The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Marketing Degree help!

Hi,

I am a third year student studying Law at the University of Portsmouth and I will finish university with at least a 2:2, hoping for a 2:1 but it is down to my exams.

I am looking to get into marketing, as I have a fond interest in online marketing, for example SEO, web design, branding, social media marketing etc.

I have been looking at postgraduate degrees in marketing that I am eligible for without prior experience, however, I am not sure what exactly i'm looking for.

I have seen both of these courses that interest me, as they are both eligible for 2:2 applicants from courses outside business or marketing:

MSc Marketing Management (Aston University) - I am interested in this course as Aston are highly ranked, however, this course is not CIM certified, is this a major problem, should I ideally be looking for CIM accreditation?

MSc Marketing (University of Leicester) - this is interesting as it is also highly ranked for marketing, however, I believe the university has only recently started offering Marketing courses, but I may be wrong.

Can anybody give me any help or guidance into which course/ university may be the best for me?

If it helps I have aspirations of working for a marketing team within a company or to have a job in a marketing agency after finishing this course. The university needs to be close to Yorkshire, within a cheap train ride, as I have family and friends who I have been away from for too long during my undergraduate degree.

I have aspirations of starting my own marketing company / freelance work on the side after a few years of learning the industry.

Any help is appreciated, I am looking ideally for the course that will make me the most employable.
Original post by BlakePidcock
Hi,

I am a third year student studying Law at the University of Portsmouth and I will finish university with at least a 2:2, hoping for a 2:1 but it is down to my exams.

I am looking to get into marketing, as I have a fond interest in online marketing, for example SEO, web design, branding, social media marketing etc.

I have been looking at postgraduate degrees in marketing that I am eligible for without prior experience, however, I am not sure what exactly i'm looking for.

I have seen both of these courses that interest me, as they are both eligible for 2:2 applicants from courses outside business or marketing:

MSc Marketing Management (Aston University) - I am interested in this course as Aston are highly ranked, however, this course is not CIM certified, is this a major problem, should I ideally be looking for CIM accreditation?

MSc Marketing (University of Leicester) - this is interesting as it is also highly ranked for marketing, however, I believe the university has only recently started offering Marketing courses, but I may be wrong.

Can anybody give me any help or guidance into which course/ university may be the best for me?

If it helps I have aspirations of working for a marketing team within a company or to have a job in a marketing agency after finishing this course. The university needs to be close to Yorkshire, within a cheap train ride, as I have family and friends who I have been away from for too long during my undergraduate degree.

I have aspirations of starting my own marketing company / freelance work on the side after a few years of learning the industry.

Any help is appreciated, I am looking ideally for the course that will make me the most employable.

It's great that you have a plan for later. Look at job descriptions and work out whether accreditation is required in this field as in some it isn't and means nothing. I would also suggest maybe taking some time out to get some work experience and then coming back to getting a degree as it will strengthen your application and you may work out that you don't need to spend the time effort and money required to get a degree after all.
Oh the irony:

If a marketing course cannot market itself in a differentiated, added-value, appealing way, then it's not a good start is it?

What's your rationale to getting a degree as opposed to learning on the job by working?

So, looking at them critically - they will accept just about anyone, with little to no formal understanding of the subject. They're not going to turn you into experts in 1 year. Would that year be better spent working/interning/going self-employed if you've got particular skills? What's the opportunity cost for a 1-year MSc?

Personally I don't think either.

The university needs to be close to Yorkshire, within a cheap train ride, as I have family and friends who I have been away from for too long during my undergraduate degree.

I think you're severely limiting your options by choosing a specific location, but YMMV.

Well, that would be work experience.

All IMO, of course. Good luck in your exams and with whatever you end up doing next.
Original post by Duncan2012
What's your rationale to getting a degree as opposed to learning on the job by working?

So, looking at them critically - they will accept just about anyone, with little to no formal understanding of the subject. They're not going to turn you into experts in 1 year. Would that year be better spent working/interning/going self-employed if you've got particular skills? What's the opportunity cost for a 1-year MSc?

Personally I don't think either.

I think you're severely limiting your options by choosing a specific location, but YMMV.

Well, that would be work experience.

All IMO, of course. Good luck in your exams and with whatever you end up doing next.

The rationale behind it really is that, if I get a postgraduate degree, and build up experience through internships/experience in the mean time, I would be able to land a decent role in a company like Unilever on one of their graduate programmes. Rather than going through internships while working a 9-5 job and then going into a small company and taking a few years to work myself up.

In all honesty, i'm just looking for all my options, and going away and doing internships is one option and another is going and getting the postgraduate degree, but either way i'm trying to inform myself around both options, as I want to have a plan in place for either route, and I believe the best way to see which route I prefer is to have a plan in place for both. If I have the university confirmed, if I can see what kind of scholarships and funding are available to me from that university, I can compare the pros and cons compared to going away and getting work experience in the field. That's the basis of why I was asking around for which universities are better.

I get where you're coming from though. I wish in all honesty, i'd have realised that I wanted to go into marketing during my A-Levels, instead of having completed a Law degree and spending £40,000+ on an education that isn't really going to benefit me now as I've decided this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. However, I am where I am, and i'm just considering my options at this juncture in my life :smile: thank you for your reply!
The rationale behind it really is that, if I get a postgraduate degree, and build up experience through internships/experience in the mean time, I would be able to land a decent role in a company like Unilever on one of their graduate programmes. Rather than going through internships while working a 9-5 job and then going into a small company and taking a few years to work myself up.

In all honesty, i'm just looking for all my options, and going away and doing internships is one option and another is going and getting the postgraduate degree, but either way i'm trying to inform myself around both options, as I want to have a plan in place for either route, and I believe the best way to see which route I prefer is to have a plan in place for both. If I have the university confirmed, if I can see what kind of scholarships and funding are available to me from that university, I can compare the pros and cons compared to going away and getting work experience in the field. That's the basis of why I was asking around for which universities are better.

I get where you're coming from though. I wish in all honesty, i'd have realised that I wanted to go into marketing during my A-Levels, instead of having completed a Law degree and spending £40,000+ on an education that isn't really going to benefit me now as I've decided this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. However, I am where I am, and i'm just considering my options at this juncture in my life :smile: thank you for your reply!

If I do get a 2:1, i'll more than likely look at applying for the graduate schemes in marketing that accept 2:1 from any degree discipline and it really will make my life a hell of a lot easier I feel. However, i'm planning for both scenarios aha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending