The Student Room Group

Power and Conflict, which ones to compare together?

Hi,
Just wondering, which poems compare well with each other for the English Literature 'Power and Conflict' cluster? I've seen Mr Bruff's video, but I feel like some of them just DO NOT work well together.

What are y'all comparing with each other?

This format would be appreciated
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess

Thanks!
It's all well and good to try to match up the poems beforehand, but honestly it depends on the question that's asked.

Say, for example, somebody wants to compare "Remains" and "Bayonet Charge" together because they both have the conflict of war as their central theme, but the question asks them to compare "the effects of war on people" with "Remains and one other poem", it'll be much harder to compare the two. Equally if you're asked to compare the power of nature, etc. That's why personally I don't think it's the best idea to try to match up each poem to another specific one.

Though there are some poems that link very well to each other, and some poems that generally link nicely with most of the other poems in the cluster (like Exposure, which focuses nicely on both the power of nature and human conflict), which poems to compare completely depends on what comes up in exam day.
dpends on the theme...what do you have in mind?
compare.jpg
pic5000.jpg here u go.
Original post by Bookaddict02
dpends on the theme...what do you have in mind?

Just conflict or nature (The power of these)
Original post by lydiarutharnold
compare.jpg

Oh my god, thank you!!
Original post by Bookaddict02
pic5000.jpg here u go.

Lol, I have this - I was wanting a more direct kinda thing y'know - but thanks anyway - imma have a look at it.
Original post by AngelicFailure
Hi,
Just wondering, which poems compare well with each other for the English Literature 'Power and Conflict' cluster? I've seen Mr Bruff's video, but I feel like some of them just DO NOT work well together.

What are y'all comparing with each other?

This format would be appreciated
Ozymandias x My Last Duchess

Thanks!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73572740&postcount=3 :smile:
Original post by EnglishMuffin_
It's all well and good to try to match up the poems beforehand, but honestly it depends on the question that's asked.

Say, for example, somebody wants to compare "Remains" and "Bayonet Charge" together because they both have the conflict of war as their central theme, but the question asks them to compare "the effects of war on people" with "Remains and one other poem", it'll be much harder to compare the two. Equally if you're asked to compare the power of nature, etc. That's why personally I don't think it's the best idea to try to match up each poem to another specific one.

Though there are some poems that link very well to each other, and some poems that generally link nicely with most of the other poems in the cluster (like Exposure, which focuses nicely on both the power of nature and human conflict), which poems to compare completely depends on what comes up in exam day.

True, agreed
Original post by lydiarutharnold
lifesaver

Original post by AngelicFailure
You freaking LIFESAVER!!! :smile:

Glad it looks useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending