The Student Room Group

Which MacBook??

I’m wanting to purchase a MacBook , however I have no idea which model or year is the best. The price of them is obviously quite off-putting , and it makes me question whether I’d get the full potential out of one. I want it for university (this September) and then purely leisure. I want something that is bright, quick and not heavy (or too big either). Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve heard of re-furbishment but I’m not really sure how that works
Reply 1
I would say go with the MacBook Air.
Thankyou. I was wondering if there was any reason for you saying that or??
Reply 3
Original post by Kayleighbirdxx
Thankyou. I was wondering if there was any reason for you saying that or??

I brought one last year. Its really durable and lightweight. Expensive, yes, but its worth it.
Only disadvantage is that if you want Microsoft you might need to buy that (thats with all MacBooks)
The MacBook Air has really good battery life and it's thin, the 12 inch MacBook is of course smaller and has a much better screen than the Air (the Air has reaally bad viewing angle) and the Pro is the most powerful one of them all.

If you're concerned with consuming media or Netflix, get the MacBook. It comes in multiple colours and the screen is on par with the Pro, it's small, cure and you can take it anywhere. The only downside is that there's one port.

If you're concerned with performance and running performance intensive apps such as Photoshop or even games, the Pro will be your best choice. If you don't really care about both the Pro and the MacBook, get the Air, it's the cheapest option and it really isn't that bad.

Just to point out, the MacBook range of laptops are probably going to be updated with new hardware in June, so make of that what you will.

Refurbishment is also a good option, and you can get great deals for the price, but I'd suggest sticking with Apple refurbished products as they come with a 1 year warranty and new cables and stuff

I hope my geeking out was useful in any way as I'm waiting for a blood test :smile:
I want a really bright screen. Would an air not be good enough then??
I want a really bright screen. Would an air not be good enough then??

At risk of sounding rude, ignore the people above. The MacBook Air is basically three years old and horrendous value for the price Apple charge but gets away with it for being the least expensive option they sell, and people need to stop buying it.

If you want to buy a MacBook right now, get the entry level 13" MacBook Pro, it's the sweet spot between price and performance. However if you don't need to buy something right away, I strongly recommend waiting for Apple to release their annual update. Intel, the company that produce the processors that Apple use in their computers, have stopped making dual core versions of the i5 processors found in the MacBook Air and 13" MacBook Pro, meaning all of these laptops will be getting quad core processors that Apple try to save for their 15" models. That alone will be a substantial performance jump and well worth the wai (I know you don't think you'll make full use of a Mac anyway, but this will allow the laptop to run smoothly for another couple of years if nothing else), on top of any other improvements they make to the laptops.
Surly the prices will rise even higher in June when they do this update??
Surly the prices will rise even higher in June when they do this update??

Not necessarily, and if the prices do increase to a point you're not comfortable with, stores will still have stock of the 2017 models for several weeks and may even reduce the price on them to try and shift that old stock. Best case scenario is you get a newer laptop at the same price point, worst case scenario you just buy the laptop you were going to buy anyway.
Reply 9
Are you saying I got ripped off? XD
Original post by allie.moe
Are you saying I got ripped off? XD

Petty much, yeah. They were just about competitive as ultraboooks at that price in 2015, but they've barely updated it at all in that time- no manufacturer should be using 3 generation old processors in current models, never mind charge over £500 for them. The only reason Apple can get away with it is because they're the only one producing MacBooks and can dictate what's available at each price point.
appparently the air is getting revamped this year. But regarding macbook power, the macbook is least powerful, the air is middle ground and pro is most powerful
Original post by quasa
appparently the air is getting revamped this year. But regarding macbook power, the macbook is least powerful, the air is middle ground and pro is most powerful

The entry level MacBook actually outperforms the Air in benchmarks now, after they got a 2017 refresh the new processors overtook the older i5 in the Air.

But yeah, I suggested waiting for the 2018 refresh above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending