The Student Room Group

How can you be an atheist?

This isn't to start fights, I generally want to know. I understand being agnostic but it doesn't make sense to me that anyone can be just plain atheist.

Until science proves everything concretely, it doesn't really prove anything. I'm not denouncing science - I love it! I'm a biochem a level student and I wanna study medicine.

But I don't think it has all the answers - personally, I think the bible has all the answers which get proved through science.

Anyways, I could go on forever but I actually wanna know opinions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Buddhists would say that God-bothering is an instance of reification that breeds attachment and thus can only lead to dissatisfaction.
here we go again :/
i guess it's just the belief that science can explain more things than religion can, with evidence, and so to weigh it all up in the end, people will most likely believe science over religion.

plus there's the whole issue with science actually being able to 'prove' all of the theories it puts out but with religion its all in a matter of believing and having faith, which not everyone is up for. then there's the basic arguments i got from learning gcse rs, 'if there's an all powerful being like God, then why is there suffering in the world? if He is so benevolent and all mighty, how does he allow people to suffer etc etc'
Reply 4
po
Original post by gjd800
The Buddhists would say that God-bothering is an instance of reification that breeds attachment and thus can only lead to dissatisfaction.

I find this an interesting viewpoint considering that I felt dissatisfied before I got more invested in my faith :smile: But is the Buddha not a God then? I thought he was
Reply 5
the bible is full of inaccuracies, contradictions, sexism and misogyny (alongside a horrific amount of rape), and doesn't answer any questions imo. yes you can use it to find a sense of higher purpose and answer spiritual questions etc but I can't take something written by hundreds of separate people and translated 30 different times so meaning is distorted, seriously
Im more confused at agnostics. You believe there’s a god but you dont wanna do anything about it...
Original post by Frizzaayy
This isn't to start fights, I generally want to know. I understand being agnostic but it doesn't make sense to me that anyone can be just plain atheist.

Until science proves everything concretely, it doesn't really prove anything. I'm not denouncing science - I love it! I'm a biochem a level student and I wanna study medicine.

But I don't think it has all the answers - personally, I think the bible has all the answers which get proved through science.

I'm an atheist but I don't believe in science, or anything. I just basically dont care to think about things such as 'how the world was made' as I believe it won't change my life in anyway or form. :/ I feel like it's way too complicated to think about and no one knows anything for 100% truth. So as long as it's not affecting me, I choose to not think about it. I hope this made sense idk how to really explain it
Reply 8
po

I find this an interesting viewpoint considering that I felt dissatisfied before I got more invested in my faith :smile: But is the Buddha not a God then? I thought he was

No, he was just a bloke that worked out how he could quell his worldly dissatisfactions.
Reply 9
Original post by blessmyseoul
i guess it's just the belief that science can explain more things than religion can, with evidence, and so to weigh it all up in the end, people will most likely believe science over religion.

plus there's the whole issue with science actually being able to 'prove' all of the theories it puts out but with religion its all in a matter of believing and having faith, which not everyone is up for. then there's the basic arguments i got from learning gcse rs, 'if there's an all powerful being like God, then why is there suffering in the world? if He is so benevolent and all mighty, how does he allow people to suffer etc etc'

I suppose but science in itself can be backwards. Because this experiment went well, my theory is true. However this experiment lacks validity and reliability and is contradicted by this experiment. I haven't read every verse in the bible so I can't answer everything but God gave us free will, it's one of our gifts. So when we choose to do bad we have to face the consequences because He is just.
Reply 10
Original post by blessmyseoul

btw the way is you dp Sehun??
You just don't believe. It's like children grow up and realise Santa isn't real. That happens with God too.

It is not possible to prove everything, but it is possible to disprove theories with evidence which is what science does. What in the bible has been proved through science? Please link the scientific article. I would not want you treating me if you think the bible has all the answers.:lol: It is not hard to be an atheist but you would only understand if you were one, just like I can't understand how people can obliviously follow an outdated story book, something I had pondered as a young child when I was reading the bible and going to church. I have never once believed it and was shocked to discover that millions of people follow it. Thankfully atheists are becoming more and more common as more people become educated and more aware.
Reply 13
Original post by Cjoness
the bible is full of inaccuracies, contradictions, sexism and misogyny (alongside a horrific amount of rape), and doesn't answer any questions imo. yes you can use it to find a sense of higher purpose and answer spiritual questions etc but I can't take something written by hundreds of separate people and translated 30 different times so meaning is distorted, seriously

A lot of the things written in the bible were contextual - for example, wearing different fabrics had to do with the way they used to dress and ties with paganism. And womanly submission does not equate to sexism as we're all equally precious in God's eyes. However, even if you didn't believe in Christianity, surely just ruling God out is a bit much?
btw the way is you dp Sehun??

sadkslfs yea
Reply 15
Original post by Jheinexx
Im more confused at agnostics. You believe there’s a god but you dont wanna do anything about it...

Aren't agnostics just not sure whether or not there is one i.e. open minded ??
Original post by Cjoness

The Quran was never changed :wink:
Reply 17

Most atheists aren't 100% sure that there is no God but they choose not to believe in one because there is no evidence.

For example, you are an atheist about the greek mythical Gods I assume like Zeus. You're maybe not 100% sure that Zeus doesn't exist but it's very unlikely so you don't believe in him. So you are an atheist about this God. "Atheists" don't believe in any God.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by sxhxl
I'm an atheist but I don't believe in science, or anything. I just basically dont care to think about things such as 'how the world was made' as I believe it won't change my life in anyway or form. :/ I feel like it's way too complicated to think about and no one knows anything for 100% truth. So as long as it's not affecting me, I choose to not think about it. I hope this made sense idk how to really explain it

That's fair enough to be honest. I just find that sometimes what we think our purpose is can start to affect our lives and how we make our decisions. But I can see how you can take that stance :smile:
Original post by Cjoness

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending