The Student Room Group

Private Candidacy for Edexcel A-Level Further Maths.

Guys, I'm planning on entering as a private candidate to take the Further Maths A-Level qualification next year, which would be my gap year before I go to university. I want to know if it's possible to do the full A-Level (AS and A2) in one year.
By this I mean is it possible to do all papers (1,2,3 and 4) in one year?

P.S Obviously it is the new spec I'm talking about.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not quite sure what you're asking - the only option for doing a linear A level is to take all the papers in one exam season, so yes it is possible but I'm fairy sure that there are only 3 papers for Further Maths.
You should ask the centre you are doing the exam with. Different centres vary. For example my Physics Edexcel exam centre in London do not offer the theoretical practical exam paper where as a centre in Bristol does.
Further Maths is linear so you should be able to do the full A-level in 1 go. I understand the pain of this as Edexcel are not clear enough even the textbooks are terrible at explaining simple concepts. Due to my distrust in Edexcel's syntax I would strongly advise you to keep asking the exam officer at the centre to contact the Edexcel board for the correct information, this way you won't be to blame.
Original post by Compost
I'm not quite sure what you're asking - the only option for doing a linear A level is to take all the papers in one exam season, so yes it is possible but I'm fairy sure that there are only 3 papers for Further Maths.

Only three? Sorry, that is an error on my part. So it is possible to take all the papers in the Edexcel A-Level Further Maths qualification? I'm confused because someone said the other day that I'd have to spend two years to do all the papers.
Original post by SkrillerFanatic
Only three? Sorry, that is an error on my part. So it is possible to take all the papers in the Edexcel A-Level Further Maths qualification? I'm confused because someone said the other day that I'd have to spend two years to do all the papers.

Yes you can take one year to do the linear papers.
Original post by Hinaterian
You should ask the centre you are doing the exam with. Different centres vary. For example my Physics Edexcel exam centre in London do not offer the theoretical practical exam paper where as a centre in Bristol does.
Further Maths is linear so you should be able to do the full A-level in 1 go. I understand the pain of this as Edexcel are not clear enough even the textbooks are terrible at explaining simple concepts. Due to my distrust in Edexcel's syntax I would strongly advise you to keep asking the exam officer at the centre to contact the Edexcel board for the correct information, this way you won't be to blame.

Thanks for that, I have really been looking for more info on this but now you have made it clearer. So all I have to do is contact the Exams department at the centre and ask if it's possible to do all the papers in the spec in one year? I'm just worried I might have to end up spending two years to complete the qualification and get a full A-Level. But thanks anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Yes you can take one year to do the linear papers.

By that you mean AS and A2 in one year? Not sure what linear really means.
(edited 6 years ago)

You don't need to do the AS exam - just take the papers in one go. Perhaps the person you spoke to was confused as you can't take the full A level until 2019?

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.html#tab-
You don't need to do the AS exam - just take the papers in one go. Perhaps the person you spoke to was confused as you can't take the full A level until 2019?

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.html#tab-

I'm sorry, but what exactly do you mean I don't have to do the AS exam?
How can I do all the papers without doing the AS papers?
I'm sorry, but what exactly do you mean I don't have to do the AS exam?
How can I do all the papers without doing the AS papers?

Read the spec I linked to - F Maths is linear and AS no longer contributes to the final grade.
Thanks for that, I have really been looking for more info on this but now you have made it clearer. So all I have to do is contact the Exams department at the centre and ask if it's possible to do all the papers in the spec in one year? I'm just worried I might have to end up spending two years to complete the qualification and get a full A-Level. But thanks anyway.

You're welcome, yes it should be just that hopefully.
Just wondering about how you learn Further Maths on your own or what resources you use? I am home-schooled in Physics (mostly self-taught) and I have studied Further Maths last year at sixth form but now I'll be studying for it at home after my Physics exam so this is why I am asking at how you prepare and what modules you are studying? How many modules is it and which ones (like can you choose the combination even if it is the same books as in the maths). At sixth-form my teacher used D1, M1 and Pure 1 for Further Maths lessons, were those 3 all what I need for a Further Maths full A-level?
Would appreciate answers, thanks
Original post by Compost

But it says here there are four papers. https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf
Original post by Compost

Edexcel has four papers for A level F Maths - first sitting 2019.
Original post by Hinaterian
You're welcome, yes it should be just that hopefully.
Just wondering about how you learn Further Maths on your own or what resources you use? I am home-schooled in Physics (mostly self-taught) and I have studied Further Maths last year at sixth form but now I'll be studying for it at home after my Physics exam so this is why I am asking at how you prepare and what modules you are studying? How many modules is it and which ones (like can you choose the combination even if it is the same books as in the maths). At sixth-form my teacher used D1, M1 and Pure 1 for Further Maths lessons, were those 3 all what I need for a Further Maths full A-level?
Would appreciate answers, thanks

I'm not home-schooled currently, I will complete year 2 at college and I'm doing A-Level Maths, Physics and Computer Science. For Maths I just learn everything at home using the Edexcel Pearson textbooks and helpful websites like Examsolutions. I have already learnt the whole of A-Level Further Maths and have done countless past papers on it, Edexcel, Solomon and MadAsMaths papers. My knowledge of modules is very limited as I only do Pure Maths, no stats or Decision maths. I can only self-teach maths, I can't fo this for other subjects!
Edexcel has four papers for A level F Maths - first sitting 2019.

Yes, that confused me quite a bit.
I'm not home-schooled currently, I will complete year 2 at college and I'm doing A-Level Maths, Physics and Computer Science. For Maths I just learn everything at home using the Edexcel Pearson textbooks and helpful websites like Examsolutions. I have already learnt the whole of A-Level Further Maths and have done countless past papers on it, Edexcel, Solomon and MadAsMaths papers. My knowledge of modules is very limited as I only do Pure Maths, no stats or Decision maths. I can only self-teach maths, I can't fo this for other subjects!

Try this website too: http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resources/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

OK, so on that first link you provided, there's a PDF document for 'A Level
Further Mathematics' - https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf

Now is this the qualification that I need to do to get a full A-Level in Edexcel Further Maths? And can I do it all in one year? Forget about AS.
(edited 6 years ago)
OK, so on that first link you provided, there's a PDF document for 'A Level
Further Mathematics' - https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf

Now is this the qualification that I need to do to get a full A-Level in Edexcel Further Maths? And can I do it all in one year? Forget about AS.

Yes

My mistake - sorry for confusing you.

It is normal to spend 2 years studying an A level but you could do it in 5 years or 3 months, it just depends on your ability and the time you have to devote to it. The only constant with linear A levels is that all the exams for an A level have to be taken in the same same season so if you are ready to take them in Summer 2019 then do. To enter for them will just be a single code 9FM0 and then a letter to indicate which applied options you are taking.

A2 is a concept that only exists for modular A levels.

It is possible to take AS exams and gain an AS but if you do take it it does not contribute to the A level so there is only really a point to this if you are not continuing to the A level.

The A level exams test the whole A level content (which includes the AS content) and your A level grade is calculated entirely on your performance in these exams.

Quick Reply

Latest