The Student Room Group

DFID Talent Programme 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vmc21
Congrats! The info that's been sent with the email says that it's a 5 minute presentation and interview, followed by a written exercise and role play assessing the competencies Leading and Communicating, Delivering at pace, Collaborating and Partnering and Making Effective Decisions.

Maybe all the London dates are full. There was a choice of dates, location and time when I booked.

Thanks, I should have checked the page more religiously! I have sent them an email asking whether they can give me an AC in London if possible. Can I ask when your AC in London is- just wondering if they do manage to give me one in London when it will be. :smile:

I haven't got much experience of ID, but hopefully the day will be more competency focused like the Fast Stream- what do yo think?
Reply 81
Original post by legolas97
Thanks, I should have checked the page more religiously! I have sent them an email asking whether they can give me an AC in London if possible. Can I ask when your AC in London is- just wondering if they do manage to give me one in London when it will be. :smile:

I haven't got much experience of ID, but hopefully the day will be more competency focused like the Fast Stream- what do yo think?

Mine is in EK but that's local for me. The dates ranged from mid-April to end-May for both but weren't every day or every week.
I have no specific ID experience either but we're being assessed purely on the competencies I mentioned in my last post, although we do need to show that we are motivated to work in ID in the presentation :smile:
Original post by vmc21
Mine is in EK but that's local for me. The dates ranged from mid-April to end-May for both but weren't every day or every week.
I have no specific ID experience either but we're being assessed purely on the competencies I mentioned in my last post, although we do need to show that we are motivated to work in ID in the presentation :smile:

Thanks, hopefully we'll be able to do well :smile:
Hey guys,
I am a volunteer for the Roman Road Trust, do you think that I can talk about it? I know it's not related to DFID but it's my only experience..
Good luck to you all.
Well done everyone on getting this far! Can't wait to welcome you all to sunny East Kilbride!

Was just wondering if anyone knew what would be expected in an interview "based on strengths?" Has anyone had experience of this or any tips on how to prepare? The wording of the document seems to suggest its is based on "strengths" but not assessed against the competencies like the other stations. Any help gratefully appreciated!

Cheers!
Reply 85
Original post by nia11mcc
Well done everyone on getting this far! Can't wait to welcome you all to sunny East Kilbride!

Was just wondering if anyone knew what would be expected in an interview "based on strengths?" Has anyone had experience of this or any tips on how to prepare? The wording of the document seems to suggest its is based on "strengths" but not assessed against the competencies like the other stations. Any help gratefully appreciated!

Cheers!

Hey, I’m not actually applying for this scheme but google ‘strengths based interview’.

It’s a fairly common form of interviewing which is supposed to get at your ‘natural’ motivations/interests/strengths. The idea is that you can’t (over)prepare answers for a strengths based interview, as opposed to a competency based interview where you can just memorise a selection of experiences and rattle them off in STAR format.
Hey everyone! Sorry to those who didn't get through to this stage, I didn't get to this stage with the graduate scheme last year but managed to get to the AC stage this year so keep persisting! Happy to give any advice after the AC if I have any.

Out of interest, does anyone know how many people got through to the AC stage? I looked at the AC dates as soon as they sent out the emails and there weren't a tonne of dates to choose from but I'm not sure if that reflects how many people DFID are interviewing or not.

Thanks!
Reply 87
I have the AC next Thursday. Could anyone from EK let me know where's best to park? DfID have advised that I'm not likely to get parked there, and the train is not an option.
Original post by vmc21
I have the AC next Thursday. Could anyone from EK let me know where's best to park? DfID have advised that I'm not likely to get parked there, and the train is not an option.

I'm going on Thursday as well mate. There is a pay and display car park at Hairmyres station, it's quite inexpensive, but it's usually rammed with commuters . Your best bet is probably to park down one of the side streets or the nearby Lidl (which I believe you can park without time limit but don't quote me)! I would leave in plenty of time just in case.

Best of luck with the day and maybe see you there!
Do we have a group exercise or go in for 2 hours odd and complete our individual things. Because I do remember seeing something related to group stuff, but if everyone has individual slots throughout the day, I don't know that would work.

Unless several people were able to book the same time slot to make sure they're all there at once.
Reply 90
Original post by nia11mcc
I'm going on Thursday as well mate. There is a pay and display car park at Hairmyres station, it's quite inexpensive, but it's usually rammed with commuters . Your best bet is probably to park down one of the side streets or the nearby Lidl (which I believe you can park without time limit but don't quote me)! I would leave in plenty of time just in case.

Best of luck with the day and maybe see you there!

Thank you! Good luck too. What time is yours?
Reply 91
Original post by unigoer123
Do we have a group exercise or go in for 2 hours odd and complete our individual things. Because I do remember seeing something related to group stuff, but if everyone has individual slots throughout the day, I don't know that would work.

Unless several people were able to book the same time slot to make sure they're all there at once.

A group exercise was mentioned in the original material but not in the email we got. I contacted them to find out and they confirmed that there is no group exercise.
Reply 92
Does anyone here have their AC in London? Or are all the ACs in Scotland? I'm yet to see many London ACers so far.
Original post by apricot5
Does anyone here have their AC in London? Or are all the ACs in Scotland? I'm yet to see many London ACers so far.

Hey, my AC is in london on Tuesday at 3. Anyone knows the exact structure? I took the fast stream AC and I was wondering if it will be similar or not. And are we going to have an interview too or just that 5 min presentation ? :smile:
Original post by apricot5

I have mine in London on Tuesday
Original post by grapes11223344
I have mine in London on Tuesday

What time?
Original post by Criscris2017
What time?

mine is at 12 45 - so must be the slot before yours?

Sounds like it:smile:.
Do you know the structure? I haven’t start preparing that presentation yet :smile:)
Do you know the structure? I haven’t start preparing that presentation yet :smile:)

I just know the structure they provided in the invitation email for the assessment center. And I have not really started preparing the presentation yet either - at least it is only 5 minutes! Rather regretting my choice of date for the assessment - right in the middle of essay deadlines!

Gonna spent a day or so over the weekend. Mines at 12:45 so seems like multiple people are booked at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending