The Student Room Group

Anyone done A-Level English Lit?

Can you read my essay and roughly tell me what I should do to improve my grade. My grade for this topic has been a D/C. If you want to read the essay PM me, it is a practise essay, not to be submitted.
Reply 1
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Can you read my essay and roughly tell me what I should do to improve my grade. My grade for this topic has been a D/C. If you want to read the essay PM me, it is a practise essay, not to be submitted.

Hi there,
I'm currently doing A level English Lit Edexcel
studying Frankenstein/Handmaids Tale
Hamlet/ a streetcar named desire
Original post by HKP24
Hi there,
I'm currently doing A level English Lit Edexcel
studying Frankenstein/Handmaids Tale
Hamlet/ a streetcar named desire

I’m the same, but tame of the shrewd and Dr.Faustus AS.
Reply 3
I’m the same, but tame of the shrewd and Dr.Faustus AS.

ahh right okayy
What is your essay on?
Original post by HKP24
ahh right okayy
What is your essay on?

Dr. Faustus. I have been using York notes to improve my essay, so I just wanted someone to read it and put a grade on it.
Reply 5
Dr. Faustus. I have been using York notes to improve my essay, so I just wanted someone to read it and put a grade on it.

Ahh right, I get you, I don't study that text so I'm not quite sure
However I do study Handmaid's Tale and Frankenstein for the Prose examination, feel free to PM me your essays on that if you need help or marking.
Sorry couldn't help much.
Original post by HKP24
Ahh right, I get you, I don't study that text so I'm not quite sure
However I do study Handmaid's Tale and Frankenstein for the Prose examination, feel free to PM me your essays on that if you need help or marking.
Sorry couldn't help much.

Okay, thank you. Is it similar to just be given a question and prove your argument?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Okay, thank you. Is it similar to just be given a question and prove your argument?

What aspect of english literature are you talking about?
Original post by HKP24
What aspect of english literature are you talking about?

Handmaids and Frankenstein, are you just given a question. Then you answer it.
Reply 9

Correct. We are given one question and that we have to compare both texts, making links throughout. We don't get a choice between two questions.

lol ikr
why his leg be like that doe
Original post by HKP24
Correct. We are given one question and that we have to compare both texts, making links throughout. We don't get a choice between two questions.

So for handmaids and Frankenstein.
Reply 12
So for handmaids and Frankenstein.

Yes for Frankenstein and Handmaids
Original post by HKP24
Yes for Frankenstein and Handmaids

Okay, thanks and are you doing coursework? How is that?
Reply 14
Okay, thanks and are you doing coursework? How is that?

We haven't started coursework yet but we will do in some time.
Original post by HKP24
We haven't started coursework yet but we will do in some time.

It will probably be the death of me.
Reply 16
It will probably be the death of me.

Naa, I'm sure you'll be fine
Just follow the instructions given by the exam board and think it through with creativeness and that'w what'll get you the marks
Original post by HKP24
Naa, I'm sure you'll be fine
Just follow the instructions given by the exam board and think it through with creativeness and that'w what'll get you the marks

I don’t know. My other teacher is great, but she favourites the A star students and it pretty much sucks for me. Because its like she cares about them a bit more than the rest. And it’s sad for me, because I get favourited in my other subject but I don’t care, if my teachers favourite me. But with English it’s a subject I struggle with. Not the other subject the teachers favourite me in.
Reply 18
I don’t know. My other teacher is great, but she favourites the A star students and it pretty much sucks for me. Because its like she cares about them a bit more than the rest. And it’s sad for me, because I get favourited in my other subject but I don’t care, if my teachers favourite me. But with English it’s a subject I struggle with. Not the other subject the teachers favourite me in.

Yeah, that can be a problem with teachers sometimes. However what I would suggest is that you go and speak to your teacher about it, clarifying your weaknesses so your teacher can focus on helping you with that.
With the thing with A level Literature is that there's a lot of reading required, both inside and outside of school so if you read online articles about novels you are studying, it's quite beneficial as it will help structure your essay arguement better. Also, make sure you know your texts inside out, each chapter thoroughly with relevant quotations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending