The Student Room Group

Changing University and Course

I’m studying Business Management at the University of Surrey. I don’t enjoy it at all, I have no motivation to do well. Group assignments are a chore and I can’t bring myself to revise for exams.

Recently I’ve been thinking about changing to study Economics at a London. However, the UCAS application deadline has passed and there’s no saying whether I’ll get accepted.

I’ve thought about whether I really want to go through with this and if it’ll make me happier. I’m quite depressed already being alone and stressed most of the time. I’ve thought about the societies I’ve joined and friends I’ve made, but I don’t have any close friends here. It feels like I want to make others happy and not myself, and that telling my close friends my decision was a mistake.

Since I could apply for 2018 entry I don’t know if I could get in. I could apply for 2019 entry but issues with student finance may arise and that stresses me out. After withdrawing from my course and not being in education for a year, would I be able to reapply for student finance? I’ve heard that I would have to repay the loans but I won’t be working during then.

I should have done this earlier and can’t help but blame myself.
Original post by VerumThrowaway
I’m studying Business Management at the University of Surrey. I don’t enjoy it at all, I have no motivation to do well. Group assignments are a chore and I can’t bring myself to revise for exams.

Recently I’ve been thinking about changing to study Economics at a London. However, the UCAS application deadline has passed and there’s no saying whether I’ll get accepted.

I’ve thought about whether I really want to go through with this and if it’ll make me happier. I’m quite depressed already being alone and stressed most of the time. I’ve thought about the societies I’ve joined and friends I’ve made, but I don’t have any close friends here. It feels like I want to make others happy and not myself, and that telling my close friends my decision was a mistake.

Since I could apply for 2018 entry I don’t know if I could get in. I could apply for 2019 entry but issues with student finance may arise and that stresses me out. After withdrawing from my course and not being in education for a year, would I be able to reapply for student finance? I’ve heard that I would have to repay the loans but I won’t be working during then.

Yes you would be able to apply for finance again. If you drop out now then they d want any overpayment paid back of your maintenance loan but not the rest of it.

So first things first--is there any way to obtain any support for how you're feeling right now? Loneliness and depression can warp your motivation and obscure how you really feel about things that you previously (and probably still do!) love. Try to connect to people you already have a connection with--make calls back home more often, to parents or friends not at Surrey if you don't have anyone you feel you can confide in at Surrey. Check out the wellbeing support at Surrey--do they offer counselling or anything like that? If so, take that support on so you can get back on your feet ASAP.

It's great that you're really thinking about whether the change from Business Management to Economics would suit you better. I would go back to the drawing board on this--what career do you want in future, and does Economics or Business Management support that better? Some questions to ask yourself could be...:
What are the things that you do love on the Business Management course, if any? Are those things also reflected in the Economics degree? Likewise for the things that you hate. How could the Economics degree suit you better, in terms of your personal abilities and skills? What are the things that you dislike about your current uni experience; and how would you be avoiding that by doing the Economics degree in another uni?
Original post by Michelle Bieger
So first things first--is there any way to obtain any support for how you're feeling right now? Loneliness and depression can warp your motivation and obscure how you really feel about things that you previously (and probably still do!) love. Try to connect to people you already have a connection with--make calls back home more often, to parents or friends not at Surrey if you don't have anyone you feel you can confide in at Surrey. Check out the wellbeing support at Surrey--do they offer counselling or anything like that? If so, take that support on so you can get back on your feet ASAP.

It's great that you're really thinking about whether the change from Business Management to Economics would suit you better. I would go back to the drawing board on this--what career do you want in future, and does Economics or Business Management support that better? Some questions to ask yourself could be...:
What are the things that you do love on the Business Management course, if any? Are those things also reflected in the Economics degree? Likewise for the things that you hate. How could the Economics degree suit you better, in terms of your personal abilities and skills? What are the things that you dislike about your current uni experience; and how would you be avoiding that by doing the Economics degree in another uni?

I’ve talked to a mental health nurse and made a doctor’s appointment to talk about how I’m feeling.

With Business I just don’t enjoy any of the modules. The only one I did enjoy was an Economics and Business sustainability based one. The modules almost always consist of group work and people can’t hold their own weight, which is very annoying. I know some things about Economics which I find interesting so I am really leaning to learning it.
Yeah, I do think it’ll be easier because it’s a subject I’d enjoy. My initial plan was to study Econ but I didn’t because I thought if I didn’t study it at A-Levels it wouldn’t be for me, I was wrong. And I’m pretty sure I won’t flip burgers at McDonalds given the oportunities I’ve taken up.

Business Management at Surrey - do you have the A levels to get into an Economics course in London?
Reply 6
With student finance, you're eligible for funding for the new course length plus one year, minus any years of previous study. So if you take one year at Surrey and then change to any other uni (whether London or not) you'll be eligible for full funding for the whole of the new course, because you have a spare "gift year" to cover it.

If you decide to study another year at Surrey and then change elsewhere to complete the full degree, you wouldn't have enough funding.
If you study one year at Surrey then change to another degree, but then change your mind again and want to restart, you wouldn't have enough funding.

Taking a gap year doesn't affect your eligibility. You are far better off taking a year out to improve your mental health and decide what you want to do. If you change to a London uni and it turns out to be a wrong decision, you wouldn't then be able to change your mind again and restart unless you can fund it yourself. So don't rush into anything.
Original post by threeportdrift
Business Management at Surrey - do you have the A levels to get into an Economics course in London?

I didn’t do A-Levels, I did the IBCP so I have quivalent grades. So yeah, I do.
Reply 8
I didn’t do A-Levels, I did the IBCP so I have quivalent grades. So yeah, I do.

Just checking... are you a Home/EU student?

And have you checked your IBCP is acceptable to your intended university? Specifically for Economics.

The list seems fairly limited.
https://www.acs-schools.com/University-Recognition-egham
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Just checking... are you a Home/EU student?

And have you checked your IBCP is acceptable to your intended university?

The list seems fairly limited.
https://www.acs-schools.com/University-Recognition-egham

I am a Home student I think, I live in the UK. I’ve checked the entry requirements for the Universities I’ve applied to and although they don’t accept IBCP per se, they do accept BTEC Extended Diploma which I have achieved D*D*D* with. I’ve received an unconditional offer from City, University of London and Birkbeck.
Reply 10
I am a Home student I think, I live in the UK. I’ve checked the entry requirements for the Universities I’ve applied to and although they don’t accept IBCP per se, they do accept BTEC Extended Diploma which I have achieved D*D*D* with. I’ve received an unconditional offer from City, University of London and Birkbeck.

Ok cool. So you have a BTEC *and* IBCP? Or they are considering your IBCP to be equivalent to a BTEC...

If you already hold offers why are you asking about application deadlines? Also the deadline is just for "equal consideration", if a course still has places it will remain open and can appear in Extra, and/or later in Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Ok cool. So you have a BTEC *and* IBCP? Or they are considering your IBCP to be equivalent to a BTEC...

If you already hold offers why are you asking about application deadlines? Also the deadline is just for "equal consideration", if a course still has places it will remain open and can appear in Extra, and/or later in Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My BTEC is part of the IBCP.

This thread was started 2 months ago, I believe. Which was when I was unsure of whether it was the right decision for me and prior to me applying through UCAS.
Reply 12
My BTEC is part of the IBCP.

This thread was started 2 months ago, I believe. Which was when I was unsure of whether it was the right decision for me and prior to me applying through UCAS.

Good good. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show