The Student Room Group

My friend

(I’m sorry for this being really long but I feel it needs a lot of explaining!) I have known a friend of mine since we were babies. We’ve always been quite close but since high school, I’ve really grown to dislike her. She is really rude to me and my other friends and always expects us to support her and be nice to her in return. Obviously we try to be nice and friendly towards her but it gets no appreciation. She is always on the edge with me and the slightest thing that I do, she gets extremely annoyed. One of the traits about her I hate the most is her hierarchy of friends; the slightest thing I do, she hates me but for some people, they could be extremely rude to her and she’d just laugh it off like it was a joke just because she prefers them to me. One example of this was when me and two of my friends couldn’t come to her house because we were already going out together. She wouldn’t talk to me for 5 days because of it, she hated my other friend for an entire month because of it but she never had any problem at all with the other person we were with all because apparently she’s “the nice one”.
It really upsets me when she’s annoyed at me or my other friends because she can just be so horrible. I can’t actually count the amount of times I’ve cried myself to sleep because of her and I am SO sick of having to worry about her after the littlest thing I do, even if it doesn’t concern her because I’m scared of another argument. I don’t know what to do. I’m so sorry for making this such a long paragraph but I have so much anger that I need to let out about it all!! Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the situation or maybe the best way to just cut her out of my life? I know how awful that sounds but she hates me, I hate her and I can’t stand the way she makes me feel. Thanks for reading this far aha!
Original post by ConnieFox
(I’m sorry for this being really long but I feel it needs a lot of explaining!) I have known a friend of mine since we were babies. We’ve always been quite close but since high school, I’ve really grown to dislike her. She is really rude to me and my other friends and always expects us to support her and be nice to her in return. Obviously we try to be nice and friendly towards her but it gets no appreciation. She is always on the edge with me and the slightest thing that I do, she gets extremely annoyed. One of the traits about her I hate the most is her hierarchy of friends; the slightest thing I do, she hates me but for some people, they could be extremely rude to her and she’d just laugh it off like it was a joke just because she prefers them to me. One example of this was when me and two of my friends couldn’t come to her house because we were already going out together. She wouldn’t talk to me for 5 days because of it, she hated my other friend for an entire month because of it but she never had any problem at all with the other person we were with all because apparently she’s “the nice one”.
It really upsets me when she’s annoyed at me or my other friends because she can just be so horrible. I can’t actually count the amount of times I’ve cried myself to sleep because of her and I am SO sick of having to worry about her after the littlest thing I do, even if it doesn’t concern her because I’m scared of another argument. I don’t know what to do. I’m so sorry for making this such a long paragraph but I have so much anger that I need to let out about it all!! Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the situation or maybe the best way to just cut her out of my life? I know how awful that sounds but she hates me, I hate her and I can’t stand the way she makes me feel. Thanks for reading this far aha!

If I were in your situation, I would firstly try to distance myself from her and see how she reacts. If she ignores you then great (in terms of cutting her out of your life, that is!), if she is rude or questions you then I would be upfront and say that you'll not tolerate her unpleasant behaviour towards you anymore. She isn't a real friend, and knowing someone for a long time doesn't mean you're obligated to appease them.

I hope things work out for you :hugs:
She’s a bully. Is there a teacher you could seek advice from?

As for cutting her out of your life, if you’re worried about her making a fuss, start gradual eg. saying ‘sorry I’m not free’ or take longer to reply to her texts. Eventually, just start ignoring her. Hopefully she’ll get the message.
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
If I were in your situation, I would firstly try to distance myself from her and see how she reacts. If she ignores you then great (in terms of cutting her out of your life, that is!), if she is rude or questions you then I would be upfront and say that you'll not tolerate her unpleasant behaviour towards you anymore. She isn't a real friend, and knowing someone for a long time doesn't mean you're obligated to appease them.

I hope things work out for you :hugs:

Thanks so much! I will definetly try this.
Reply 4
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
She’s a bully. Is there a teacher you could seek advice from?

As for cutting her out of your life, if you’re worried about her making a fuss, start gradual eg. saying ‘sorry I’m not free’ or take longer to reply to her texts. Eventually, just start ignoring her. Hopefully she’ll get the message.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I would tell a teacher but from past experience, I doubt anything really would happen. I’ll be sure to try what you’ve said though, thanks for the response!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending