The Student Room Group

Kids being bullied at school for not playing fortnite, while those good at the game..

become more popular in class. Traditionally kids who were hardcore gamers were not that popular, but now in the new era the tables have turned. With fornite getting 45 million players in just 3 months and experts claiming the game will keep growing for another 2 years and peak after 5 years at the very minimum (source: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/why-is-fortnite-so-popular,news-26921.html), it seems the game is here to stay!

How do you guys feel about this? I think parents should encourage their children to play more fortnite instead of restricting them as it will help with their social well being. In the new age, the most popular in the class will no longer be the best at sports, it will be the one with the highest fortnite win count. The game is expected to hit 100+ million players by year end according to most experts.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I'm not a gamer and it doesn't appeal to me. If I'm unpopular because of it then so be it, I would rather be who I am than to follow the prevailing trend. At secondary school many ridiculed me for my taste in music (I'm a big Mike Oldfield fan) - but for me it felt better to surprise people with my real tastes than to lie and like what everyone else did. From my perspective, I'd say the whole idea that playing fortnite helps with children with their social wellbeing is nonsense, if I was a parent I would tell my children to be who they want to be and be proud of that.
lmao Fortnite is not even a good game
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Nutter

If it's not good why do 45 million play it and why is it still growing? Experts claim it will grow for another 2 years

Also, wouldn't you be willing to give this amazing game a try if it meant becoming more popular?
Reply 4
Also, fortnite is very beginner friendly so a new player could pick it up in a few days.
Reply 5
Original post by fortnite1
If it's not good why do 45 million play it and why is it still growing? Experts claim it will grow for another 2 years

Also, wouldn't you be willing to give this amazing game a try if it meant becoming more popular?

It's free which is why it's so popular. Compared to other games it's average/below average to most. ATM it's the new Minecraft and like Minecraft at some point will become 'cringy' to play. However, I will admit it's done very well to give unknown youtubers/streamers a boost 'cause they are good at it. It's made some people millionaires which i respect.
Reply 6
I don't think parents need to encourage their children to play specific video games. Let the kid do what they want with their free time. It's pretty tragic if Fortnite actually dictates who is popular in a class, especially because I doubt it's popularity will be as long lasting as you suggest. Once the next big (free) thing comes out, it will be largely ingored, and even though it will still have a player base, it won't have the same effect on popularity or whatever.
Never played it. Don't care.
Fornite sucks but it still is better than minecraft and develops the strategy element and reactions of children playing. It's okay I guess.
Kids these days probably don't know the difference between an Ambassador and a Deadringer
smh
Why do I get the feeling OP is a 13 year old...at best.
Original post by Lord Nutter

Ehhh... Compared to half the junk devs have been putting out these last few years, it's not that bad.

Numbers and how good something is are two different things... The Music industry is a perfect example of that, there's plenty of crap that makes it up into the charts. I'd also imagine the fact that the game is free plays into it...
End schools and give children Google.

Education goes through the roof, bullying becomes near extinct.

There's still online bullying, but you just have to inform the children that you really can just ignore them this time, it doesn't matter, and death threats aren't real.
Reply 13
Virgins who take it too seriously are still unpopular. It's the people who mess around and have fun on it who are liked in my school

Experts also say that everyone has an opinion and you dont know what "research" is.

PUBG was HUGE on its release and no one expected it. Its not a "good" game with its many flaws but its very popular like fortnite so it must be something.
Original post by TheMcSame
Ehhh... Compared to half the junk devs have been putting out these last few years, it's not that bad.

Numbers and how good something is are two different things... The Music industry is a perfect example of that, there's plenty of crap that makes it up into the charts. I'd also imagine the fact that the game is free plays into it...

Agreed
Reply 16
It'd be interesting to see how their fortnite building skills stand up to a real life punch in the jaw.
become more popular in class. Traditionally kids who were hardcore gamers were not that popular, but now in the new era the tables have turned. With fornite getting 45 million players in just 3 months and experts claiming the game will keep growing for another 2 years and peak after 5 years at the very minimum (source: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/why-is-fortnite-so-popular,news-26921.html), it seems the game is here to stay!

How do you guys feel about this? I think parents should encourage their children to play more fortnite instead of restricting them as it will help with their social well being. In the new age, the most popular in the class will no longer be the best at sports, it will be the one with the highest fortnite win count. The game is expected to hit 100+ million players by year end according to most experts.

PUBG > Fortnite
Reply 18
once a guy called my friend a disgrace cause he doesn't play fortnite
I'm reminded that this happened to me with GTA Vice City.

I wasn't going to do well in Geography GCSE (love the general subject, but had a boring teacher and bad subject matter) so I skipped the coursework to concentrate on all the other subjects' coursework. Then my mum found out and forced me to do the coursework, and punished me by not letting me have Vice City for a week after release.

Of course every single other child was playing it, so I was shunned, unable to join in conversation and considered more uncool than I already was. It was something I never recovered from, at least until a singing competition brought the fickle masses back to my corner, and learning that violence IS the answer ended bullying. But in the final year of school, all too late.

The End.

Quick Reply

Latest