The Student Room Group

gcse edexcel maths

is anyone else struggling with edexcel GCSE maths????
Well, I'm not. I'm finding it fairly easy.
Advice from a uni student
The only way you are going to get a grips with maths is

Do the textbook questions as a starter
Then do questions by topic on physics maths tutor
Have markscheme along side to guide you
You really need to put the hours in more maths
And then you can legit do maths questions in your head.
Practice defo makes perfect

Past papers past papers past papers

If ya like listening to someone teach you then exam solutions goes through past papers too... doesnt matter if you are doing old or new spec.. edexcel maths will never change DRASTICALLY
If you're aiming for the top grades (8/9) then I would recommend focusing most of your revision on topics you don't understand and the most difficult questions (the ones near the end of the paper) since these usually consist of the most marks and will take up the most time. There are a reasonable amount of past papers you can complete to help your revision (and the topics you get wrong in the exam, look back on them to refresh your memory) and there are also grade 9 targeted questions online that you can try out. CGP have also made a workbook consisting of grade 8-9 questions concentrating on the toughest topics. At the end of the day, the more practice you get, the more likely you are to succeed in the real exam.

Good luck! :banana:
Reply 5
Original post by crazyyear11
is anyone else struggling with edexcel GCSE maths????

Here are some helpful websites and stuff:
The CGP revision guide and workbook.
Mathswatch / Pixl Maths (if your school has a subscription)
www.mathsgenie.co.uk - questions of all levels with mark schemes
www.crashmaths.com
Your exam board's sample materials
www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk
www.m4ths.com
www.mrbartonmaths.com
Hegarty Maths
www.drfrostmaths.com (with lessons and power points)
TES Resources
www.getrevising.co.uk
bland.in
justmaths.co.uk
BBC Bitesize
www.desmos.com is good for practicing plotting graphs and equations
www.onmaths.com

Good luck on your exam :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
thanks for all the help i really appreciate it :excited:
Reply 7
-Yeah if you're aiming for 8/9 get the CGP workbook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Targeted-Practice-Workbook-Revision/dp/178294415X I'm just working through it and doing a couple pages a day and it really helps.
-Also I found if I don't know how to do a question then think of it logically e.g. if they give a graph work out the turning point (I did this and got all the marks despite having no idea what the question meant)
-Remember WORKING MARKS write everything you know about the question there was a question where I had no idea what to do but just writing what sin(30) was equal to got you a mark

Quick Reply

Latest