The Student Room Group

How Similar Are These Different Maths Tests?

Hi, I'm planning on applying to Oxford and it's in my best interest to start practising for the MAT now, however I don't want to run out of MAT related resources months before the exam. So instead I'm practising off of content for other similar maths entrance exams. But I'm sure they're all slightly different to the MAT and was hoping you guys could weigh in with your thoughts and opinions.

STEP:
I'm doing STEP I foundation modules off of the Cambridge website and the Siklos booklet. I'm sure this has content that exceeds that of the MAT so it derives some of it's difficulty from the content and not how it makes you think outside the box. That being said, how similar is the question asking style to that of the MAT?

UKMT:
All UKMT related things require you to think outside the box, but this is with much lower level maths content than that of the MAT. Is this still good practise for being able to apply maths in contexts I'm not used to?

Standford Maths Test:
I have no idea how similar this is to the MAT, I just bought The Stanford Mathematics Problem Book off of Amazon because it was cheap. Are the questions I'll find in that book similar to those I'll find in the MAT?

Please reply with anything and everything you agree and disagree with me about.

Thank in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Retsek

You might also want to consider AEA papers (though this has a larger syllabus than MAT). I think MEI (perhaps someone else) also provides solutions to AEA papers.

STEP questions are fine but tend to involve more manipulation than MAT questions (I guess in part due to different time constraints).
Reply 2
Original post by RichE
You might also want to consider AEA papers (though this has a larger syllabus than MAT). I think MEI (perhaps someone else) also provides solutions to AEA papers.

STEP questions are fine but tend to involve more manipulation than MAT questions (I guess in part due to different time constraints).

Thank-you, is there AEA tutorial type things like the STEP foundation modules or is it accessible enough to just practise the papers (personally I don't think the STEP is very accessible, hence why there are many different resources for STEP)
Reply 3
Original post by Retsek
Thank-you, is there AEA tutorial type things like the STEP foundation modules or is it accessible enough to just practise the papers (personally I don't think the STEP is very accessible, hence why there are many different resources for STEP)

Here is the resource:

http://mei.org.uk/step-aea-solutions

The easier AEA questions should be accessible. AEA though is on the full A-level core syllabus.

Are you Year 12? How much maths have you met?
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
Here is the resource:

http://mei.org.uk/step-aea-solutions

The easier AEA questions should be accessible. AEA though is on the full A-level core syllabus.

Are you Year 12? How much maths have you met?

Yeah I'm Year 12 and I'm doing further maths and so the way my school runs it that means I've almost finished the a-level maths course

Quick Reply

Latest