The Student Room Group

Geography revision

How difficult is the exam overall? any suggestions to revise? My examboard is Edexcel
Original post by annajpg
How difficult is the exam overall? any suggestions to revise? My examboard is Edexcel

The exam is ****en hard. I do AQA so idk if Edexcel is easier or harder but I got 52% overall in the exam which is a 6 and was the highest in the class which just tells you how hard it is.
Reply 2
Original post by Aynamouss
The exam is ****en hard. I do AQA so idk if Edexcel is easier or harder but I got 52% overall in the exam which is a 6 and was the highest in the class which just tells you how hard it is.

FML IM A PRIVATE CANDIDATE STUDYING ON MY OWN AND *****INGG MYSELF ATM
Really I just need a 4 which is like a C for my uni but fuuuuu do you have any past papers or like model answers that could help me?
Original post by annajpg
FML IM A PRIVATE CANDIDATE STUDYING ON MY OWN AND *****INGG MYSELF ATM
Really I just need a 4 which is like a C for my uni but fuuuuu do you have any past papers or like model answers that could help me?

Well if u go on the Edexcel website am sure u can find specimen papers for Geography. How I revise is simple. Use the revision guide as revision because it has everything that u need to know. When u read each page or a topic make cue cards or flash cards on that topic and make sure you recite that cue card so you can rember it. Also try and LEARN the CASE STUFIES these are so IMPORTANT if you want to do well I mean memories some FACTS on each CASE STUDY. They WILL come up in the exam as 9mark questions and when I looked at the paper 51% of the marks were 9 and 6 markers which mostly test u on you CASE STUDIES so LEARN and MEMORISE. (that's the secrete to getting 60% - 80% on each paper!!!!)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Well if u go on the Edexcel website am sure u can find specimen papers for Geography. How I revise is simple. Use the revision guide as revision because it has everything that u need to know. When u read each page or a topic make cue cards or flash cards on that topic and make sure you recite that cue card so you can rember it. Also try and LEARN the CASE STUFIES these are so IMPORTANT if you want to do well I mean memories some FACTS on each CASE STUDY. They WILL come up in the exam as 9mark questions and when I looked at the paper 51% of the marks were 9 and 6 markers which mostly test u on you CASE STUDIES so LEARN and MEMORISE. (that's the secrete to getting 60% - 80% on each paper!!!!)

okay yes that was my plan, so far I have made notes on every subject in the revision guide, now i need to make flash cards. Also, how important are the geographical and mathematical skills, cause im a bit confused on those D:
which edexcel specification, A or B? and which revision guide do you use?
Reply 6
For Geography revision, I try and do loads of flashcards and past exam questions, because they help me remember best. And I've also been doing questions under timed pressure, because I find that aspect hard, and then marking them using the markscheme.
I've also begun using Seneca (https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/5a073d30-21f8-11e8-8c19-619061cc7240/section/c499af00-2c1d-11e8-898d-73048bf08c03) which has helped me quite a lot, and I sometimes use quizlet (https://quizlet.com/en-gb) to find relevant quizzes!
Reply 7
Original post by sxhxl
which edexcel specification, A or B? and which revision guide do you use?

is specification A and im using the pearson revision guides
Reply 8
Original post by MimiElf
For Geography revision, I try and do loads of flashcards and past exam questions, because they help me remember best. And I've also been doing questions under timed pressure, because I find that aspect hard, and then marking them using the markscheme.
I've also begun using Seneca (https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/5a073d30-21f8-11e8-8c19-619061cc7240/section/c499af00-2c1d-11e8-898d-73048bf08c03) which has helped me quite a lot, and I sometimes use quizlet (https://quizlet.com/en-gb) to find relevant quizzes!

Yes, thanks for the link even if it's for AQA it can still be relevant for edexcel i think. ohh im just soo nervouse guys :frown: I have so much stuff to revise that sometimes im just lost and dont knoe where to start from
Original post by annajpg
okay yes that was my plan, so far I have made notes on every subject in the revision guide, now i need to make flash cards. Also, how important are the geographical and mathematical skills, cause im a bit confused on those D:

If you've made notes which is essentially like making cue cards then u don't NEED to make flash cards but if can't rember things well enough by reading notes then yes do MAKE flashcards. geographical skills are a bit important but in the exam they are only worth 1 or 2 marks so dw too much bout that (plus it quite easy anyways) The maths skills aren't important at all it's just basic maths like finding the mean median mode rang( if u can do that then your fine) n they too aren't worth many marks so dw. But MAKE sure u focus on learning the content and understanding it and MENORISING facts of case studies they r far more important.
Reply 10
If you've made notes which is essentially like making cue cards then u don't NEED to make flash cards but if can't rember things well enough by reading notes then yes do MAKE flashcards. geographical skills are a bit important but in the exam they are only worth 1 or 2 marks so dw too much bout that (plus it quite easy anyways) The maths skills aren't important at all it's just basic maths like finding the mean median mode rang( if u can do that then your fine) n they too aren't worth many marks so dw. But MAKE sure u focus on learning the content and understanding it and MENORISING facts of case studies they r far more important.

okay thank you very much :s-smilie: im so worried tbh cause im studying on my own and i feel like i need model answers or stuff like that more to understand how to answer the question, hope this makes sense?
Original post by annajpg
okay thank you very much :s-smilie: im so worried tbh cause im studying on my own and i feel like i need model answers or stuff like that more to understand how to answer the question, hope this makes sense?

dw mate my teacher is so crap I pretty much teach myself geography at home too aha. About answering questions, a 9mark question (which is always bout a case study u hv learnt) if it an impact or challenge or effect question then u need to talk bout the Social impact or challenge or opportunity (which one u get asked bout) and u also need to talk bout the Economic and Environmental impact or challenge or effect. Make sure u use facts and figures in your answers. You then need to make a conclusion at the end of your answer. a 9mark is a level mark question so u hv to talk bout all those things I mention if u want to get in the top band of 7-9 marks.6,4,3,2,1 markers are relatively straight forward. If it a question worth 2 marks u usually hv to make 2 points if's with 3 marks then u make 3 points. If it's with 4 then u make 2 points but go into more detail and explain it more. If it's 6marks then make 2-3 points and explain it in detail. Hope this helps:smile:)))
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
not too bad, I was gonna drop it originally but I stuck with it because its fairly easy compared with other subjects
Reply 13
dw mate my teacher is so crap I pretty much teach myself geography at home too aha. About answering questions, a 9mark question (which is always bout a case study u hv learnt) if it an impact or challenge or effect question then u need to talk bout the Social impact or challenge or opportunity (which one u get asked bout) and u also need to talk bout the Economic and Environmental impact or challenge or effect. Make sure u use facts and figures in your answers. You then need to make a conclusion at the end of your answer. a 9mark is a level mark question so u hv to talk bout all those things I mention if u want to get in the top band of 7-9 marks.6,4,3,2,1 markers are relatively straight forward. If it a question worth 2 marks u usually hv to make 2 points if's with 3 marks then u make 3 points. If it's with 4 then u make 2 points but go into more detail and explain it more. If it's 6marks then make 2-3 points and explain it in detail. Hope this helps:smile:)))

THANKS DEAR! are you currently using just the revision guide or online sources as well?
Original post by annajpg
THANKS DEAR! are you currently using just the revision guide or online sources as well?

Both. after i read bout a topic on the revision guide I go on Utube n watch a video onit (just to make sure I 100℅ understand it:smile: Btw wht are the main topics u are doing?? for example am doing natural hazards, climate change, rainforest, hot desert, coast and rivers for physical and Urbanization, human resources management and economic development for human geography
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by annajpg
is specification A and im using the pearson revision guides

im doing geography a edexcel!!! hate hate hate it’s so hard

Quick Reply

Latest