The Student Room Group

Online Shopper at Sainsbury's

Has anyone past or present worked as an online shopper at Sainsbury's? If so, how was it and what do you do?
Original post by Unknown-99
Has anyone past or present worked as an online shopper at Sainsbury's? If so, how was it and what do you do?

Hey! I've worked as an online shopper since October, but I am leaving next week, as I've got to focus on exams.

From my experience, it's been really easy. All you do is push a trolley around with some totes and shop for people. The handset you use to shop with is easy to follow, and if you follow what it says, you can't mess up!

Depending on what store you're in, you have pick speed targets. You should be hitting that target or above when you start getting better at the shop. It took me about a month to get faster and better, but it depends on how quickly you pick things up.

If you want to know more, feel free to let me know. I've had fun working as an online shopper. It was relatively easy money for the job, but I guess the people at the store make it enjoyable or not as well
Reply 2
Original post by Chris_98
Hey! I've worked as an online shopper since October, but I am leaving next week, as I've got to focus on exams.

From my experience, it's been really easy. All you do is push a trolley around with some totes and shop for people. The handset you use to shop with is easy to follow, and if you follow what it says, you can't mess up!

Depending on what store you're in, you have pick speed targets. You should be hitting that target or above when you start getting better at the shop. It took me about a month to get faster and better, but it depends on how quickly you pick things up.

If you want to know more, feel free to let me know. I've had fun working as an online shopper. It was relatively easy money for the job, but I guess the people at the store make it enjoyable or not as well

Thanks for the reply. My biggest worry is not being able to find things I always forget where things are in a supermarket and the one I'm applying to is really big too. Also, when you say you push a trolley around do you just mean a normal trolley that customers use? And what do you do after you have finished putting together the order is it your responsibility to load it on to the delivery van?
Original post by Unknown-99
Thanks for the reply. My biggest worry is not being able to find things I always forget where things are in a supermarket and the one I'm applying to is really big too. Also, when you say you push a trolley around do you just mean a normal trolley that customers use? And what do you do after you have finished putting together the order is it your responsibility to load it on to the delivery van?

I can see how that a worry. I too forget where things are, but you won't have to worry about that. On the handset, the locations of items will come up telling you what aisle and area the items are. You'll get this explained, if you get the job. The handset will tell you everything from what to scan, which tote to put the items in and where the items are, so don't worry about locations.

The trolley is quite big. It's not a trolley like normal shoppers use, but one that holds eight totes. It can get quite heavy to push as you shop, so you have to be quite firm when you push.

After the shopping, it is the responsibility of the GA to sort out the van stuff, but different stores have different ways. I helped out with loading and unloading vans and such, but I also help out with stacking items on shelves after the shopping. I'm an evening shopper.
Reply 4
I can see how that a worry. I too forget where things are, but you won't have to worry about that. On the handset, the locations of items will come up telling you what aisle and area the items are. You'll get this explained, if you get the job. The handset will tell you everything from what to scan, which tote to put the items in and where the items are, so don't worry about locations.

The trolley is quite big. It's not a trolley like normal shoppers use, but one that holds eight totes. It can get quite heavy to push as you shop, so you have to be quite firm when you push.

After the shopping, it is the responsibility of the GA to sort out the van stuff, but different stores have different ways. I helped out with loading and unloading vans and such, but I also help out with stacking items on shelves after the shopping. I'm an evening shopper.

Thank you so much for the insight you've been very helpful :smile:
Reply 5

Hey I currently work as an online shopper but just wondered is the iph like golf meaning that it’s good if it’s low or is is better to have a higher number? For example I just had my first shift and my iph was 71.3 is that good? Thank you
Original post by May09
Hey I currently work as an online shopper but just wondered is the iph like golf meaning that it’s good if it’s low or is is better to have a higher number? For example I just had my first shift and my iph was 71.3 is that good? Thank you

Hi! It's been two years since I last worked at Sainsbury's so I'm not sure if things have changed with regards to the scores but when I was working, the higher the iph the better. Pretty sure iph stands for items per hour so the higher the iph, the faster you picked the items which is what you want.

As for your score, it depends on the store I think. I think the iph score in the store I worked at was 140ish pushing 150. I was averaging around 180 so I did quite well. Considering it was your first shift, I wouldn't worry about it. You're new to the job and have some ways to go to understand the lay out of the store and the equipment. You'll get faster the more you work basically - you pick it up on the job. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Hi! It's been two years since I last worked at Sainsbury's so I'm not sure if things have changed with regards to the scores but when I was working, the higher the iph the better. Pretty sure iph stands for items per hour so the higher the iph, the faster you picked the items which is what you want.

As for your score, it depends on the store I think. I think the iph score in the store I worked at was 140ish pushing 150. I was averaging around 180 so I did quite well. Considering it was your first shift, I wouldn't worry about it. You're new to the job and have some ways to go to understand the lay out of the store and the equipment. You'll get faster the more you work basically - you pick it up on the job. Hope this helps!

I'm just going to vent on this thread because I can't seem to find another one about it lol

I work at Sainsbury's, and I have my 4 week review coming up in... 2 days? Anyways, can't lie, the first 3 weeks I was super slow, not because I was new but because I was pretty lazy... I actually forgot that the review period was even I thing. Anyways, now the fuel shortage has hit, and the selves are mostly empty, It's so hard to get my IPH up! I think I might actually get the boot, which I wouldn't be too mad about since I don't really like the job, I wanted a more customer service type of job anyways.

Cold foods= average about 150 IPH
normal foods= are normally higher but since the petrol shortage has it, the shelves are mostly empty and instead of around 175 items in a run I get 75 items which sucks since I'm mostly walking past the items that would boost my IPH.
sticker foods= just ruin the whole IPH really

I guess this is just like me tho... Not trying in the down periods and now that I really have to try luck has decided "nah".
Reply 8
Sorry to hear about your experience :frown: I was just offered an interview for an online assistant at sainsburys, do you have to do early hours? Cause i’d prefer to do evenings tbh
I have been working 2days with a little support my iph went from 51 yesterday to 78 today how quickly did your iph go up.
I have an interview this week for that jb, I have some health issues will that go against me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending