The Student Room Group

I'm ugly without makeup.

I always go out with filled in eyebrows and concealer under my eyes and mascara because I look dead without it. People think i'm pretty even though I just put the same amount of makeup that other girls put but somehow there's a big contrast between my makeup and non-makeup face, unlike other girls who are still somewhat pretty without makeup.

My face without makeup: thin, light eyebrows, dark circles under eyes and dead-looking eyes (my eyes are only pretty with mascara).

I don't want to be 'fake' and wish I was one of those naturally pretty girls. People don't see me as I really am but it's just really annoying that the only makeup I use is for like general corrections (concealer, etc) + mascara for brightening the eyes that everyone uses but on me there's a big difference when I don't use it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And because of this I don't ever want to get into a relationship (I've never been in one before).
burn all your makeup if you're tempted to use it and see how things feels without it
Reply 3
I can bet any money you aren't ugly without makeup. You need to stop comparing yourself to other girls and saying "I wish I had their this and that" and start looking at yourself and saying "actually my teeth are nice, so I must have a nice smile. And I guess my eyes aren't that bad they glimmer in the light." The more you begin to change how you look at yourself the less anxious you'll be and the more confident you'll be without makeup and this confidence will show.
Also, you shouldn't be seeing makeup as something to mask your anxieties about how you view yourself, but as something you enjoy doing that brings out your features more. So you say your eyes look better with makeup, to me this means you must already have great eyes and it's just that you don't see it this way. Trust me, I may be a guy but I've learnt enough about makeup through a relationship to know that you are pretty without it and the makeup just highlights your attractive features.
Anyone who is worth being in a relationship with shouldn’t care about what you look like without makeup. Speaking for myself, an attractive girl is one who accepts her flaws and feels comfortable in her skin, with or without makeup. That’s not to say you shouldn’t wear makeup, but you should feel that it is your choice and that you can go out makeupless.

And although there are some girls who are naturally good-looking, they’re probably far less common than you think, and I’m sure they lack in other areas which you are great in!
Hi!

I'm actually quite new to TSR so maybe my advice maybe isn't as good as a 'veteran' user, but here goes anyway!

Everything you've described- eye bags, light eyebrows, etc... it's not uncommon, in fact its probably a lot more than you think- myself I have the exact same problems and it doesn't make me any less 'real' or deserving of love from myself or others! Second- what are you comparing yourself to? If its other girls around you, I can reassure that most of them probably wear the same amount of makeup and think the same things, you're not alone and unfortunately its a real tough habit to kick when you're in the cycle of hating the way you look without makeup and then resenting yourself for wearing it.
You do NOT have to feel guilty for doing something that makes you feel better!
Wearing makeup certainly does not make you fake, if anything it's a skill- I know I struggle to get it right sometimes:h: I'm absolutely sure you look beautiful with and without it, but you seem really insecure about this :frown:
It's very important to remember that beauty isn't a fixed thing, it's not just one person or the majority's perception that is law, and you are allowed to love yourself no matter how you come- good day, bad day, makeup or not. Also ugly is a very harsh word to use on yourself- maybe you wouldn't believe anyone who told you otherwise? But at the very least you're not alone in having these 'flaws', most humans have them! I hardly think you'd call anyone else ugly for having those features, therefore you don't deserve to be called ugly by anyone either, not least yourself.
Reply 6
It's actually impossible for me to go out without makeup - I've never done this in years. I just look ill without it.
Reply 7
I know you're all trying to make me feel confident but I bet if you saw me with makeup then randomly without, you would be like wow she's so average and looks quite ill too
Reply 8
thank you all though, I really appreciate it. I think if I moved to another country, I might possibly start wearing no makeup at all just to get used to my true self without it.
ngl sometimes ive seen girls w dark rings that suit them better than concealer loool
Original post by YouAreAYute
ngl sometimes ive seen girls w dark rings that suit them better than concealer loool

i'm defo not one of those girls lol
Original post by Anonymous
I know you're all trying to make me feel confident but I bet if you saw me with makeup then randomly without, you would be like wow she's so average and looks quite ill too

‘Average’ isn’t necessarily a bad thing. And if people who do know you and see you without makeup suddenly, you’re right that they will notice it. It’s just like a friend who gets glasses for the first time. Your friends would adjust to it if you did it consistently.
i'm defo not one of those girls lol

im not gonna try make you feel pretty, bc i know how it feels to think you look like sh*te lol, but are there any products yo may think you dont need as much of or wearing it in as large of an amount?
could start wearing clear mascara instead for example?
I think learning to love yourself naturally without it is important. The real opinion that matters is yours.

I almost never wear any make up at all except lipstick and other products on special occasions because they all wreck my skin. I look pretty awful to be honest, I’m probably one of the ugliest girls in the country but I’ve become content with it within myself.
It's actually impossible for me to go out without makeup - I've never done this in years. I just look ill without it.

It's not impossible. You could very easily go outside without makeup. Just one foot in front of the other. You just choose not to. There's nothing physically stopping you from doing it. It's your choice.

Everyone without makeup has light eyebrows (unless they have naturally dark eyebrow hair) and most people have dark circles under their eyes. I'm really pale and have never seen myself without dark circles. Sometimes my family / friends ask me if I'm unwell because of it. It doesn't make me ugly - it makes me a normal person.
Original post by YouAreAYute
im not gonna try make you feel pretty, bc i know how it feels to think you look like sh*te lol, but are there any products yo may think you dont need as much of or wearing it in as large of an amount?
could start wearing clear mascara instead for example?

thanks

clear mascara doesn't really make a difference to my eyes tbh
Hey anonymous, I feel you.

There's a lot of pressure on women to look perfect and have flawless skin all the time. I don't wear makeup, though feel the pressure to do so. I once put up a picture of myself with makeup on social media and got comments like "You look GORGEOUS with makeup." I know I can enhance my looks by wearing makeup, but it's a mask, it's not me.

Makeup should be a choice, but for many women it isn't; as you have conveyed, it determines how we feel about ourselves and how others perceive us. It can be the decision maker for interviews, unfortunately.

Beneath the makeup, we all have flaws. I have dark rings around my eyes, my skin is prone to inflammation. I still (in my mid-twenties) get some mild hormonal acne.

When I stopped wearing makeup in my early 20s I realised how much damage the makeup had been doing to my skin. Foundation blocks pores, upsets the oil balance. Go without for a while, and you might see your skin return to its natural state.

My husband has made me feel a lot more confident about my looks, telling me he prefers me without makeup. I've come to realise it's mainly other women (and shallow men) who like women more with makeup. I've come to feel more confident in myself without it.
Reply 17
I'm ugly on the inside, there's no coveriing that up!
Original post by Ray_Shadows
burn all your makeup if you're tempted to use it and see how things feels without it

Worst thing you could do
Worst thing you could do

nah

Latest

Trending

Trending