The Student Room Group

Border Force Officer / Assistant 2018

Scroll to see replies

Feel free to give a thumbs up to the people that help answer stuff 😇
Original post by Abc3534
BHX is the IATA airport code for Birmingham Airport. Maybe you should practice a few, they will come in handy in this line of work

I’m sure I will, if I get the job :smile:
Does anyone know when the start date will be? And also are there any more tests after the online verbal reasoning one. As I understand it, there’s no numerical test is there?
Original post by Sierra20180
Does anyone know when the start date will be? And also are there any more tests after the online verbal reasoning one. As I understand it, there’s no numerical test is there?

It doesn’t mention anymore tests but there is small print that says they gain add or change the tests if needed.

The start dates will depend on security clearance and this is massively different for everyone. The candidate pack says between August and December but I already work for CS and the dates can change dependant on vetting.
Original post by shell_xx_shell
It doesn’t mention anymore tests but there is small print that says they gain add or change the tests if needed.

The start dates will depend on security clearance and this is massively different for everyone. The candidate pack says between August and December but I already work for CS and the dates can change dependant on vetting.

Oh right I see, and what sort of security clearance is it? Like DBS check or something? Sorry for all these questions, it doesn’t specify!
Oh right I see, and what sort of security clearance is it? Like DBS check or something? Sorry for all these questions, it doesn’t specify!

The security clearance will be to a high level. This will include checking your family, finances and is very in-depth. This is way above and beyond just a DBS....This has to be done due to the nature of the job. My advise is answer every question honestly - disclose everything because if they find out something later you can be dismissed.
Look at national security clearance and vetting for ideas to what they ask.
Hi, I am struggling with the verbal reasoning practice tests that I have tried!! I am not feeling confident at all about sitting the online test! What resources are best for practice tests?
Original post by kaitelaine
Hi, I am struggling with the verbal reasoning practice tests that I have tried!! I am not feeling confident at all about sitting the online test! What resources are best for practice tests?

Sorry I haven’t ever done a practice tests. Honestly it’s not an awful test, try and be as honest as possible rather than look at what you think they want you to say.
Good luck
Sorry I haven’t ever done a practice tests. Honestly it’s not an awful test, try and be as honest as possible rather than look at what you think they want you to say.
Good luck

Thanks for the reply! The tests I have looked at are awful! You are required to read a complex passage, then are given statements relating to the passage and have to decide if the statement is true, false, or cannot say...and the answers are most definitely not obvious!! I am still completing my application, but thought I'd have a look at the test too! Not looking forward to the test if I pass the initial application stage!
Original post by kaitelaine
Thanks for the reply! The tests I have looked at are awful! You are required to read a complex passage, then are given statements relating to the passage and have to decide if the statement is true, false, or cannot say...and the answers are most definitely not obvious!! I am still completing my application, but thought I'd have a look at the test too! Not looking forward to the test if I pass the initial application stage!

Hey, where did you find them? Are they specific to civil Service jobs?
The security clearance will be to a high level. This will include checking your family, finances and is very in-depth. This is way above and beyond just a DBS....This has to be done due to the nature of the job. My advise is answer every question honestly - disclose everything because if they find out something later you can be dismissed.
Look at national security clearance and vetting for ideas to what they ask.

Oh ok, thank you!
Oh ok, thank you!

I can’t seem to find any info on what they ask online, tried googling it.
Hey, where did you find them? Are they specific to civil Service jobs?

No, not specific at all, they’re just verbal reasoning tests. Basically a type of psychometric test. If you google verbal reasoning sample test you should be able to trial them!
I really don’t think you need to practice these sort of tests.. is not like anything you can revise for. They want to know your honest answers. Like I said go with what your instincts say rather than what you think they want because you will be wrong!
Also remember they are interviewing you but your also working out if this job is for you...😊
Has anyone received a link to the tests yet? I applied last Thursday and still haven't heard anything yet
Original post by dan.ashley
Has anyone received a link to the tests yet? I applied last Thursday and still haven't heard anything yet

Nothing yet Dan.
I applied on 31st. They said they would be released this week in batches when I called on Friday. Good luck 😉
Update - I called the helpline, the tests have been worked on today and will be released over the next couple of days and “definitely by Friday... fingers crossed 🤞🏽
Update - I called the helpline, the tests have been worked on today and will be released over the next couple of days and “definitely by Friday... fingers crossed 🤞🏽

Thanks for the info :smile: also, I can’t seem to find anything online about the security clearance and what sort of checks they do. Just curious!
As I mentioned if your google national security clearance you can find it about vetting.....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/438973/Vetting_Clearance_Guidance.pdf

This is just an outline but not exact - it’s the most vigourous check will you ever have and some!
As I mentioned if your google national security clearance you can find it about vetting.....

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/438973/Vetting_Clearance_Guidance.pdf

This is just an outline but not exact - it’s the most vigourous check will you ever have and some!

Thank you, that’s helpful. As part of this job role will there be an interview with a vetting officer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending