The Student Room Group

Awkwardness at the barber?

Ok so I need to get this off my chest for some reason. Does anyone else find it really awkward getting their haircut? When making small talk with the barber I find it 100x more difficult than I would if I wasn't getting my haircut because I can't use hand gestures I'm literally just sitting there like a statue and I never know where to look because I hate looking at myself in the mirror especially when I'm talking. Is anyone else like this or am I just weird haha?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate it as well, the whole experience I find uncomfortable.
Yeah I get you!! I have the same omg 😅 I must look so weird, looking everywhere but at myself and the barber
Reply 3
Original post by hatcs001
Yeah I get you!! I have the same omg 😅 I must look so weird, looking everywhere but at myself and the barber

Exactly! If I was sitting at a table and talking to them it would be so much easier but the whole barber environment is awkward because I have to sit like a statue and watch myself talk in a mirror.
Reply 4
my barbers just talk to each other in a different language so theres no need fore me to talk and theres no awkward silence
Original post by aceplayyt
my barbers just talk to each other in a different language so theres no need fore me to talk and theres no awkward silence

Lol this.

Then you I sometimes get that one barber who asks "Hows school" and gives me a 10 minute lecture on why I shouldn't drop out of school.
Reply 6
Original post by aceplayyt

You guys are lucky. Where I go there's this 1 hot female barber so when she's cutting my hair it's even more awkward cause I wanna be friendly but I just feel so awkward.
It is not obligatory to make small talk.

I think it was Terence, way back in ancient Rome who, when asked "How would you like your hair cut, sir?" first replied "In silence!"
Yes I also find it uncomfortable when getting hair cut. I have no idea where to look and when I happen to look in the mirror I always then notice that the person cutting my hair happens to look in the mirror as well an get that awkward moment of now she thinks I checking her out or something. For me most of the time I get hair cut it is done in silence which is more awkward as will only talk about something briefly then nothing.

I would probably me more comfortable if they just talked and talked to fill the silence
i used to hate it, but now it is a good laugh...
Haha its so awkward and they expect me to talk but what am I supposed to say if I don’t know you😂😂
Original post by susu66s
Haha its so awkward and they expect me to talk but what am I supposed to say if I don’t know you😂😂

I know right I always debate with myself whether I should start a conversation or if the barber wants to concentrate so I always wait for the barber to talk first and the conversation usually dies out quickly like:

Barber: Are you at uni?

Me: Yeah

Barber: What are you studying?

Me: Engineering

Barber: Are you enjoying it?

Me: Yeah it's alright a bit stressful though (when I actually hate it lol)

*silence*
Original post by Unknown-99
I know right I always debate with myself whether I should start a conversation or if the barber wants to concentrate so I always wait for the barber to talk first and the conversation usually dies out quickly like:

Barber: Are you at uni?

Me: Yeah

Barber: What are you studying?

Me: Engineering

Barber: Are you enjoying it?

Me: Yeah it's alright a bit stressful though (when I actually hate it lol)

*silence*

Omg same and I never know where to look loool
Original post by scorpion95
Yes I also find it uncomfortable when getting hair cut. I have no idea where to look and when I happen to look in the mirror I always then notice that the person cutting my hair happens to look in the mirror as well an get that awkward moment of now she thinks I checking her out or something. For me most of the time I get hair cut it is done in silence which is more awkward as will only talk about something briefly then nothing.

I would probably me more comfortable if they just talked and talked to fill the silence

Yeah I think another problem is I never really know what to ask the barber apart from asking how they are or if it has been a busy day.
Original post by susu66s
Omg same and I never know where to look loool

The not knowing where to look thing is the worst. The barber I go to has a full wall mirror too so I can't even look to the side of the mirror or anything and watching myself talk is so weird and I don't want to stare at the barber cause they'll think I'm a creep.
The not knowing where to look thing is the worst. The barber I go to has a full wall mirror too so I can't even look to the side of the mirror or anything and watching myself talk is so weird and I don't want to stare at the barber cause they'll think I'm a creep.

The hairdresser I go to has like a separate mirror for each stylist so I just stare at my hair in front of me lmaooo the awkwardness is to the max . I don’t think they care though of course because where else are we supposed to look😂
Original post by susu66s
The hairdresser I go to has like a separate mirror for each stylist so I just stare at my hair in front of me lmaooo the awkwardness is to the max . I don’t think they care though of course because where else are we supposed to look😂

I do that too I just stare at my hair or I look around constantly. I don't think they care because they cut loads of peoples hair every day so they'll probably forget about me straight away but I always think people are judging me.
Ok so I need to get this off my chest for some reason. Does anyone else find it really awkward getting their haircut? When making small talk with the barber I find it 100x more difficult than I would if I wasn't getting my haircut because I can't use hand gestures I'm literally just sitting there like a statue and I never know where to look because I hate looking at myself in the mirror especially when I'm talking. Is anyone else like this or am I just weird haha?

It's hella weird.

Barber initiates and i just reply like with one sentence (sometimes i duno if hes talking to me or someone else and i reply anyway then it gets even more awkward and embarrassing). If i get lucky, someone he knows from the area might come along and talk to him or he gets a phone call or maybe just concentrate on cutting my hair while talking to the other barbers.
I do that too I just stare at my hair or I look around constantly. I don't think they care because they cut loads of peoples hair every day so they'll probably forget about me straight away but I always think people are judging me.

Yeah I used to think that everyone would judge me but I don’t really care anymore , tbh I couldn’t care less if people judge me. I think it’s just the level of confidence one has that causes this .
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
It's hella weird.

Barber initiates and i just reply like with one sentence (sometimes i duno if hes talking to me or someone else and i reply anyway then it gets even more awkward and embarrassing). If i get lucky, someone he knows from the area might come along and talk to him or he gets a phone call or maybe just concentrate on cutting my hair while talking to the other barbers.

Yeah it's always a relief when they start talking to another barber. One of the most awkward thing that's probably happened to me is when the barber saw me checking the side of my head because I was checking how short it was and she said "Uh ohhh someone isn't happy" when I actually was but was just having a look and even though I'm sure she was joking it was awkward.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest