The Challenge of German Nationalism 1789–1919

The Changing Nature of Warfare 1792–1945

Britain and Ireland 1791–1921

China and its Rulers 1839–1989

Russia and its Rulers 1855–1964

Civil Rights in the USA 1865–1992

From Colonialism to Independence: The British Empire 1857–1965

The Middle East 1908–2011: Ottomans to Arab Spring

This exam is for A Level only, not AS candidates.

Please use the poll to select which topic you're doing.

If you click here you can see who else is studying the same topic as you, @tag them in the thread and get chatting and sharing ideas.

I did Civil Rights USA for A Level last year, feel free to ask me anything.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

for anyone sitting Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 I got a B in that paper last year, so ask me if you need any tips/advise :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, for anyone doing the Civil Rights 1865-1992 exam this year, I've typed up all the exam-style questions I could find for all 4 sections :-)
Similar to the above, but with more questions, see attached for Civil Rights exam practice.:biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Similar to the above, but with more questions, see attached for Civil Rights exam practice.:biggrin:

Hi, do you have the 2017 paper questions by any chance? :h:
I’m doing the 1066-1216 English government and the church. Only 5 schools do this topic and my school is the only school doing it that’s not a grammar school.
Original post by taliakx
Hi, do you have the 2017 paper questions by any chance? :h:
Nope. And even if I did, it can't go public at the moment, exam rules and such.:frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm doing US Civil Rights 1865-1992 and I'm just doing my interpretations research - I would really appreciate it if anybody could share their notes with me, since all I've got right now are the notes given in the revision guide, and I feel that I need much more depth than that :afraid:

Actually, if anybody has any notes at all on US Civil Rights I'd love for you to share them, I feel as if we've skimmed over a lot of the course (and the textbook we've been using apparently isn't in depth enough (says the internet)) - any help is appreciated! :biggrin:

Also, thank you so much for sharing the questions; all I've had to go off of so far are the sample questions!

I look forward to being absolutely petrified before the exam with you all! :biggrin:
Original post by Manninagh
Actually, if anybody has any notes at all on US Civil Rights I'd love for you to share them, I feel as if we've skimmed over a lot of the course (and the textbook we've been using apparently isn't in depth enough (says the internet)) - any help is appreciated! :biggrin:
It's natural for the thematic unit not to be taught with a great deal of depth. And that's going to be the case for everyone, not just you.

I'll point you towards the following link for more helpful things...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=US+Civil+Rights+1865-1992&level_id%5B%5D=a2&level_id%5B%5D=as&subject_id%5B%5D=history
Forgot to mention this earlier, but if anybody's interested, I've made some courses for the Civil Rights in the USA course on Memrise, which I think is pretty useful for learning dates and terminology (although it was originally designed for languages, but eh). It's up to you whether you decide to use them or not, but I hope you find them useful!

https://www.memrise.com/course/1787653/ocr-a-level-civil-rights-african-americans/

https://www.memrise.com/course/1871770/ocr-a-level-history-civil-rights-native-american/

https://www.memrise.com/course/1787656/ocr-a-level-civil-rights-workers/

https://www.memrise.com/course/1826279/ocr-a-level-history-civil-rights-women/
Reply 10
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
for anyone sitting Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 I got a B in that paper last year, so ask me if you need any tips/advise :smile:

Hey I'm doing this paper this year and I was wondering how you revised for it and how you remebered all the knowledge as im struggling to remember everything. Also, if you can remember could you let me know what questions came up in your paper? :smile:

Thanks so much x
Original post by Roseexx
Hey I'm doing this paper this year and I was wondering how you revised for it and how you remebered all the knowledge as im struggling to remember everything. Also, if you can remember could you let me know what questions came up in your paper? :smile:

Thanks so much x

Hi!

If I'm being honest, I don't believe I knew everything for that paper. Most of the marks are for technique and the way you're answering the essay. Each paragraph - for the optional essays at least - needs to have at least 1 Tsar and 1 Communist comparison/difference.

One thing I did do was make a general essay plan for each theme -e.g. War, economics. If you can get each down to approximately 3 or 4 paragraphs (e.g. War was: Social, economic and political influences) with information from both Tsars and Communists to support your arguments (such as dates and figures, but even if it boils down to 'Alexander II was kinder in this regard, when you consider emancipation of the Serfs. In contrast Stalin was in no way kind.' then that's fine.) This way, if the question asks for a specific reason or time, e.g. Economic factors were the more significant reason for War, you can edit the plans accordingly.

Also podcasts - a great way to spend long trips (and it'll give you extra information that teachers won't supply you with - it's the reason I was the best at the Khrushchev essays in my class).

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
Hi!

If I'm being honest, I don't believe I knew everything for that paper. Most of the marks are for technique and the way you're answering the essay. Each paragraph - for the optional essays at least - needs to have at least 1 Tsar and 1 Communist comparison/difference.

One thing I did do was make a general essay plan for each theme -e.g. War, economics. If you can get each down to approximately 3 or 4 paragraphs (e.g. War was: Social, economic and political influences) with information from both Tsars and Communists to support your arguments (such as dates and figures, but even if it boils down to 'Alexander II was kinder in this regard, when you consider emancipation of the Serfs. In contrast Stalin was in no way kind.' then that's fine.) This way, if the question asks for a specific reason or time, e.g. Economic factors were the more significant reason for War, you can edit the plans accordingly.

Also podcasts - a great way to spend long trips (and it'll give you extra information that teachers won't supply you with - it's the reason I was the best at the Khrushchev essays in my class).

I hope this helps :smile:

Hi thanks so much
yes i am definitely planning do some essay plans and what podcasts did you listen to?
Hey everyone,

I'm just going over the essay structure for US Civil Rights, and I'm realising we've hardly gone over it in class, so I have a few questions.

For the 25 marker, how should I properly structure my essays? What I've done so far is something like this:

Intro: Define obscure terms mentioned in the question and briefly state my agreement / disagreement with the issue in question, and define what I'll discuss in the essay

P1: Address the given factor (eg. 1970's / 80's being the most progressive time for Native American Civil Rights) in terms of Social, Political and Economic factors (unless the given factor is a specific event or organisation and not a time period, in which case I address that alone first)

P2: Address other social factors throughout the period (I try to have one in the 1800's, one in the mid-1900's, and one from after the 70's)

P3: Same as P2 but for Political factors (this in itself is split into Presidential, Legislative and Judicial factors)

P4: Same as P2, but for Economic factors (if they fit the question, I can't always find a way to properly fit them in)

Conclusion: Explain my agreement / disagreement with the matter in question with justification from factors mentioned in the essay

How solid is this structure? I feel like it's often hard to stick to the time limit (I spend 5 minutes on planning and 40 minutes on the essay) by including so much - am I including too much, is my structure wrong, or do I just need to get better at time management?

Then, for Section A, should I aim to have two or three points both in favour and against each source?

I know I'm asking for a lot of advice, but I'd really appreciate it if anybody could help me out!
Anyone doing changing nature of warfare and has any good revision tips/notes websites, I’m really struggling with the overall context
Reply 15

How did you layout/plan your answer? How much detail to go into for the depth study?
Has anyone got any advice for the Middle East exam, anybody who may of taken the exam or can assist on how to structure the exam answer for both questions to achieve a high grade? Many thanks!
Reply 17
Hiya I’m doing Russia and it’s Rulers 1855-1964 and am really struggling with choosing themes for my paragraphs.

How would you choose themes to write about for this:
‘Russian expansion in the Far East in the period from 1855-1964 was very limited.’ How far do you agree?
Original post by mary_27
Hiya I’m doing Russia and it’s Rulers 1855-1964 and am really struggling with choosing themes for my paragraphs.

How would you choose themes to write about for this:
‘Russian expansion in the Far East in the period from 1855-1964 was very limited.’ How far do you agree?
Can the question just be limited to a Geographical expansion? How about a political expansion? I notice the period covers 1949 onwards, if Russia were the only major communist power in the world at that point you can argue that they spread their ideology to China and then (North) Korea and so in the sense of political ideologies this was not limited because of the impact that these things had globally (i.e. cold war).

you'd have to phrase it better than that but does that makes sense?:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by 04MR17
Can the question just be limited to a Geographical expansion? How about a political expansion? I notice the period covers 1949 onwards, if Russia were the only major communist power in the world at that point you can argue that they spread their ideology to China and then (North) Korea and so in the sense of political ideologies this was not limited because of the impact that these things had globally (i.e. cold war).

you'd have to phrase it better than that but does that makes sense?:smile:

Unfortunately I think the question has more of a focus on geographical expansion although I've no doubt that political expansion could be weaved into the answer occasionally. How would you split the essay into themes as I have a lot of information that I can't seem to group together for my separate paragraphs. Thank you so much for your help- very much appreciated

Latest

Trending

Trending