The Student Room Group

How do you take the new linear maths A-levels?

I'm going to be self-studying the new maths and further maths A-levels on Edexcel. I know which exams to take, but would you normally study for 2 years and take 6 exams at the end of the two years?

Thanks
You can do it all in one year, 3 exams for each.
Original post by RedGiant
You can do it all in one year, 3 exams for each.

Do you think if I self-study them for 1 year I could sit them all of them at the end of the first year? So I mean study now and sit them in May/June 2019?

Lets assume I haven't done A-level maths before, but I'm perfectly capable of learning maths. It's a hard situation to describe.

Thank you for your reply.
Reply 3
Original post by Galatic
I'm going to be self-studying the new maths and further maths A-levels on Edexcel. I know which exams to take, but would you normally study for 2 years and take 6 exams at the end of the two years?

Thanks

If you're asking what normally happens in schools. There's two options
1) Take AS exams in both M and FM in the first year (optional, most schools just do mocks) and then the full A Level exams in both at the second year, or
2) Take all of A Level Maths in the first year, and all of A level Further Maths in the second year.

In schools, 1 seems to be more popular than 2, however most people would agree that 2 is the better option, and what I would prefer.
Original post by have
If you're asking what normally happens in schools. There's two options
1) Take AS exams in both M and FM in the first year (optional, most schools just do mocks) and then the full A Level exams in both at the second year, or
2) Take all of A Level Maths in the first year, and all of A level Further Maths in the second year.

In schools, 1 seems to be more popular than 2, however, most people would agree that 2 is the better option, and what I would prefer.

So, if I chose option 2 and I wanted to get 3 full A-levels in maths, further maths and economics, how many A-levels would I have at the end of the first year and how many would I have at the end of the second year? Sorry, this is really confusing for me. I understood the old system, but this is all new to me.
Original post by Galatic
So, if I chose option 2 and I wanted to get 3 full A-levels in maths, further maths and economics, how many A-levels would I have at the end of the first year and how many would I have at the end of the second year? Sorry, this is really confusing for me. I understood the old system, but this is all new to me.

I believe you can take AS exams for both of them and A2 exams for both of them.

The AS is optional though, unless you wish to not continue one of the modules
do AS in both and then A2 in both in the 2 years

or dedicate all time in one year to AS and A2 and then all time in the next to AS and A2

whatever works best for you
Original post by thotproduct
do AS in both and then A2 in both in the 2 years

or dedicate all time in one year to AS and A2 and then all time in the next to AS and A2

whatever works best for you

So, say I wanted 3 A-levels in maths, further maths and economics at the end of 2 years which exams would I sit in the first year and which in the second? Or how many exams would I sit in each year?

Thank you and sorry if this is an odd question.
Original post by RickHendricks
I believe you can take AS exams for both of them and A2 exams for both of them.

The AS is optional though, unless you wish to not continue one of the modules

So, say I wanted 3 A-levels in maths, further maths and economics at the end of 2 years which exams would I sit in the first year and which in the second? Or how many exams would I sit in each year?

Original post by Galatic

sitting exams in the first year is optional.

Meaning you can sit exams for all the AS subjects and take the A-level for all 3 subjects, or not sit AS at all, and still take 3 a-levels (taking exams 2nd year)

Normally some schools (like mine) make students sit the AS exams to get predicted grade, but it's optional, but can be used for predicted grades, and prevents students cheating (sometimes mock papers)
Original post by Galatic

this depends if you actually want to enter into AS

economics from what i hear is also now a linear course

most schools get pupils to do mocks if they cba enter you in for AS, AS is decoupled from A2, meaning that AS performance won't actually contribute to your final A2, it's a separate qualification. though i think it gives you an advantage tbh because your grades have a lot more depth and meaning compared to some random yute who did a y12 mock, you have something solid backing you up. though it's completely optional as the actual qualification is the a2 exam, the a level exam happens at the end of the 2 years.

i can't tell you which exams you'll have when because i don't know what you're planning for maths, it could go one of two ways (if you enter yourself in for AS/end of year mocks)

year 1:
maths- full a level (AS and A2 content)
economics- end of year mock/as

year 2:
further maths- full a level
economics- full a level

or

year 1:
maths- (year 1 content only), as/end of year mock
further maths- (year 1 content), as/end of year mock
economics- as/end of year mock

year 2:
maths- full a level
economics- full a level

aforementioned: many schools enter in for AS in both subjects or AS and A2 in one subject and then another across the two years, it's really a matter of what will suit you the most, our school entered us for AS in both subjects but I know I would've preferred to do my entire a level in the first year and get it out of the way
this depends if you actually want to enter into AS

economics from what i hear is also now a linear course

most schools get pupils to do mocks if they cba enter you in for AS, AS is decoupled from A2, meaning that AS performance won't actually contribute to your final A2, it's a separate qualification. though i think it gives you an advantage tbh because your grades have a lot more depth and meaning compared to some random yute who did a y12 mock, you have something solid backing you up. though it's completely optional as the actual qualification is the a2 exam, the a level exam happens at the end of the 2 years.

i can't tell you which exams you'll have when because i don't know what you're planning for maths, it could go one of two ways (if you enter yourself in for AS/end of year mocks)

year 1:

year 2:
economics- full a level

or

year 1:
maths- (year 1 content only), as/end of year mock
further maths- (year 1 content), as/end of year mock
economics- as/end of year mock

year 2:
maths- full a level
economics- full a level

aforementioned: many schools enter in for AS in both subjects or AS and A2 in one subject and then another across the two years, it's really a matter of what will suit you the most, our school entered us for AS in both subjects but I know I would've preferred to do my entire a level in the first year and get it out of the way

Oh, this makes so much more sense.

So, if I do:
==============================================
year 1:
I will have a full A-level in maths and 1 A-level in economics.

So, after year 1 when I apply to university and I put down current qualifications as:
-----------------------------
1 A-level in maths

1 As in economics
----------------------------
=======================================
and predicted A-level further maths and A-level economics

Will the universities be ok with me having 1 A-level and one As when I apply?

Sorry if this is a strange question. It was much more simple in the old system when you have 3 or 4 As grades in year 1 and 3 full A-levels in year 2.

Thank you very much. Your answer is brilliant.
Original post by Galatic
Oh, this makes so much more sense.

So, if I do:
year 1:
I will have a full A-level in maths and 1 A-level in economics.

So, after year 1 when I apply to university and I put down current qualifications as:
-----------------------------
1 A-level in maths

1 As in economics
----------------------------
and predicted A-level further maths and A-level economics

Will the universities be ok with me having 1 A-level and one As when I apply?

Sorry if this is a strange question. It was much more simple in the old system when you have 3 or 4 As grades in year 1 and 3 full A-levels in year 2.

Thank you very much. Your answer is brilliant.

In essence, if you took that path, your completed qualifications would be an AS in Economics (if you entered), and a full A Level in Maths. The full A Level in Maths is the full completed qualification really, the only other purpose it will serve now is be a indicator/basis of where your FM Predicted Grade lies, the same purpose is served by your Economics AS, it's a much better metric for your final predicted grade.

To answer your question on university, it really depends where you're applying and what you're applying for, so I can't really comment on that without further info, in most cases I doubt it'll be too much of an issue.

Yeah, agreed, I'm a current Y12, however I do my AS and A2 in the normal 2 year span, the reforms have confused many.
In essence, if you took that path, your completed qualifications would be an AS in Economics (if you entered), and a full A Level in Maths. The full A Level in Maths is the full completed qualification really, the only other purpose it will serve now is be a indicator/basis of where your FM Predicted Grade lies, the same purpose is served by your Economics AS, it's a much better metric for your final predicted grade.

To answer your question on university, it really depends where you're applying and what you're applying for, so I can't really comment on that without further info, in most cases I doubt it'll be too much of an issue.

Yeah, agreed, I'm a current Y12, however I do my AS and A2 in the normal 2 year span, the reforms have confused many.

I want to go to university to study a BSc in maths.

I'm looking to go to King's College London, Leeds, York, Sheffield, and Liverpool.

The grades range from A*AA to ABB. It does depend on which subjects you're offering so if you have further maths your offer could be AAA instead of A*AA

Would it be an issue if I applied with 1 full maths A-level and 1 As Economics for these universities?

Do you think I should just try and go through clearing after I have 3 full A-levels?

Thank you again. I really appreciate it.
Original post by Galatic

I'm looking to go to King's College London, Leeds, York, Sheffield, and Liverpool.

The grades range from A*AA to ABB. It does depend on which subjects you're offering so if you have further maths your offer could be AAA instead of A*AA

Would it be an issue if I applied with 1 full maths A-level and 1 As Economics for these universities?

Do you think I should just try and go through clearing after I have 3 full A-levels?

Nice

I know a thing or two about the unis mentioned, PM me if you need more info on the cities/unis.

Some unis may give reduced offers if you do FM.

Don't imagine it would be an issue, most unis, especially maths departments, have many applicants doing FM, most of whom attend schools who have the same policy of taking maths a year early, I don't see a problem in that, your AS Econ grade may actually play to your advantage, as I've said, you're competing against many people who have end of year mocks, where there's a lot less pressure/more flexibility in general than an external AS exam, so in a sense you've got something more solid, credentials wise.

On results day:
1) You meet your offer and want to go, cool, that's that
2) You meet AND exceed your offer and you're looking for something a bit more? Go through adjustment
3) Don't meet offer for firm or insurance? Clearing
4) Do extremely well, perhaps want to apply somewhere even high up the pecking order, take a gap year and reapply with your 3 full-a levels in the bag.
Original post by Galatic

From what I know maths applications can be a little different to some other courses. As noted above they are used to a lot of their best candidates doing A levels maths in one year so are not so fixed on 3 a levels at the same sitting as some other courses (if not you just have to resit it with further maths). They can also be VERY flexible with grades if they see STEP exam passes. This is not always well publicised.

Just apply with A level maths in the bag if you get a high grade and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that you have to apply for clearance or again the next year. Really - nothing lost - people get a bit emotional but no harm in trying.

Quick Reply