The Student Room Group

Confused about ELQ rule

Can anyone help me out. I'm a bit confused about doing a second degree/the ELQ rule. I know that you can't get funding from sfe if you've already completed a degree on the same level. But there are some exceptions, such as part time engineering degrees, nhs funded degrees etc. Are any other science subject exempt from this rule or is it only engeneering/maths. Also when they say a subject is exempt from the ELQ rule do they mean they don't have to pay a higher fee (im getting the impression some universities make you make you pay a higher fee for a second degree) or that they will get funding for the second degree from sfe?

I'm thinking about maybe doing a second degree in Zoology.

Thanks guys,

I'm going to ring sfe tomorrow.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Can anyone help me out. I'm a bit confused about doing a second degree/the ELQ rule. I know that you can't get funding from sfe if you've already completed a degree on the same level. But there are some exceptions, such as part time engineering degrees, nhs funded degrees etc. Are any other science subject exempt from this rule or is it only engeneering/maths. Also when they say a subject is exempt from the ELQ rule do they mean they don't have to pay a higher fee (im getting the impression some universities make you make you pay a higher fee for a second degree) or that they will get funding for the second degree from sfe?

I'm thinking about maybe doing a second degree in Zoology.

Thanks guys,

I'm going to ring sfe tomorrow.

Hi Bongo Bongo,

You need to check the course code of the Zoology course, you could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the following.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

Biological Sciences (C)

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)

Physical Sciences (F)

Mathematical Sciences (G)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed. To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G). The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

Can you tell me the name of the course and university or college that you will be studying at in 2018/19.

Thanks Rona
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Bongo Bongo,

You need to check the course code of the Zoology course, you could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the following.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Biological Sciences (C)

Physical Sciences (F)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed. To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G). The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

Can you tell me the name of the course and university or college that you will be studying at in 2018/19.

Thanks Rona

Thanks for your reply Rona,

What I'm finding is that both admissions teams and senior lecturers at most universities I've contacted don't know about this rule, and don't know if their course is exempt or not. Do you think it would be better to wait until clearing in August to apply?

Thanks
Thanks for your reply Rona,

What I'm finding is that both admissions teams and senior lecturers at most universities I've contacted don't know about this rule, and don't know if their course is exempt or not. Do you think it would be better to wait until clearing in August to apply?

Thanks

Hi Bongo Bongo,

If you speak to the main office at the university they will be aware of the STEM subjects.

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed.

As I advised to determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G).

The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

If you have the name of the university, start date and course details we can check on the database we share with the universty if it has the appropriate JACS code.

Thanks Rona
Thanks for your message Rona.

The two courses I'm looking at are both at Bournemouth University (B50) and are;

Biological Sciences (C100)

And

Ecology and Wildlife Conservation (CD14)

I think both are offered part time.

Thanks.
Thanks for your message Rona.

The two courses I'm looking at are both at Bournemouth University (B50) and are;

Biological Sciences (C100)

And

Ecology and Wildlife Conservation (CD14)

I think both are offered part time.

Thanks.

Hi Bongo Bongo,

Bournemouth have no part-time course for Biological Sciences (C100) on the database only a full-time version is currently listed.

They would need to add a part-time course with the Jacs code C.

With regards the second course, you need to check with the university how they have entered the course details on the database, if they are correct.

Bournemoth have listed the Part-time Ecology and Wildlife Conservation course on the database with Subject Categories as

H - Engineering
H100 - General engineering

This would not be a STEM course.

The full-time version course has subject categories

C - Biological Sciences
C180 - Ecology

which indicate if the part-time course was the same then it should be eligible.

If incorrect the university need to update the database to change the subject categories.

Regards Rona
Thanks Rona, I'll contact the University.
Hi Rona,I'm having similar trouble when I phone SFE. I'm being told that they can't quite see the level of coding they need to give me a definitive answer, so maybe you can help.Regarding your comment to Bongo Bongo, you mentioned the following:1. Courses with a JACS code beginning H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G would be an exception;2. Part-time Ecology and Wildlife Conservation is listed under H and is therefore not an exception. The two statements above seem to contradict each other. Am I missing something?I've accepted a place at Birkbeck to study BSc Psychology part-time over 4 years. I can only find the full-time code (C800), but I can't find the part-time code. Are part-time codes on the database, and if not, would the full time course (C800) even be eligible? Based on conditions 1 and 2 above I can't really infer anything from the JACS codes. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated,Matthew
Hi Rona, would a major/minor joint honours degree qualify? I'm looking at Zoology with Conservation BSc (C3L2) at Bangor University.

Thanks again.
Also Rona would an intergrated masters be funded if I already have a masters?
Can you please help me? I just applied for Medical Ultrasound - BSc (Hons)Medical ultrasound 19-20UCAS Code:B800 as second degree and got rejected funded
Medical Ultrasound - BSc (Hons)
Medical ultrasound 19-20
UCAS Code:B800 Is that degree NHS funded ?
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Bongo Bongo,

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Biological Sciences (C)

Physical Sciences (F)

Thanks Rona
How many degrees can someone have under the elq rule?Can someone carry on studying all his/her life?Thanks
Hi again SFE, I was wondering if this would cover a maintenance loan as well as tuiton fees?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending