The Student Room Group

HMRC Higher Officer Compliance Caseworker (Belfast)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Loula32
Has anyone heard either way if they are through to interview or not?

Nope still on hold
Original post by ksq
He means that the format is flawed for the simple reason that in order to score highly, any person who studies the competency framework in good detail, he may strategically pass the SJT by merely matching the appropriate responses fitted to each scenario, as prescribed by the framework. The reason this is flawed is quite clear. The test is no longer judging a persons true situational awareness. The person who has simply passed by learning the framework may not necessarily possess the situational awareness reflected in his high scores, but the score merely reflects his correctness to matching up his responses to the framework.

The simple point is, it's quite easy to score high on these tests simply by learning the formula, which defeats the purpose of the test. I suspect there will be numerous talented individuals with exceptional competencies, who may have been unfairly filtered out of the process, and not so talented individuals who got through simply by knowing the right responses, which may not necessarily reflect their actual true self.

Spot on 👍
Original post by ksq
He means that the format is flawed for the simple reason that in order to score highly, any person who studies competency framework in good detail, he may strategically pass the SJT by merely matching the appropriate responses fitted to each scenario, as prescribed by the framework. The reason this is a flawed is quite clear. The test is no longer judging a persons true situational awareness. The person who has simply passed by learning the framework may not necessarily possess the situational awareness reflected in his high scores, but the score merely reflects his correctness to matching up his responses to the framework.

The simple point is, it's quite easy to score high on these tests simply by learning the formula, which defeats the purpose of the test. I suspect there will be numerous talented individuals with exceptional competencies, who may have been unfairly filtered out of the process, and not so talented individuals who got through simply by knowing the right responses, which may not reflect their actual self.

I think that would all be true if anyone used the competency framework just to pass the test, then completely forgot about it, and made rubbish judgements once they were employed on the job. But if it's used properly, as a framework for how you should behave in the job, then it's doing the job it's meant to. I kind of view it as an extension of CS T&Cs of employment, i.e. this is what we expect of you. It's a valuable tool for learning to align your behaviours to what's expected of you. The employer may not think a person is 'talented' if they are unable to adapt their behaviour to meet the stated requirements of the role,
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Pmakgreb
Spot on 👍

The plus here is that once you recognise and are familiar with the formula, it makes scoring high that much more simpler haha. These tests are very poorly designed, but doesn't bother me, they've just made it easier for smart people like me to exploit the process haha
Reply 84
Original post by mimsyborogrove
I think that would all be true if anyone used the competency framework just to pass the test, then completely forgot about it, and made rubbish judgements once they were employed on the job. But if it's used properly, as a framework for how you should behave in the job, then it's doing the job it's meant to. I kind of view it as an extension of CS T&Cs of employment, i.e. this is what we expect of you. It's a valuable tool for learning to align your behaviours to what's expected of you. The employer may not think a person is 'talented' if they are unable to adapt their behaviour to meet the stated requirements of the role,

Most people will quite happily 'cheat it till you make it' and simply learn the culture on the job. I think it depends on your work-life experiences to understand this point truely, once you get to work with enough people you'll know what I mean. And this is especially true with Civil Service, in my experience. I can spot the devious mugs a mile off.
Original post by ksq
The plus here is that once you recognise and are familiar with the formula, it makes scoring high that much more simpler haha. These tests are very poorly designed, but doesn't bother me, they've just made it easier for smart people like me to exploit the process haha

First time ever doing the SJT. rest assured next time I do one i’ll Score a hell of a lot higher. Simply because, as you say, knowing how to play the system which makes a mockery of it in the first place.
Reply 86
By the way guys I don't in anyway advocate cheating or adopting devious methods to succeed. I am simply pointing out flaws in the process and demonstrating how these may be exploited, eventually resulting in the wrong sort of candidate on the job. I am all for merit-based, fair and honest selection processes, but cannot ignore the blatant flaws.
Just checked my emails and in my junk i found an invitation to complete a survey from hmrc in regards to the test and selection process i completed it is is ligit that was sent today at half 2.so sound like they are cracking on with things
Reply 88
First time ever doing the SJT. rest assured next time I do one i’ll Score a hell of a lot higher. Simply because, as you say, knowing how to play the system which makes a mockery of it in the first place.

Completely, and good luck with you current applications mate.
Original post by ksq
By the way guys I don't in anyway advocate cheating or adopting devious methods to succeed. I am simply pointing out flaws in the process and demonstrating how these may be exploited, eventually resulting in the wrong sort of candidate on the job. I am all for merit-based, fair and honest selection processes, but cannot ignore the blatant flaws.

Totally agree. The frustrating thing is I already work at equivalent of this grade. HEO in an ALB. I constantly meet these competencies when my APR is carried out. My job requires me to be effective at collaboration and partnerships yet I scored below average. That can’t be right. The scenarios adopted are also subjective. What I think is counterproductive may be seen as being effective by someone else. It all depends on a number of circumstances.
Original post by ksq
Completely, and good luck with you current applications mate.

Cheers mate 👍
Reply 91
Original post by Anisablue
Just checked my emails and in my junk i found an invitation to complete a survey from hmrc in regards to the test and selection process i completed it is is ligit that was sent today at half 2.so sound like they are cracking on with things

I also got that email a few days ago!
Reply 92
I think you totally nailed this! I scored 86 when I applied for the TSP (bombed the assessment centre tho). A couple of people who got through to the final stage applied for these posts as a back-up, and dropped 50-60 percentile points on the CSJT. I took this as a warning against complacency, so I re-studied the competencies before taking the test again, and managed to up my score to 98. It really is about how your answer choices reflect the CS competency framework.

Same are u on the serve for an O band position from TSP?
Original post by ksq
Most people will quite happily 'cheat it till you make it' and simply learn the culture on the job. I think it depends on your work-life experiences to understand this point truely, once you get to work with enough people you'll know what I mean. And this is especially true with Civil Service, in my experience. I can spot the devious mugs a mile off.

Wow.
14 years in public sector, before a career break for kids, a year working in Europe, a few years in teaching combined with self-employment, before deciding on this change of career .... guess I still need a bit more work-life experience to understand :wink:
Original post by zoedmc
Same are u on the serve for an O band position from TSP?

Yes - and same city as you :smile:
Reply 95
Totally agree. The frustrating thing is I already work at equivalent of this grade. HEO in an ALB. I constantly meet these competencies when my APR is carried out. My job requires me to be effective at collaboration and partnerships yet I scored below average. That can’t be right. The scenarios adopted are also subjective. What I think is counterproductive may be seen as being effective by someone else. It all depends on a number of circumstances.

Completely mate, earlier in the thread I posted about this. Being overly insightful in your responses can become highly subjective, dependant on the individuals own experiences and outlook, even though the individual may possess years of experience in a similar role and at the same level. Recognising that there is a formulated black and white response to the questions as we have mentioned, means it is safer to simply respond according to the formula and save the insight-fullness for another time, thus avoiding the risk of subjectivity completely and ultimately ensuring a high score is achieved.
Reply 96
Wow.
14 years in public sector, before a career break for kids, a year working in Europe, a few years in teaching combined with self-employment, before deciding on this change of career .... guess I still need a bit more work-life experience to understand :wink:

Sorry, sincere apologies on my part, I realise that totally comes across quite condescendingly, that wasn't my intention. Again, sincere apologies.
Original post by ksq
Completely mate, earlier in the thread I posted about this. Being overly insightful in your responses can become highly subjective, dependant on the individuals own experiences and outlook, even though the individual may possess years of experience in a similar role and at the same level. Recognising that there is a formulated black and white response to the questions as we have mentioned, means it is safer to simply respond according to the formula and save the insight-fullness for another time, thus avoiding the risk of subjectivity completely and ultimately ensuring a high score is achieved.

Put it down to experience. You never know might get an interview based on my other high scores.
Original post by ksq
Sorry, sincere apologies on my part, I realise that totally comes across quite condescendingly, that wasn't my intention. Again, sincere apologies.

Ha ha, no worries! - these forums would be a bit dull if there was never any push and pull :biggrin:
Reply 99
Ha ha, no worries! - these forums would be a bit dull if there was never any push and pull :biggrin:

haha, and kudos to handling the situation effectively. excellent communication skills and situational awareness. You're hired!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending