The Student Room Group

How do I improve my maths grade drastically?

Ive been getting 4i n my mocks for maths but I need a 6 to do my A level.

What can I do to improve this as I don't have any more mocks but the actual thing. Please if you tell me to do past papers could you also futher explain how I should carry them out.
I was really bad at maths and now my grades are much better because i used these things..

1. Maths genie, this is a website with free booklets along with free tutorials on all subjects that are in the gcse maths spec. I printed loads of these off and worked through i made sure I understood what was going on. It has videos on booklets from grade 3 to 9.

2. I also use a website called maths watch the videos on there are awesome for understanding a topic that you may be uneasy on.

3. Get revising has a tonne of past papers on which i think is essential for revising maths.

4. On maths is also really good, its basically a webpage that allows you to complete past papers online. It also has predicted 2018 papers that you can have a go at ( obviously not the real gcses )

5. Corbett maths has lots of tools that can help with topics your unsure with
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mr_Robot
Ive been getting 4i n my mocks for maths but I need a 6 to do my A level.

What can I do to improve this as I don't have any more mocks but the actual thing. Please if you tell me to do past papers could you also futher explain how I should carry them out.

A-level maths or a related A-level?

Well, why are you losing marks?
Reply 3
Original post by Chelseaglover0
I was really bad at maths and now my grades are much better because i used these things..

1. Maths genie, this is a website with free booklets along with free tutorials on all subjects that are in the gcse maths spec. I printed loads of these off and worked through i made sure I understood what was going on. It has videos on booklets from grade 3 to 9.

2. I also use a website called maths watch the videos on there are awesome for understanding a topic that you may be uneasy on.

3. Get revising has a tonne of past papers on which i think is essential for revising maths.

4. On maths is also really good, its basically a webpage that allows you to complete past papers online. It also has predicted 2018 papers that you can have a go at ( obviously not the real gcses )

5. Corbett maths has lots of tools that can help with topics your unsure with

Thank you, I'll try these out
Reply 4
Practise as much as you can!
Do exercises from the textbooks and revision books on any topics you struggle with, and then when you feel like you've mastered them do a past paper. From the past paper, got back over any areas you got wrong or that you found hard. basically the more practice you get in, the easier you'll find it and the better you'll do. Good luck!
HegartyMaths
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
A-level maths or a related A-level?

Well, why are you losing marks?

A level psychology

I'm losing most of my marks at the beginning of the papers. One of my papers I don't gain a mark until I got to question 10.
Original post by Mr_Robot

I'm losing most of my marks at the beginning of the papers. One of my papers I don't gain a mark until I got to question 10.

That's interesting. For most it's the other way around. Anything in particular about the earlier questions? Normally the first questions of a higher paper are common to both higher and foundation, so if you're making progress on the later questions, you should be able to make considerable progress on the earlier questions. (they often consist of arithmetic and basic algebra)
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
That's interesting. For most it's the other way around. Anything in particular about the earlier questions? Normally the first questions of a higher paper are common to both higher and foundation, so if you're making progress on the later questions, you should be able to make considerable progress on the earlier questions. (they often consist of arithmetic and basic algebra)

I don't normally see the first couple of questions as hard. I normally do them thinking that I understand it but get my results finding out I did terrible.

Quick Reply

Latest