The Student Room Group

Mutation vs gene mutation

In the pic ive attached, in pink ive highlighted a section of my textbook i don't really get since i first looked at it this morning. Aren't mutations and gene mutations technically the same thing? I guess a gene mutation would lead to a dna mutation but still, im slightly baffled :s

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
A gene is built out of DNA. A mutation means that a wrong base is inserted in the DNA sequence. So there is a wrong 'letter' in the DNA sequence of the gene now. A gene mutation, DNA mutation or just mutation refer all to the same thing.
Reply 2
Original post by SpongebobSwag
A gene is built out of DNA. A mutation means that a wrong base is inserted in the DNA sequence. So there is a wrong 'letter' in the DNA sequence of the gene now. A gene mutation, DNA mutation or just mutation refer all to the same thing.

Thanks:smile: i was just a bit confused as, i attached a photo which im not sure is showing on the app (ill attach in here, hopefully itll show), because my textbook has 2 different definitions.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sportyegg
Thanks:smile: i was just a bit confused as, i attached a photo which im not sure is showing on the app (ill attach in here, hopefully itll show), because my textbook has 2 different definitions.

Attachment not found

Ooh im sorry. Based on this i would say they are different so forget what i said.
By mutation they mean like the animal has an extra arm or something.

Gene mutation refers to the specifics: if a base inside the code has been deleted, replaced etc.
Its what it says: if the DNA changed it's called a mutation. If one or more bases change its a gene mutation.

Quick Reply

Latest