The Student Room Group

Bmw 1 series vs Lexus IS 250

Which car do you think is the better buy? The Bmw has a 1.6 and 2.0 version, the Lexus is 2.5.

Id be looking at 2006 - 2008 cars with around 70k on the clock. For the record I'd get it in automatic as I dont like manual.

I go on the m25 at least once a week for 40 mins with the ocassional long distance drive of over 100 miles, most of my other driving is to my local gym or tesco. I dont drive everyday as I work freelance amd sometimes work from home.

The Lexus looks slightly nicer to me but the bmw is lovely too and more fuel economy whether I get the 1.6 or 2.0.

At the moment I drive a Lexus IS 200 2.0 litre car. The is 250 supeisingly has better fuel economy than my current car according to reviews.
(edited 6 years ago)
I would say go with the Lexus because it’s:
-more luxurious than the BMW
-better looking
- cheaper to maintain + likely more reliable

BMW
- it’s a ‘German whip init’ holds a more prestigious badge
- might handle better than the Lexus & more sporty
- more compact, easier to park

Personally the older model 1 Series just looks really outdated and all the failed drug dealers seem to drive them. If you were looking at a newer shape then my opinion might be different but in this case the Lexus takes the trophy.
Reply 2
I do like the lexus a lot, just considering the bmw because the possibility of a more economic engine. do you think the difference in fuel economy between a 1.6 and 2.0 or 2.5 is that noticable?
Original post by Jedders
I do like the lexus a lot, just considering the bmw because the possibility of a more economic engine. do you think the difference in fuel economy between a 1.6 and 2.0 or 2.5 is that noticable?

They both have around the same average MPG (25-30) so there probably won’t be that much of a difference tbh. Normally, there would be a significant difference between a 1.6 and a 2.5 but the BMW weights quite a lot and the 116 engine will have to work harder/use more fuel to actually get the car going.

If the 2.0 is the 1 Series then it would be noticeably better as that engine is a lot more suited to the car
Reply 4
Used to drive a 2L 1 series, got rid of it. Cramped, weak, unreliable, and as for the diesels, generally a clattery badge-w*nker car. Try both. Personally I'd go with the Lexus. (Actually looking for one right now as a daily in addition to my weekend toy)
Original post by Jedders
Which car do you think is the better buy? The Bmw has a 1.6 and 2.0 version, the Lexus is 2.5.

Id be looking at 2006 - 2008 cars with around 70k on the clock. For the record I'd get it in automatic as I dont like manual.

I go on the m25 at least once a week for 40 mins with the ocassional long distance drive of over 100 miles, most of my other driving is to my local gym or tesco. I dont drive everyday as I work freelance amd sometimes work from home.

The Lexus looks slightly nicer to me but the bmw is lovely too and more fuel economy whether I get the 1.6 or 2.0.

At the moment I drive a Lexus IS 200 2.0 litre car. The is 250 supeisingly has better fuel economy than my current car according to reviews.

In terms of the 1 series, are you looking Diesel or Petrol?
The e8x chassis petrol 1 series (except the 135i) are N/A, but the diesels are turbo. The N/A motors are high revving but painfully slow. If it's a diesel you're looking at (and if you're doing long motorway miles, I'd suggest it wouldn't be silly to) then I'd say the 1 series is pretty practical.
Don't get a 1st generation 1 series diseasel. They all have timing chain problems which are unavoidable. The lexus will go on forever like most lexus products
The Lexus ticks far more boxes, looks better, and frankly doesn't purport to be anything that it isn't. The 1 series, especially the older ones basically just say "I just wanna say I own a BMW, don't care which"
Original post by nevershear
The Lexus ticks far more boxes, looks better, and frankly doesn't purport to be anything that it isn't. The 1 series, especially the older ones basically just say "I just wanna say I own a BMW, don't care which"

+1 unless it's a 125i or 130i
To be frank, most people could probably save more on fuel economy if they just drove more sensibly, than by buying a lower consumption car.

Smooth driving, instead of break, then gas, then break, break + gas & drift round a corner, overtaking for amusement.
Reply 10
Original post by ShivP_98
+1 unless it's a 125i or 130i

Why 130i? Not only are these old but there aren't many of these. Just seems a rather random preference. The 1M coupe, M135i and current gen M140i are more notable and are known to represent a true BMW driving experience far better. Although I suppose 125d is passable for 1 series and 320d passable for a 3 series to not be seen as buying it for the badge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NX172
Why 130i? Not only are these old but there aren't many of these. Just seems a rather random preference. The 1M coupe, M135i and current gen M140i are more notable and are known to represent a true BMW driving experience far better. Although I suppose 125d is passable for 1 series and 320d passable for a 3 series to not be seen as buying it for the badge.

Talking about E87/E88 1 series generation but yes of course M135 etc are applicable as the 1 series to buy as well

Quick Reply

Latest