The Student Room Group

Age 24, On a hnc health and social care course finance advice needed for 2018 study

Hi All

Basically I am 24 years old and am in my first year of study for a hnc
health and social care course. I have used student finance to fund this as far as fees go. I really want to go on to do the foundation degree
childcare course which is two years this September. However I have a
slight problem... In 2015 I attempted study for a degree course but dropped out of the course two weeks before Christmas due to ill health. Have been paying back the bit of the student finance loan since from that time.

The following year I was going to do the hnc health and social care course but I then deferred the year in favour of a level 2 childcare apprenticeship (resulting in a small payment of approx £400 from student finance, am paying that back as well). I am now currently studying the hnc in health and social care as couldn't go onto the childcare degree before as didn't
have a relevant full level 3 qualification (couldn't afford to do both years
of my level 3 health and social care) and didn't have enough experience in childcare for the course either.

The childcare course have now said as I have been working in the childcare sector consistently for two years I can apply. But how many years of student finance would I be able to use? As not sure if doing one year on the course would count as a "proper qualification". Hopefully this post makes sense... :smile: any advice anyone can give me would be most appreciated.
Original post by Samwin
Hi All

health and social care course. I have used student finance to fund this as far as fees go. I really want to go on to do the foundation degree
slight problem... In 2015 I attempted study for a degree course but dropped out of the course two weeks before Christmas due to ill health. Have been paying back the bit of the student finance loan since from that time.

The following year I was going to do the hnc health and social care course but I then deferred the year in favour of a level 2 childcare apprenticeship (resulting in a small payment of approx £400 from student finance, am paying that back as well). I am now currently studying the hnc in health and social care as couldn't go onto the childcare degree before as didn't
of my level 3 health and social care) and didn't have enough experience in childcare for the course either.

The childcare course have now said as I have been working in the childcare sector consistently for two years I can apply. But how many years of student finance would I be able to use? As not sure if doing one year on the course would count as a "proper qualification". Hopefully this post makes sense... :smile: any advice anyone can give me would be most appreciated.

Your best to contact SAAS, I wouldn't email just phone. If you do a HNC and then progress onto university you get a extra year of funding but it may be different for you so best to phone!
Original post by Samwin
Hi All

Hi Samwin,

Can I just clarify, you have had one year of previous study on a degree course and withdrew due to health reasons, is that correct?

Secondly, the previous HNC in Health and Social Care, did you attend at all, even for a short time, then withdraw or did you never take up the place?

Can you advise were both these courses studied on a full-time basis?

Thanks Rona
Reply 3
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Samwin,

Can I just clarify, you have had one year of previous study on a degree course and withdrew due to health reasons, is that correct?

Secondly, the previous HNC in Health and Social Care, did you attend at all, even for a short time, then withdraw or did you never take up the place?

Thanks Rona

Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Samwin,

Thanks Rona

Hi Rona

Yep, I withdrew due to health reasons. As far as the second one is concerned I never took up the place and never attended as found my apprenticeship :smile: They were both on a full time basis
Reply 4
If anyone can advise me I would appreciate it. I am from England, UK
Reply 5
anyone able to help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending