The Student Room Group

English Language and Maths GCSE 2018 predicted grade boundaries??

Hey can someone tell me roughly how many marks they think would be a grade 4/5 i know you don’t actually know until all papers are marked but I was wondering if someone could just say what they predict??? I’m doing AQA for English and EDEXCEL for maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiya. So a quick Google shows that last year they were as follows:
Language (AQA): 6 - 93, 5 - 82, 4 - 72, 3 - 53.
Literature (AQA): 6 - 98, 5 - 82, 4 - 66, 3 - 49
Maths (Edexcel): Foundation Tier: 5 - 158, 4 - 122, 3 - 90
Higher Tier: 6 - 96, 5 - 68, 4 - 41, 3 - 27

I'd guess they'll got up by a couple of marks this year (shouldn't be any more than 5/6 marks) as the specification isn't brand new and so teachers have past papers and an examiners report to work off, and so should be slightly better at teaching the subjects. But then if the papers are really tough they could go down.

I'd use last year's boundaries above as a guide, since that's all you've got to go off. They shouldn't shift that much

Hope this helps.
Original post by Aleshadavis2611
Hey can someone tell me roughly how many marks they think would be a grade 4/5 i know you don’t actually know until all papers are marked but I was wondering if someone could just say what they predict??? I’m doing AQA for English and EDEXCEL for maths

95% will be a 9!!!
Original post by HettiBetti
95% will be a 9!!!

It's definitely not going to be that high for maths, possibly for english, please don't be this unrealistic and give out completely inaccurate misleading information.
Original post by HettiBetti
95% will be a 9!!!

actually the top 2000 students got a 9 last year, it doesnt technically exist in terms of boundaries, might have changed tho
maths will be LOWWW trust me, last year i didnt finish half the paper in one of my exams and i got a 7 overall. english language will be quite high, english lit will be kinda low aswell
Original post by hellohellothere
maths will be LOWWW trust me, last year i didnt finish half the paper in one of my exams and i got a 7 overall. english language will be quite high, english lit will be kinda low aswell

What was your exam board for english and maths. boundaries were similar for maths but for aqa it was 125 marks for a 7, so probably 120 for edexcel if you're doing edexcel, so getting over 40 marks in each paper would have been a 7.
Original post by Iahmed512
What was your exam board for english and maths. boundaries were similar for maths but for aqa it was 125 marks for a 7, so probably 120 for edexcel if you're doing edexcel, so getting over 40 marks in each paper would have been a 7.

edexcel for all
but remember, i was the first year to do a 9-1 so the grade boundaries are low to make it look better than the old spec
edexcel for all
but remember, i was the first year to do a 9-1 so the grade boundaries are low to make it look better than the old spec

Yeah, there's more than one been sat for it now because of november 2017 retake papers.
I have edexcel for english, but just checked now that my school have been using higher grade boundaries without saying.
Yeah, there's more than one been sat for it now because of november 2017 retake papers.
I have edexcel for english, but just checked now that my school have been using higher grade boundaries without saying.

honestly ur school is doing that for a reason, they are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst
honestly ur school is doing that for a reason, they are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst

Yes I understand but they haven't ever said, but my attitude towards revision hasn't changed after seeing I have got a higher grade for my mocks.

IM so scared for English language I’m like failing anyway but if the grade boundaries are gonna be even higher I may as well give up
IM so scared for English language I’m like failing anyway but if the grade boundaries are gonna be even higher I may as well give up

Don't worry you won't. With language there isn't much to revise or at least revise in terms of memory, except a list of techniques, you just need to practice for revision.
Don't worry you won't. With language there isn't much to revise or at least revise in terms of memory, except a list of techniques, you just need to practice for revision.

Thanks do you thinking doing past papers will help? X
Thanks do you thinking doing past papers will help? X

Depends on if you literally mean past papers, practice papers for the new spec definitely, the only past papers there are is june 2017 papers and november 2017.
There isn't a lot more you can do to be honest, other than practicing by doing questions and practice papers, so it wouldn't actually be too late to not have started now and to leave it later, especially since I think it's later for most exam boards(is for me).
Good luck!
Depends on if you literally mean past papers, practice papers for the new spec definitely, the only past papers there are is june 2017 papers and november 2017.
There isn't a lot more you can do to be honest, other than practicing by doing questions and practice papers, so it wouldn't actually be too late to not have started now and to leave it later, especially since I think it's later for most exam boards(is for me).
Good luck!

Yeah it’s in June thank god!! I’ve started to do practice questions and I think the more I do it the more i’ll grasp to it because before for example q2 I never really analysed enough x
Yeah it’s in June thank god!! I’ve started to do practice questions and I think the more I do it the more i’ll grasp to it because before for example q2 I never really analysed enough x

Yes that's more like it, don't give up!
Reply 17
reeeeeally hope the lit boundarys gonna be low- i'm aiming for all 8s and 9s but i am soo bad at english literature i actually hate it
Yes that's more like it, don't give up!

Yeah literally if you asked me last week I was fully given up!!! Because of the thought of the grade boundaries going up I was like I have no chance, but then I thought if I fail I’m gonna have to do something I REALLY don’t want to do which is go college! I Need to pass so I’m doing lots of past questions starting from today and tomorrow as for q5 I’ve thought of 3 or 4 good voculbary it’s just the matter of fact thinking of a actual good interesting story x
Yeah literally if you asked me last week I was fully given up!!! Because of the thought of the grade boundaries going up I was like I have no chance, but then I thought if I fail I’m gonna have to do something I REALLY don’t want to do which is go college! I Need to pass so I’m doing lots of past questions starting from today and tomorrow as for q5 I’ve thought of 3 or 4 good voculbary it’s just the matter of fact thinking of a actual good interesting story x

And having to redo English language which if you already hate is putting yourself through more pain and suffering.
Don't worry about grade boundaries even if it is higher especially if it's going to make you lose motivation, just aim for the highest mark possible by trying your best in the exam.
It doesn't have to be a story though otherwise it might end up being too long and not being as good. It's more than vocabulary it's about knowing and being able to use techniques like direct address, metaphor, alliteration etc, what you would look for when analysing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending