The Student Room Group

What is A Level Spanish like?

I want to do a level Spanish, but before i decide, i want to make sure i know what it's like... so what do you actually do for the writing and speaking exam? i know that in the listening, there's a part where you need to summarise a listening extract. But I've heard that you get to listen to the listening track individually with headphones and get to play it as many times as you want? Is that true? :/ (i hope it is lol) thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Berrydo
I want to do a level Spanish, but before i decide, i want to make sure i know what it's like... so what do you actually do for the writing and speaking exam? i know that in the listening, there's a part where you need to summarise a listening extract. But I've heard that you get to listen to the listening track individually with headphones and get to play it as many times as you want? Is that true? :/ (i hope it is lol) thanks!

Yep that's true!

For the writing you either study one book and a film or two books. You then will do an exam where you have to write two essays (one for each book/film) and it's sort of the like the same essays you do for GCSE English lit so it could be on a character, a theme, etc.

For your speaking you have to do an ''Individual Research Project'' which you can chose to do on any subject you want (as long as it's related to Spain or a Spanish speaking country). For example mine's on the rising youth unemployment in Spain. In the exam you will have to give a two minute presentation on what you've researched and then have a ten minute discussion with the examiner. After that, you will get a card which will have a question on and you get five minutes to prepare what you want to say (but you're not allowed to write any notes or anything). When the five minutes is up you'll have a five minute discussion about the topic on the card. These topics can be on anything you've done over the past 2 years e.g immigration, family structure, internet etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Berrydo

I did Spanish at AS then dropped it, it is good to learn a language and I wish I carried it on so I would be completely fluent but compared to my other subjects it was the one which was the most work. If you choose it then be prepared to put in the work as it is extremely hard work especially if you want to get a good grade, even people who spoke Spanish fluently found it challenging. Also, you do get to play the listening tape as many times as you want!
Original post by sundae
Yep that's true!

For the writing you either study one book and a film or two books. You then will do an exam where you have to write two essays (one for each book/film) and it's sort of the like the same essays you do for GCSE English lit so it could be on a character, a theme, etc.

For your speaking you have to do an ''Individual Research Project'' which you can chose to do on any subject you want (as long as it's related to Spain or a Spanish speaking country). For example mine's on the rising youth unemployment in Spain. In the exam you will have to give a two minute presentation on what you've researched and then have a ten minute discussion with the examiner. After that, you will get a card which will have a question on and you get five minutes to prepare what you want to say (but you're not allowed to write any notes or anything). When the five minutes is up you'll have a five minute discussion about the topic on the card. These topics can be on anything you've done over the past 2 years e.g immigration, family structure, internet etc.

i see! thank you! i guess the listening isn't too bad then haha! so for the writing, i basically write an essay on lanuage and stuff like at eng lit?

Quick Reply

Latest