The Student Room Group

i need help revising

i need help revising like where are good places to get revision materials, where do i start, how do i revise?
Make a revision timetable and STICK TO IT
Know the specifications for each of your subjects
Make notes on each topic , and do past papers on each topic or unit
Read examiners Reports for English so you know what they want
Reply 2
Original post by cheernast
i need help revising like where are good places to get revision materials, where do i start, how do i revise?

Do u want my help making a revision timetable
Reply 3
Original post by caymen
Do u want my help making a revision timetable

yes that would help
Reply 4
yes that would help

What time u free tomorrow todo your timetable and before u go bed tonight can u private message me the following information please
what subjects u doing
exam dates
school times
times u can study
other times u can't study

Can u let me know soon if u can do this please
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
yes that would help

Can u answer my private message please
I need help making a study timetable too!
Reply 7
Original post by aannaduffy
I need help making a study timetable too!

Private message me and ill help u make a revision timetable as well
Original post by caymen
Private message me and ill help u make a revision timetable as well

im not sure how i’m new to tsr x
Reply 9

Ill do it for u
Reply 10

I've private messaged u
- Youtube videos are great for many subjects especially science and English Lit as there is so much usefull content out. I recommend, "freesciencelessons" for science and "mrbruff" for english.

- Personally I wouldn't rely heavily on revision guides unless it is to make notes from them as you can easily get lost in a revision guide and its not very useful to just read of them.

- Might sound weird but for subjects like English Literature where you are studying books avoid CGP books, purely because everyone uses them, for high bands you are expected to come up with original things, I would reccomend York notes.
- Write as much as you can in different formats, try to put the same information in differnt ways, eg typing, posters, mindmaps, bulletpoints, listening..
- Break revision up into 40 min slots and have frequent water breaks.
-always make a to do list so you dont end up doing too little or too much
- Try to reward your self at the end of it, but only if you get everything complete, make the rewards realistic please, for example for everyday of work I complete I reward myself with 3 eps of whatever I'm watching on Netflix.

Hope this helps, and you've not left revision too late :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
These are my 3 favourite revision tips:

1. create a timetable and plan all your days from here to the exams (as others have said!)
1.1. study more than one subject/topic per day because it's better to do small chunks than loooong periods on the same thing
1.2. study the same subject/topic again a few days later. You'll always forget stuff, so if you revise again, your memory gets stronger

2. use visual elements
2.1. things are harder to understand when it's only words.
2.2. examples: mind maps, colour coding, timelines, diagrams

3. practice questions
3.1. you`ll learn so much more if you test your memory than if you are simply passively reading notes
3.2. flash cards, past papers, and revision websites such as www.senecalearning.com (very good and free!) or tassomai (ok but not free)

Hope that helps! If you want more details, look for The Learning Scientists blog, they are actual scientists and have a podcast giving revision tips to students
Reply 14
Original post by LarissaAlves
These are my 3 favourite revision tips:

1. create a timetable and plan all your days from here to the exams (as others have said!)
1.1. study more than one subject/topic per day because it's better to do small chunks than loooong periods on the same thing
1.2. study the same subject/topic again a few days later. You'll always forget stuff, so if you revise again, your memory gets stronger

2. use visual elements
2.1. things are harder to understand when it's only words.
2.2. examples: mind maps, colour coding, timelines, diagrams

3. practice questions
3.1. you`ll learn so much more if you test your memory than if you are simply passively reading notes
3.2. flash cards, past papers, and revision websites such as www.senecalearning.com (very good and free!) or tassomai (ok but not free)

Hope that helps! If you want more details, look for The Learning Scientists blog, they are actual scientists and have a podcast giving revision tips to students

Can u help me make myself a revision timetable please
Reply 15
Original post by blue338
- Youtube videos are great for many subjects especially science and English Lit as there is so much usefull content out. I recommend, "freesciencelessons" for science and "mrbruff" for english.

- Personally I wouldn't rely heavily on revision guides unless it is to make notes from them as you can easily get lost in a revision guide and its not very useful to just read of them.

- Might sound weird but for subjects like English Literature where you are studying books avoid CGP books, purely because everyone uses them, for high bands you are expected to come up with original things, I would reccomend York notes.
- Write as much as you can in different formats, try to put the same information in differnt ways, eg typing, posters, mindmaps, bulletpoints, listening..
- Break revision up into 40 min slots and have frequent water breaks.
-always make a to do list so you dont end up doing too little or too much
- Try to reward your self at the end of it, but only if you get everything complete, make the rewards realistic please, for example for everyday of work I complete I reward myself with 3 eps of whatever I'm watching on Netflix.

Hope this helps, and you've not left revision too late :smile:

Have u got any other tips please
For science use physicsandmaths tutor. I just recently discovered it and its quite good; some of the questions are repetitive but it stays in your head, i guess. If you are doing edexcel maths, just search google for congleton high 9-1 maths and its got a whole bunch of practice papers in the style of the edexcel ones. If you want something that just quizes you on your science, download Temple GCSE (i think its only available on ios). It's small topic tests, not very helpful if you want to learn material, its better for checking you understand a topic. Hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending