The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Burkhardt House, Canterbury Court, Sheavyn House - what are they REALLY like?

I was thinking of putting these down as my accomodation choices, but some online reviews really put me off. Anyone here know what they're actually like?

I want somewhere fairly sociable, but I'm also a really light sleeper, hence not choosing some of the more 'sociable' halls. I also would like self catered, ensuite (like everyone else out there :h:) . Are the people who stay in these halls usually easy to get along with, or are they just too quiet? Also, how are the rooms and other facilities? How easy is it to get to and from campus?

Also, if I put these as my options, how likely am I to get given one of them? (given I haven't applied for accomodation yet..) I know sheavyn hall is in 'high demand' but the otheres arent.

Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by floralandfading
I was thinking of putting these down as my accomodation choices, but some online reviews really put me off. Anyone here know what they're actually like?

I want somewhere fairly sociable, but I'm also a really light sleeper, hence not choosing some of the more 'sociable' halls. I also would like self catered, ensuite (like everyone else out there :h:) . Are the people who stay in these halls usually easy to get along with, or are they just too quiet? Also, how are the rooms and other facilities? How easy is it to get to and from campus?

Also, if I put these as my options, how likely am I to get given one of them? (given I haven't applied for accomodation yet..) I know sheavyn hall is in 'high demand' but the otheres arent.

Thankyou :biggrin:

Hi I studied at Manchester Uni and live in Burkhardt House in my first and honestly I would advise against it. I'm only really close friends with one person that I lived with. Luckily I found it easy to make friends and spent a lot of time at other friends places. For the balance you describe, I would recommend Richmond Park! I'd also recommend one of the halls in Owens Park but not Oak House. Oak House is notorious for having parties all throughout the year and even during exams. Good luck with your studies!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by IRC
Hi I studied at Manchester Uni and live in Burkhardt House in my first and honestly I would advise against it. I'm only really close friends with one person that I lived with. Luckily I found it easy to make friends and spent a lot of time at other friends places. For the balance you describe, I would recommend Richmond Park! I'd also recommend one of the halls in Owens Park but not Oak House. Oak House is notorious for having parties all throughout the year and even during exams. Good luck with your studies!

Thankyou! I did like the look of richmond park but I'm just worried about picking "high demand" accomodation incase I get put in something much worse.
Reply 3
Original post by floralandfading
Thankyou! I did like the look of richmond park but I'm just worried about picking "high demand" accomodation incase I get put in something much worse.

I wouldn't worry about the high demand accommodation tag they put on the form. Lots of people apply and end up in the most random places so it's really all about luck at Man Uni when it comes to halls. I would definitely say pick where you like the most and put it as your first, you'll most likely get it or be placed someone very similar. Whitworth Park and the halls in the city are absolutely dead so even if you get placed there, put a transfer request in if you hate it, I knew people who did asap after a week!
Original post by IRC
I wouldn't worry about the high demand accommodation tag they put on the form. Lots of people apply and end up in the most random places so it's really all about luck at Man Uni when it comes to halls. I would definitely say pick where you like the most and put it as your first, you'll most likely get it or be placed someone very similar. Whitworth Park and the halls in the city are absolutely dead so even if you get placed there, put a transfer request in if you hate it, I knew people who did asap after a week!

Okay thankyou!
Original post by IRC

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I heard the same about Owens Park as you did about Oak House... so I'm a bit confused
Reply 6
Owens Park and oak house is pretty much the exact same thing except Owens is catered. If you don't like oak house, I doubt you would like Owens park.
Original post by splooshandwoosh
Sorry to revive a dead thread but I heard the same about Owens Park as you did about Oak House... so I'm a bit confused

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending