The Student Room Group

What is emulsification?

Was revising about enzymes in the digestive system, and I found out that bile emulsifies fats, which speeds up the digestion of lipids. Was just wondering what it means by "emulsifies"?
When fat [lipid] is emulsified in the presence of bile, it is split into tiny globules that intersperse with the water in the duodenum (which is where bile enters the gut via the common bile duct which carries it there from the gall-bladder [where it is stored after being made by the liver]). This is a bit like if you mix a bit of oil and water in a small bottle and shake it quite hard.

The fact that the fat is now present in thousands of tiny globules means that its surface area on which the enzyme [in this case pancreatic lipase] can act is greatly increased, so digestion can take place efficiently.

A person with liver disease, whereby bile is not made properly, or someone whose bile duct is blocked by cancer [for instance] cannot digest fat well, and they pass fatty stool that stinks (ugh!).

I hope this makes it easier to understand, yeah?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, correct? Well done!

M
Reply 2
Original post by macpatelgh
When fat [lipid] is emulsified in the presence of bile, it is split into tiny globules that intersperse with the water in the duodenum (which is where bile enters the gut via the common bile duct which carries it there from the gall-bladder [where it is stored after being made by the liver]). This is a bit like if you mix a bit of oil and water in a small bottle and shake it quite hard.

The fact that the fat is now present in thousands of tiny globules means that its surface area on which the enzyme [in this case pancreatic lipase] can act is greatly increased, so digestion can take place efficiently.

A person with liver disease, whereby bile is not made properly, or someone whose bile duct is blocked by cancer [for instance] cannot digest fat well, and they pass fatty stool that stinks (ugh!).

I hope this makes it easier to understand, yeah?

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, correct? Well done!

M

Cheers for the explanation - I've got it now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending