The Student Room Group

Would you ever date someone who WASN'T a fan of Phil Collins?

People who don't like Phil Collins can't be trusted. Could you ever date someone who said they don't like him?

Genesis is undeniably great, particular Phil Collins era. Early Genesis can be a bit weird but still good at times (e.g. Time Table).

Their greatest album, Invisible Touch, combines the musical genius of Tony Banks (if you doubt his genius just listen to the intro of Firth of Fifth) with the excellent vocal talent of Phil Collins.

But even Phil Collins solo can be good. Easy Lover, I Wish it Would Rain Down, Another Day in Paradise...

Being at least neutral towards Collins and Genesis is essential in a relationship.

Scroll to see replies

Never heard of him.
Original post by Secret Soul
Never heard of him.

[video="youtube;YiUQE5bJKFU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiUQE5bJKFU[/video]

OH! Think twice...
'Cause it's another day for you and me in paradise...
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Rocky, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Rocky, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Rocky, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Rocky, get down on your knees so Dennis can see your *******. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Rocky, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RockyDennis
[video="youtube;YiUQE5bJKFU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiUQE5bJKFU[/video]

OH! Think twice...
'Cause it's another day for you and me in paradise...

I will sing this to you sweetie. :suith::colondollar:
Original post by clearasilly
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your *******. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I don't like Duke much (apart from Turn it on Again, a masterpiece), or Sussudio, In the Air Tonight, or Against All Odds. Sussudio could grow on me if I listened to it obsessivley instead of ignoring it.

I agree Collins works much better in the group. And Gabriel also was better as part of the group. Apart from "Big Time". I like the music video for "Big Time", it's similar to the Genesis Land of Confusion one.
I don't like Duke much (apart from Turn it on Again, a masterpiece), or Sussudio, In the Air Tonight, or Against All Odds. Sussudio could grow on me if I listened to it obsessivley instead of ignoring it.

I agree Collins works much better in the group. And Gabriel also was better as part of the group. Apart from "Big Time". I like the music video for "Big Time", it's similar to the Genesis Land of Confusion one.

Apologies, I'm loving your enthusiasm for Phil but sadly I was just quoting a film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmTyizVfCng
I can't say I'm a fan as You Can't Hurry Love is the only song I know. Mind you, that is a great song. I could've sworn Easy Lover was by some other artists though.
What do you think of this...

People who don't like Phil Collins can't be trusted. Could you ever date someone who said they don't like him?

Genesis is undeniably great, particular Phil Collins era. Early Genesis can be a bit weird but still good at times (e.g. Time Table).

Their greatest album, Invisible Touch, combines the musical genius of Tony Banks (if you doubt his genius just listen to the intro of Firth of Fifth) with the excellent vocal talent of Phil Collins.

But even Phil Collins solo can be good. Easy Lover, I Wish it Would Rain Down, Another Day in Paradise...

Being at least neutral towards Collins and Genesis is essential in a relationship.

phill collins music is classic 80s stuff
but once you've listened to his songs too much, they get p tiring tbh

whats your favourite phil collins song? i like Against all odds best
Original post by Joinedup
What do you think of this...

It's good, it's not on my Genesis + Collins playlist but I've heard it on "Best Of" compilations and I don't skip over it.
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
whats your favourite phil collins song? i like Against all odds best

Another Day in Paradise, or Easy Lover.
I expect there will be many people who have not heard of Genesis, never mind Phil Collins. Unless they like art:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins_(artist)
If I did go on a date with someone who didn't like Phil Collins....

I could probably feel it

Coming in the air that night.....:teehee:
I like Phil Collins' work, but I wouldn't say enough to make me a fan and I'd be indifferent if someone told me they didn't like his music.
Another Day in Paradise, or Easy Lover.

easy lover is well decent
too many old ppl on this site cos i have no idea who that is
Original post by Rainfall

:shakecane:

80s dude. Sang songs.
Original post by Rainfall

You'll probably recognise if you heard. Surely not too young for this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzFRV1LwIo
I have never heard of him either, so I cannot really expect them to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending