The Student Room Group

URGENT!! Spanish oral

I have my Spanish GCSE oral on wednesday and i have hardly prepared at all!!
She gave us this booklet with loads of general conversation questions and was like”fill in the answers to all these and memorise them and youll be fine in the exam”, and ive been telling my self over and over that ill do it but every time ive tried its taken so long to do ontl a few questions and its gotten to the end of the easter holidays and now im sure i dont have the time to fill it in and memorise it and i dont know what to do!!
Ive left it really last minute and im so annoyed woth myself for not doing any work but now im freakng out because my orals in 3 days and im not prepared and i dont know what to do!! I was planning on taking spanish for A level as well so i do want to get good marks
Can someone please help me with anything you think will be good for me to prepare?? Should i just try to fill in the booklet (theres a lot of wuestions) and just memorise it all or is there a better altrnative???? please please help me!!!

Also does anyone know if you can take a water bottle into the oral exam or if its just annoying n stops you from talking as i tend to get a very dry mouth in orals and it stops me from speaking well
Original post by erinn.hx
I have my Spanish GCSE oral on wednesday and i have hardly prepared at all!!
She gave us this booklet with loads of general conversation questions and was like”fill in the answers to all these and memorise them and youll be fine in the exam”, and ive been telling my self over and over that ill do it but every time ive tried its taken so long to do ontl a few questions and its gotten to the end of the easter holidays and now im sure i dont have the time to fill it in and memorise it and i dont know what to do!!
Ive left it really last minute and im so annoyed woth myself for not doing any work but now im freakng out because my orals in 3 days and im not prepared and i dont know what to do!! I was planning on taking spanish for A level as well so i do want to get good marks
Can someone please help me with anything you think will be good for me to prepare?? Should i just try to fill in the booklet (theres a lot of wuestions) and just memorise it all or is there a better altrnative???? please please help me!!!

Also does anyone know if you can take a water bottle into the oral exam or if its just annoying n stops you from talking as i tend to get a very dry mouth in orals and it stops me from speaking well

Just come up with your own answers - you're clearly able enough if you're planning on taking Spanish for A level. Everyone else in the class will have used the booklet so their answers will all sound the same, boring. If you can come up with something original then you will do better. Memorising your teacher's sentence starters etc. will be much harder than memorising your own. Also, if you've written most of it yourself then if you forget a bit you can just improvise.

I didn't bother taking a water bottle into mine, it only lasts 15 minutes at the most so there's not much point, IMO.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Im just so insure how to revise last minute, ive winged past orals but these are the real thing so i know i actually have to try but i dont know how
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by JoeFrazier
Just come up with your own answers - you're clearly able enough if you're planning on taking Spanish for A level. Everyone else in the class will have used the booklet so their answers will all sound the same, boring. If you can come up with something original then you will do better. Memorising your teacher's sentence starters etc. will be much harder than memorising your own. Also, if you've written most of it yourself then if you forget a bit you can just improvise.

I didn't bother taking a water bottle into mine, it only lasts 15 minutes at the most so there's not much point, IMO.

Everyone has different answers she didnt give us sentences just questions to answer as any of her questions will be ones from that booklet, im just worried i dont have time to write out and memorise answers to all the questions, so i wondered if theres a better way to revise and learn phrases and stuff rather than loads and loads of separate answers for each wuestion if that makes sense
if you have a good memory, then memorisation would definitely be the best option. However, considering you haven't written it either, a good option is write up some answers, and half memorise/ wing it. That would also sound more natural. Don't worry, you can do that in 2 days.

Can't you redo coursework until you get it spot on?
If not, (this might be 'bad' advice but, considering you want to take a-level spanish...), I would consider feigning illness and taking at least a day off school to prepare. I did this a lot in my gcses before mock exams I'd left revising for until the last minute, and it helped me a lot haha.
Everyone has different answers she didnt give us sentences just questions to answer as any of her questions will be ones from that booklet, im just worried i dont have time to write out and memorise answers to all the questions, so i wondered if theres a better way to revise and learn phrases and stuff rather than loads and loads of separate answers for each wuestion if that makes sense

Maybe try merging some of the questions together and answering + memorising them? I'm guessing your teacher isn't going to ask you every single one of the questions if you've answered some of them in previous questions. You could always just make something up on the spot?
In my school when we did our Spanish Oral's [year 10] if we got a low grade, we had a chance to redo it (different questions obviously) in year 11(same with Spanish writing) before it was sent away. In total, we would do about 4 orals (and writings) or 3 and in the end, our Spanish teacher would send our best 2. You should ask your Spanish teacher if you have something similar and if you do, then I wouldn't worry too much but take use this as a lesson to work harder next time. However, if you don't then it isn't a disaster as it isn't worth a lot of your final grade, just make sure you do well in your remaining orals, writings, and ofc final exams.

In the meantime, just revise so on the day you have something to say and don't end up with a U.
Good luck.
Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gomgossa
if you have a good memory, then memorisation would definitely be the best option. However, considering you haven't written it either, a good option is write up some answers, and half memorise/ wing it. That would also sound more natural. Don't worry, you can do that in 2 days.

Can't you redo coursework until you get it spot on?
If not, (this might be 'bad' advice but, considering you want to take a-level spanish...), I would consider feigning illness and taking at least a day off school to prepare. I did this a lot in my gcses before mock exams I'd left revising for until the last minute, and it helped me a lot haha.

I would take a day off im just worried about missing out work from other lessons and having to catch up
I just know i wont be able to get all these long complicate answers all written out and them memorise them separately, do you knao if theres any like decent phrases that i can just memorise a few of them and can use on lots of different questions in the exam??
Reply 9
Original post by JoeFrazier
Maybe try merging some of the questions together and answering + memorising them? I'm guessing your teacher isn't going to ask you every single one of the questions if you've answered some of them in previous questions. You could always just make something up on the spot?

I think thats probably best to just think of jey phrase and vocab for each topic and memorise that and use that for whatever she asks me i guess
Reply 10
Original post by Rehman Mallah
In my school when we did our Spanish Oral's [year 10] if we got a low grade, we had a chance to redo it (different questions obviously) in year 11(same with Spanish writing) before it was sent away. In total, we would do about 4 orals (and writings) or 3 and in the end, our Spanish teacher would send our best 2. You should ask your Spanish teacher if you have something similar and if you do, then I wouldn't worry too much but take use this as a lesson to work harder next time. However, if you don't then it isn't a disaster as it isn't worth a lot of your final grade, just make sure you do well in your remaining orals, writings, and ofc final exams.

In the meantime, just revise so on the day you have something to say and don't end up with a U.
Good luck.

No we dont have this:frown: im just going to try to learn key vocab for each topic and try not to stress
Reply 11
Original post by adamantacademic
Good luck

I would take a day off im just worried about missing out work from other lessons and having to catch up
I just know i wont be able to get all these long complicate answers all written out and them memorise them separately, do you knao if theres any like decent phrases that i can just memorise a few of them and can use on lots of different questions in the exam??

tbh I would say you should prioritise and put your spanish oral first--this is for your actual gcse. You will easily be able to catch up on 1 day of missed work. With a day off and hard work in the evening/morning of other days, you should be fine to write out the answers; you should feel enough urgency to stop procrastinating.

I can't really answer your question for you- you will need to go through the booklet and compare questions to find common answers, but by doing that you would have all the answers half written anyway- I would say that the questions will be too varied to use a lot of common phrases, and I doubt unwarranted repetition will get you good marks. Just do your best to come up with some written thoughts for everything, so that you have at least a vague idea of what to say after a bit of memorisation. Then trust your inner linguist to do the rest.
Reply 13
Original post by gomgossa
tbh I would say you should prioritise and put your spanish oral first--this is for your actual gcse. You will easily be able to catch up on 1 day of missed work. With a day off and hard work in the evening/morning of other days, you should be fine to write out the answers; you should feel enough urgency to stop procrastinating.

I can't really answer your question for you- you will need to go through the booklet and compare questions to find common answers, but by doing that you would have all the answers half written anyway- I would say that the questions will be too varied to use a lot of common phrases, and I doubt unwarranted repetition will get you good marks. Just do your best to come up with some written thoughts for everything, so that you have at least a vague idea of what to say after a bit of memorisation. Then trust your inner linguist to do the rest.

Thanks, im just gonna try to know vocab and good answers i gues lol
Reply 14
Original post by Dikralaghrich
Omg me too! I’m in higher tier but I can barely speak Spanish like I struggle with basic conversations. I’m gonna try to memorize a few sentences and that’s all. I’m just gonna go with the flow.

Yes omg same!! Like i am higher tier and usually in any oral practise i can just sort of wing it and make up a kind of ok answer, but often my problem is i dont know the specific vocab so its always a really generic answer and that wont get me higher marks, which i guess was the point in the booklet so youd be able to answer specifically to the questions, but its too late for that so i gues if i just try super hard with key vocab and phrases i can steer the conversation to talk about the stuff i know ehatever she asks me i guess?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending