The Student Room Group

Very long dreams?

I have herd about some people haveing dreams that seemed to last a long time such as weeks or even years have any of you guys ever had a "long dream" (longer than a day or two) and whats it like waking up from one that is so long ?
I don't know. I've had dreams that have seemed 'short' before, but never 'long' dreams...
Reply 2
I woke up crying one time because I lived an entire life in a dream and I died a tragic death. It feels like you're a different person, like everything you lived was real and you've been reborn a different person in a different time and place and that real life is the real dream.

They've come true twice; I imagined attending my grandad's deathbed a year before he died in the hospital he died (I didn't know it at the time). The other one was my uncle who I imagined dying in the early morning for no reason besides me needing it, that dream reocurred until he died exactly as I saw. I'm not one for the paranormal but those are some cool coincidences at least.
Reply 3
It's kinda weird because you invest in the dream and when you wake up its just kinda 'oh that happened' and you will start to forget about it like most dreams.
its messed when you get hit hard w emotions in dreams and then you wake up and all those feelings are still there
Reply 5
anyone ever had those dreams when your falling, and you wake up ******** yourself before you hit the bottom!
Original post by JoeyyS
anyone ever had those dreams when your falling, and you wake up ******** yourself before you hit the bottom!

I get the exact same feeling as when you trip on a paving slab, and I wake up as soon as I begin to trip.

I hate that SO ****ing much.

Never actually falling for any notable amount of distance.
I once had a short dream about having had a long dream, does that count?
Original post by Axiomasher
I once had a short dream about having had a long dream, does that count?

so you had a long dream inside a dream? wouldn't the long dream in your short dream technically make it a long dream?
Original post by jonathanemptage
so you had a long dream inside a dream? wouldn't the long dream in your short dream technically make it a long dream?

That's the interesting thing about dreams, they aren't subject to the same kind of temporality as waking experience (though that also has a subjectivity to it). I could in theory be asleep for twenty minutes and wake up feeling like I went through years of stuff in a dream. My problem is that I routinely can't keep hold of a dream at the point I wake up, as each second passes the nature/content of the dream feels like it's fizzling out. I think this relates to the way our brain avoids 'fixing' dreams as memories so as, presumably, to prevent us getting mixed up between what we've done in our real lives and what we've done in our dreams. I do have recurring dreams, or at least where the theme is recurring, for me this is being in an underground maze or tunnels.
Original post by JoeyyS

Yeah I do too. It's apparently called a hypnic jerk.
Reply 11
Original post by jonathanemptage
I have herd about some people haveing dreams that seemed to last a long time such as weeks or even years have any of you guys ever had a "long dream" (longer than a day or two) and whats it like waking up from one that is so long ?

I've been having the same dream since I was 16 (I'm 23). Every night the story continues. Sometimes I daydream about it too. It can become quite intrusive in my normal life.

Quick Reply

Latest