The Student Room Group

What you wish you knew or practiced before starting medical School

Hello Everyone. :biggrin:

I'm a current medical applicant (Graduate-Entry Medicine) for 2018 entry .
I am so eager to know what current medical students or Doctors would've done differently to prepare for medical school.

Imagine you had a gap-year off academics (like myself) what would you have done differently to start you off on your first year?
Anything as basic as Daily habits, books to read, note-taking, improving long-term & short-term memory for exams, organising your day etc.

Maybe you found certain modules overbearing and long, perhaps applicants could prepare for these areas ahead of time, especially during the summer holiday before term starts.

I would appreciate the input you can all give, thank you !
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
A normal sleeping schedule.
Reply 2
Do things you enjoy - there is more to life than medicine! I'd never been a full time student before doing my previous degree as online modules - I've managed okay so far.

Original post by temi1234

I am so eager to know what current medical students or Doctors would've done differently to prepare for medical school.

Imagine you had a gap-year off academics (like myself) what would you have done differently to start you off on your first year?
Anything as basic as Daily habits, books to read, note-taking, improving long-term & short-term memory for exams, organising your day etc.

Maybe you found certain modules overbearing and long, perhaps applicants could prepare for these areas ahead of time, especially during the summer holiday before term starts.

Content wise just make sure you fully understand A-level biology, it'll help a lot at the start. Pre-studying isn't really needed imo, you'll probably forget most of it.

The most important thing i wish i'd done was to work out how i was going to take notes in lectures and memorise the content earlier (e.g hand written vs typed, flashcards ect), but aside from that just enjoy yourself before you start.
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
Content wise just make sure you fully understand A-level biology, it'll help a lot at the start. Pre-studying isn't really needed imo, you'll probably forget most of it.

The most important thing i wish i'd done was to work out how i was going to take notes in lectures and memorise the content earlier (e.g hand written vs typed, flashcards ect), but aside from that just enjoy yourself before you start.

Thanks for the input !
So when in comes to my understanding of A-level Biology, I think I'm ok in that area. I've tutored the subject for 2 years and have an undergrad degree in Biomedical science.

When it comes to revision and note-taking techniques, ive been practicing for the past 3 months, im hoping i could get more tips on the pace and quantity of work.
Reply 5
Original post by CEW19
Do things you enjoy - there is more to life than medicine! I'd never been a full time student before doing my previous degree as online modules - I've managed okay so far.

I'll have a year and a half out of further education before medical school, so im pretty much fine with life outside medical school. My social life and hobbies are filled with lots of fun and experience, so I'm ready to bring my head back into these books! :biggrin:
Please give me some tips lol
Reply 6
Original post by Wolfy^
A normal sleeping schedule.

I work a 12 hour shift as a HCA at a hospital. I tend to wake up around 6:30 every morning and sleep around 10-11pm, does that sound decent for med school?
Thanks for the input !
So when in comes to my understanding of A-level Biology, I think I'm ok in that area. I've tutored the subject for 2 years and have an undergrad degree in Biomedical science.

When it comes to revision and note-taking techniques, ive been practicing for the past 3 months, im hoping i could get more tips on the pace and quantity of work.

I'm only in first year and haven't experienced any other degree so i don't know how it compares to Biomed, but personally the workload isn't that bad so far.
I'd say i try and work 9-5 most days including lectures/tutorials/practicals, then a couple hours in the evening sometimes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I work a 12 hour shift as a HCA at a hospital. I tend to wake up around 6:30 every morning and sleep around 10-11pm, does that sound decent for med school?

Seems like you've pretty much got it down. From my previous degree I was used to late starts or afternoon starts so I really struggled when clinical placements started.
Reply 9
Original post by Wolfy^
Seems like you've pretty much got it down. From my previous degree I was used to late starts or afternoon starts so I really struggled when clinical placements started.

i hate that i have to wake up as early as 6 almost everyday, but i guess its great practice for med school
Got more money saved up :frown: That £3.5k in cash killed me off financially
Reply 11
Original post by SpringNicht
Got more money saved up :frown: That £3.5k in cash killed me off financially

lol sorry whats this about?
lol sorry whats this about?

What you need to pay in your first year if you’re on a GEM course
Reply 13
Original post by ForestCat
What you need to pay in your first year if you’re on a GEM course

yes, ive saved up for that.
Hopefully all gap year students prepare for that too, not sure about those coming str8 from their final year...good luck!
yes, ive saved up for that.
Hopefully all gap year students prepare for that too, not sure about those coming str8 from their final year...good luck!

Thanks for the good luck but I’m just about finished with GEM.
Good luck to you!
Reply 15
Thanks for the good luck but I’m just about finished with GEM.
Good luck to you!

Oh as in you're in your final year?
Oh as in you're in your final year?

Yup, just 11 weeks and I am all done!
Reply 17
Yup, just 11 weeks and I am all done!

wooohoo! congrats!
I would love some lil tips if you've got any for someone like me, what would you expect a 1st year med student entering the GEM, to prepare for? I'm done with holidays, so im keen on prepping now.
wooohoo! congrats!
I would love some lil tips if you've got any for someone like me, what would you expect a 1st year med student entering the GEM, to prepare for? I'm done with holidays, so im keen on prepping now.

Enjoy the freedom! You seriously won't get any time like this once you start (except maybe the summer of 1st year).

Its hard to prep. You don't know what is relevant and what isn't. You don't know how much detail to go into. And honestly, without the context and knowing what is relevant, you'll forget anything you do study now.

I honestly don't really think anything you do now will help.Better to go in refreshed and rested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending