The Student Room Group

Universities that allow resits for A-levels for engineering?

Hi guys,
I am really interested in doing a vocational science related degree, I have always loved the idea of medicine but never really thought I could be a doctor untill recently. I withdraw my place at Lancaster to do engineering due to medicinal reasons but since then I have really found an interest in medicine and confidence too- I only got ABB (although very high Bs) in bio maths and physics- so this year I am teaching myself chemistry so that I can apply for medicine for 2019 entry. I feel I let myself down a lot in maths and physics (I know everyone says this but I seriously did)- I've emailed medical unis and some of them will be happy to achieve my application as I'm a first time med applicant. My Q is, if I don't meet the grades for medicine this year, or my UKCAT is too low. I would like to do engineering (maybe aerospace/general) in 2018. Do you guys know of any engineering universities that would accept an A*/A in maths done a year later with chem? Thank you.
Basically asking for a heads up on universities you guys know that allow retakes for engineering!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by wannabedoc123
Hi guys,
I am really interested in doing a vocational science related degree, I have always loved the idea of medicine but never really thought I could be a doctor untill recently. I withdraw my place at Lancaster to do engineering due to medicinal reasons but since then I have really found an interest in medicine and confidence too- I only got ABB (although very high Bs) in bio maths and physics- so this year I am teaching myself chemistry so that I can apply for medicine for 2019 entry. I feel I let myself down a lot in maths and physics (I know everyone says this but I seriously did)- I've emailed medical unis and some of them will be happy to achieve my application as I'm a first time med applicant. My Q is, if I don't meet the grades for medicine this year, or my UKCAT is too low. I would like to do engineering (maybe aerospace/general) in 2018. Do you guys know of any engineering universities that would accept an A*/A in maths done a year later with chem? Thank you.
Basically asking for a heads up on universities you guys know that allow retakes for engineering!!

There are only a small number of medical schools that consider resits.
The grades for good engineering degree arent far off medicine.
You need to check the entrance requirements/ info at the unis you are interested in. I might be missing something, but I havent seen the same sort of restriction against resits for engineering degrees. If you have the grades I dont think you will have an issue.
^Pretty much this, the grades for medicine are around AAA-A*AA and good MEng programs tend to ask for A*AA with a handful asking for AAA, for BEng you would be looking at AAB normally. So you wouldn't necessarily be better off with engineering if your grades weren't up to par for medicine.

To be honest, I'd go straight for nursing if I were in your position, which I kind of was, I just didn't know how good of an option nursing was at the time. If you're good enough to be considering medicine, then you would likely excel in a nursing career. They make good money (better than doctors during early career, and if you're ambitious as a med applicant should be, better than GPs in mid to late career), they're always in demand, you have a lot of career options, and plenty of opportunities to go abroad.
Original post by Helloworld_95
^Pretty much this, the grades for medicine are around AAA-A*AA and good MEng programs tend to ask for A*AA with a handful asking for AAA, for BEng you would be looking at AAB normally. So you wouldn't necessarily be better off with engineering if your grades weren't up to par for medicine.

To be honest, I'd go straight for nursing if I were in your position, which I kind of was, I just didn't know how good of an option nursing was at the time. If you're good enough to be considering medicine, then you would likely excel in a nursing career. They make good money (better than doctors during early career, and if you're ambitious as a med applicant should be, better than GPs in mid to late career), they're always in demand, you have a lot of career options, and plenty of opportunities to go abroad.

I see, thank you for your reply!!
Original post by 999tigger
There are only a small number of medical schools that consider resits.
The grades for good engineering degree arent far off medicine.
You need to check the entrance requirements/ info at the unis you are interested in. I might be missing something, but I havent seen the same sort of restriction against resits for engineering degrees. If you have the grades I dont think you will have an issue.

Yes, I agree, I just know I let myself down and understand it's not an option to get less than AA in the summer. I know engineering requirements are high too just needed to know if they'll have restrictions like many med schools do
Reply 5
Original post by wannabedoc123
Yes, I agree, I just know I let myself down and understand it's not an option to get less than AA in the summer. I know engineering requirements are high too just needed to know if they'll have restrictions like many med schools do

There are many more universities offering Engineering than there are MedSchools and most are not as "restrictive".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi all! Does anybody know of any Engineering (or especially Naval engineering) univerities in UK that do not accept resit from international students who take IAL edexcel examinations? Thank you very much!
Reply 7
Original post by physion
Hi all! Does anybody know of any Engineering (or especially Naval engineering) univerities in UK that do not accept resit from international students who take IAL edexcel examinations? Thank you very much!

Nearly all universities allow resits. There's very few universities offering Naval Engineering in the UK, just check each one for their requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
Nearly all universities allow resits. There's very few universities offering Naval Engineering in the UK, just check each one for their requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! Do you know which are the best in engineering generally?
Reply 9
Original post by physion
Thanks a lot! Do you know which are the best in engineering generally?

"Best" for what? You can see the rankings for yourself, and note they are all somewhat different because they have different methodologies. Also, note that rankings don't matter to engineering employers.

Pick a course that most interests you, at a university you want to spend 3 or 4 years at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Resit or not, if you have the grades I don't see the issue, except Oxbridge as they are really picky
Original post by Doonesbury
"Best" for what? You can see the rankings for yourself, and note they are all somewhat different because they have different methodologies. Also, note that rankings don't matter to engineering employers.

Pick a course that most interests you, at a university you want to spend 3 or 4 years at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Why rankings don't matter to engineering employers? I have heard that it is very important for international employers. Is it wrong?
Reply 12
Original post by physion
Thank you! Why rankings don't matter to engineering employers? I have heard that it is very important for international employers. Is it wrong?

Employers are looking to hire good potential engineers, not their university.

Also rankings change from year to year, and from publisher to publisher. And they all measure different things too, eg why would an employer be interested in the number of research citations at a university for an undergraduate job applicant...

Just make sure any course is fully accredited by the relevant body, eg IMechE, and it will be internationally recognised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest