The Student Room Group

£1million to spend on healthcare

If you were given £1million to spend on an improvement to healthcare in your local area in your chosen field of nursing or midwifery; what would you spend it on and why have you identified this as important?

^^

Was given this question to focus on and come up with an answer at my interview. I have an answer, however I am unsure whether I have read the question properly. So just looking to see how other people would answer it.. Thank you :smile:))
I would spend it on improving mental health provision - increasing the number of beds on mental health wards, increasing access to therapy/counselling on NHS, cut down the waiting lists.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
I would spend it on improving mental health provision - increasing the number of beds on mental health wards, increasing access to therapy/counselling on NHS, cut down the waiting lists.

Thank you for your help! Have to relate the question to nursing/midwifery, so unsure if those points will be beneficial.
I originally thought of mental health until I read that I had to relate it to my chosen degree😁 That's when it got complicated for me lol!
Original post by Courtselle
Thank you for your help! Have to relate the question to nursing/midwifery, so unsure if those points will be beneficial.
I originally thought of mental health until I read that I had to relate it to my chosen degree😁 That's when it got complicated for me lol!

Bear in mind though, £1million in the grand scheme of things, is a tiny amount. Even on a local level it wouldn't go all that far.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
Bear in mind though, £1million in the grand scheme of things, is a tiny amount. Even on a local level it wouldn't go all that far.

Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking, so it's really hard to be realistic! Unsure whether they're looking for me to be realistic considering the small amount, or they're just throwing any figure at me and want to know what I'd do if I had the money to do so.. Lol confusing😁
Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking, so it's really hard to be realistic! Unsure whether they're looking for me to be realistic considering the small amount, or they're just throwing any figure at me and want to know what I'd do if I had the money to do so.. Lol confusing😁

I would use some money to improve services for the elderly. Too many times we hear of staff being unable to feed or change elderly people due to lack of time as they have to rush off somewhere else to an emergency etc so I would put a lot more staff on these wards to improve their time in hospital.

I would also use some money to improve the neonatal intensive care unit, maybe more incubators as babies often have to be moved from one hospital to another because they do not have such a proper neonatal intensive care unit?

Hope this helps, that is a tricky question though!

I also have an interview for Nursing at Dundee. Good luck with yours :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Original post by sameehaiqbal
I would use some money to improve services for the elderly. Too many times we hear of staff being unable to feed or change elderly people due to lack of time so I would put a lot more staff on these wards to improve their time in hospital.

I would also use some money to improve the neonatal intensive care unit, maybe more incubators as babies often have to be moved from one hospital to another because they do not have such a proper neonatal intensive care unit?

Hope this helps, that is a tricky question though!

Slightly more controversial but there is a lot of stress and burn out in the NHS. How about money for counselling services/relaxation therapies for staff... Happy staff are more productive, less likely to be off sick, more likely to do extra shifts to help out. Retainment is a big problem, make it more attractive for staff to stay
Slightly more controversial but there is a lot of stress and burn out in the NHS. How about money for counselling services/relaxation therapies for staff... Happy staff are more productive, less likely to be off sick, more likely to do extra shifts to help out. Retainment is a big problem, make it more attractive for staff to stay

I agree, that's a good one as well :biggrin:

I am finding it hard to relate the above question to child nursing
Original post by Blackstarr
I am finding it hard to relate the above question to child nursing

Why are you trying? Is it for an interview?

I think the point is there is no ideal answer. The finance of the nhs is a minefield

support and staff training, it would help with retention and the increasingly dilute skill mix and would attract staff knowing they would be supported. A million pounds, especially at a local level could really work well for this, which in the end would have a positive effect on the delivery of care.
Why are you trying? Is it for an interview?

I think the point is there is no ideal answer. The finance of the nhs is a minefield

Yes, for an interview
Original post by moonkatt
support and staff training, it would help with retention and the increasingly dilute skill mix and would attract staff knowing they would be supported. A million pounds, especially at a local level could really work well for this, which in the end would have a positive effect on the delivery of care.

What do you think about the nursing apprenticeships? i feel more inclined to doing one as i will not be paying tuition or trainee fees. However, it will take a year longer and i don't seem to find any.

I am just thinking of what is the point of going to University?
Original post by Blackstarr
What do you think about the nursing apprenticeships? i feel more inclined to doing one as i will not be paying tuition or trainee fees. However, it will take a year longer and i don't seem to find any.

I’m as yet undecided. Provided they have to meet the same academic criteria (which as far as I’m led to believe they will be) then fair enough. It’s just secondment by a different name.

Original post by Blackstart
I am just thinking of what is the point of going to University?

We’re supposed to be an evidence based profession working as part of the multidisciplinary team delivering evidence based healthcare. Being able to find, understand and critically analyse research is a key part towards this. If we’re supposed to work alongside our colleagues from other healthcare professions, then we should have a similar level of education. I’ve never seen someone complain that physios, radiographers or midwives don’t need degrees. Also, suggesting we don’t need a degree plays down the complexity of our roles and thus has a negative effect on our argument that we deserve to be paid more.

Quick Reply

Latest