The Student Room Group

Guys, how much do looks REALLY matter to you?

I’m curious since it seems like, for many younger guys, they’ll go for the 10/10 girl with 4/10 personality than vice versa

What are your thoughts? Lets say out of 10, (10 being they matter a huge amount)?

Scroll to see replies

For me it's all about the personality however having someone who looks nice is always a plus!
They're important to me. Personality is obviously more important as I just have a tendency to push people out of my life who irritate me, but on the other hand I'm a physically affectionate person and I need that sexual attraction and spark to make me like them more than a friend.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
They're important to me. Personality is obviously more important as I just have a tendency to push people out of my life who irritate me, but on the other hand I'm a physically affectionate person and I need that sexual attraction and spark to make me like them more than a friend.

Agree
Reply 4
I'm only really sold on them if they're dead inside.
Reply 5
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

So like 60/40 personality vs looks?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m curious since it seems like, for many younger guys, they’ll go for the 10/10 girl with 4/10 personality than vice versa

What are your thoughts? Lets say out of 10, (10 being they matter a huge amount)?

As long as she's a 5-6/10 it's more about developing a meaningful connection, you've heard it before - it's more about personality.
Reply 7
Original post by JargonRaygun
As long as she's a 5-6/10 it's more about developing a meaningful connection, you've heard it before - it's more about personality.

Yep, same here with guys
So like 60/40 personality vs looks?

Probably yeah :top:
A lot of the physical things I care about can be changed, like make up, weight and dress sense. Height is important to because I am about 5,7, so pretty short.
Face, as long as you don't have about 6 chins, have teeth, don't have disgusting hair etc.
In terms of quantifying the relative importance of both qualities in a potential partner in the form of a rough percentage, I suppose it would be as follows:

Looks: 40-45%

Personality: 55-60%

I'd prioritise my wife's cooking ability (if she can't even make a round roti, i don't need her), then personality, then physical looks.
I would say 50-50 ngl.
I wouldn't pursue you in that way if I didn't find you attractive.
If I did pursue you and your personality is a 5/10 (average boring etc) I will no longer pursue you.

You need a bit of both imo
Ik this is about what guys think about girls but looks is honestly very important

I think it's just the nature of young hormonal boys. I can remember myself being young, dumb and full of c u m (was f**king great... literally :wink: )

Guys are generally visually stimulated... generally why girls wearing tight or revealling clothing typically get a lot of male attention... regardless of how pretty they actually are.

When meeting people in real life for the first time, I think looks are HUGELY important. IMHO, anyone who thinks otherwise is either deluded or or in denial. Of course there will be exceptions, like if the two people knew eachother as part of a larger group.

Think about it, when we meet someone, we will make an initial judgement on that person based purely on how they look and possibly how they carry themselves...(the so-called "first impressions" ). Based on that judgement, we then make a decision on whether this person is worth talking to or will we discard their approach at the first chance. I'm not saying that an approaching person has to be stunning per se, but based on our visual perception of them we decide whether they are someone we are attracted to or feel we would get on with.

It's not just about how "pretty" they are, but also how they choose to present themselves will play a significant part. For example, we all have our own opinions on the usual teenage "tribes" (e.g. townies / chavs or goths / emos... even geeks or jocks).... and that does show (to a degree) their mind set... and based on that, you can make a gauge whether this is someone who you would get on with.

Once They've made it past the first hurdle, of course they've got to have the personality to back it up. Caveat:- When I say personality, I mean you have to actually have one. It's NOT something I'm just saying to make average or less attractive people feel better about themselves.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's all about the cooking ability!

Jokes aside, looks do matter but I'd take the slightly less attractive girl with the better personality over the more attractive girl with an awful personality.
Original post by gjd800
I'm only really sold on them if they're dead inside.

hahahaha this made me giggle
Imma be honest here.
For me it is like 75/25 looks vs personality
I'd put it down as a 50/50 between personality and looks 'cause at the end of the day if one thing wasn't there then I'd struggle to care.

Opinions on somebody's looks and/or somebody's personality will vary wildly depending on the person doing the judging so it's not worth worrying about too intensely.
As much as people say personality is more important I still have to be attracted to the person physically before wanting to get to know them.

This doesn’t necessarily mean they have to be 10/10 but at least a 6,7.

Also even if a girl was 10/10 she would be immediately unattractive if I couldn’t have a decent conversation with her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending