The Student Room Group

Language analysis

Just wondering, and tips on how to get the high marks on language analysis for the English language papers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Use quotes with metaphors, zoom in on word classes, original & creative analysis, writers effect on reader (what examiners are looking for) and for top top marks small quotes (one word or so) throughout :smile:
Reply 2
I meant quotes with techniques, not just metaphors :smile:)
Reply 3
Thanks man, but any ideas how I could explain why the writer has used a specific language technique I'm really struggling at the moment. E.g why has the writer use 'painful loveliness' or 'cast a charmed theatrical light' to show relationship between narrator and mother?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Write a quote on the page, take another colour and analyse it as much as you can, once you’re into it you’ll think of lots of things. Then put that analysing into a paragraph, if you struggle then think to yourself how you would say it out loud, then write it down !!
Reply 5
Original post by JS101
Write a quote on the page, take another colour and analyse it as much as you can, once you’re into it you’ll think of lots of things. Then put that analysing into a paragraph, if you struggle then think to yourself how you would say it out loud, then write it down !!

Thanks for the help man, hopefully I start to improve. And don't even get me started on structure
Reply 6
For ‘painful loveliness’ state how it’s an oxymoron which emphasises the stark contrast (now link it to the context of what it’s actually about)
Reply 7
So it’s saying that the narrator and mother are fond of each other yet it hurts them - they’re suffering
Reply 8
For structure write 3 paragraphs. When reading the extract in the margin write a quick summary (just a short sentence) on what that paragraph is about. Focus on the beginning, middle and end. You have to describe how the write SHIFTS FOCUS. You can explain this by using techniques such as the writer: zooms in / panoramic description / change focus / shift / motif / ending / introduction / dialogue / character
Reply 9
Original post by JS101
So it’s saying that the narrator and mother are fond of each other yet it hurts them - they’re suffering

Well, the mother has died and he's reminiscing of taking her out for a meal. So I guess it shows how much he loves her, but finds it too painful and it mentally hurts him to remember her
Reply 10
Yeah write that
Original post by JS101
For structure write 3 paragraphs. When reading the extract in the margin write a quick summary (just a short sentence) on what that paragraph is about. Focus on the beginning, middle and end. You have to describe how the write SHIFTS FOCUS. You can explain this by using techniques such as the writer: zooms in / panoramic description / change focus / shift / motif / ending / introduction / dialogue / character

Thank you man. That's what I struggle at the most, especially as it wants you to explain how it interests the reader.
Reply 12
It interests the reader by shifting focus, you just have to explain how it shifts focus using the above techniques :smile:
Original post by JS101
It interests the reader by shifting focus, you just have to explain how it shifts focus using the above techniques :smile:

Any examples? Say a shift of focus from one setting to another or one character to another?
Reply 14
Say at the beginning of an extract the scene is in a house showing the daily lives of a family - this would be the writer ‘zooming in’ on a family’s life. Then in the middle it’s about the town as a whole, the writer shifted focus by giving the reader a ‘panoramic view’. Then at the end of the play the introduction of a new character, say the queen, which makes an impact on the reader as they’d like to know why the queen is there
Original post by JS101
Say at the beginning of an extract the scene is in a house showing the daily lives of a family - this would be the writer ‘zooming in’ on a family’s life. Then in the middle it’s about the town as a whole, the writer shifted focus by giving the reader a ‘panoramic view’. Then at the end of the play the introduction of a new character, say the queen, which makes an impact on the reader as they’d like to know why the queen is there

Ohhh I see. The family allows the reader to relate instantly as they will have a family of their own. What is the effect of shifting from family to town? Is it to create setting ?
Reply 16
No, it’s the fact that the writer SHIFTS FOCUS which keeps the writer engaged
Original post by JS101
No, it’s the fact that the writer SHIFTS FOCUS which keeps the writer engaged

How does it keep the writer engaged?
Reply 18
Because think about it, if you watched a movie and all scenes were played in the same room, with the same characters you would get pretty bored. You need change to grassy your attention
Oh I get thanks. Any idea how to explain it in an exam?

Quick Reply

Latest