The Student Room Group

Clubbing and nightlife

So I’ve managed to get into Oxford University, but I’m worried the nightlife scene doesn’t cater to me -I listen to Rnb, Hiphop, Grime and old school 90s tunes. However, I think that the nightlife music scene is simply EDM, Punk, Rock etc, music that I just don’t gel with. Obviously, I’m aware that you don’t go to Univeristy to just Club, but it is fun to also have a good time with your student life cycle. Can anyone help me out? Maybe I’m wrong and there are clubs that actually cater to my music taste...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unknownsource
So I’ve managed to get into Oxford University, but I’m worried the nightlife scene doesn’t cater to me -I listen to Rnb, Hiphop, Grime and old school 90s tunes. However, I think that the nightlife music scene is simply EDM, Punk, Rock etc, music that I just don’t gel with. Obviously, I’m aware that you don’t go to Univeristy to just Club, but it is fun to also have a good time with your student life cycle. Can anyone help me out? Maybe I’m wrong and there are clubs that actually cater to my music taste...

Maybe get in touch with the SU?
Reply 2
Your music tastes will change and evolve at uni... you can also travel to other cities. However, I think it is an important thing to consider. I don't know much about Oxford culture in relation to nightlife but if it doesn't align with your own tastes and ideas of fun then you should look at other cities that do. You need a good balance between work and play. As much as a degree from Oxford is amazing, you also have to enjoy your time there to succeed and have friends that are similar to you. Otherwise you won't do well in your studies and honestly your memories from uni will just suck. Oxford would be way too boring for me and I think I would struggle to find people who enjoy my kind of fun.
if you enjoy pop music you can get a Walkman or whatever they have nowadays to listen to your favourite tunes.

I were you I would never give up an opportunity to go to Oxford University just because there is the possibility of a bad nightlife. I'm sorry but the reality is that a degree from Oxford will serve you more in life than going to another school to just to enjoy the nightlife for a few months.
I think you'll find the average Oxford student has wider musical tastes than you give them credit for, including everything from Purcell through Bach to Debussy. I even heard someone playing a Prokofiev Toccata once. Quite avant garde!
Reply 6
Go clubbing in London if you need to https://www.oxfordtube.com/tubetimes.aspx. Plenty of people do pop to London from Oxford - ok maybe not every night but if you really need to go somewhere with more clubs at some point during term the option is there.

Or stand as social sec for your JCR and you'll probably be in charge of the music at your college bops.
Reply 7

Stormzy at Oxford...

[video="youtube;OjoEmEUV29A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=OjoEmEUV29A[/video]
Reply 8
The Bullingdon has some good events. Mix of dnb, jungle, techno. Some sick djs tbh (mall grab, joy orb, objekt). There's also The Cellar for your dnb, bassline, grime. Hip hop/R&B/90s/garage you'll find in lots of clubs.
Reply 9
Original post by blawan
The Bullingdon has some good events. Mix of dnb, jungle, techno. Some sick djs tbh (mall grab, joy orb, objekt). There's also The Cellar for your dnb, bassline, grime. Hip hop/R&B/90s/garage you'll find in lots of clubs.

The Bullingdon has changed since Dave's time:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
if you enjoy pop music you can get a Walkman or whatever they have nowadays to listen to your favourite tunes.

:laugh:
Come on, you'll love the idea that you're into some kind of niche music that no one else appreciates.
I think you're probably underestimating the number of Oxford students who are into the same music as you, there are definitely more RnB and grime nights than there are punk or rock... Lots of students go to events at the Bullingdon (only Cowley Road, not the veuve clicquot and nepotism bullingdon) and Cellar
Clubs are trash anyway man it's okay
Original post by the bear

A Walkman :laugh:
I had no idea Oxford even had a club scene. I always thought they listened to Beethoven's symphony no.9 and drank a tall glass of sparkling champagne.

But maybe I was wrong.:dontknow:
Original post by Kalaygalay5
I were you I would never give up an opportunity to go to Oxford University just because there is the possibility of a bad nightlife. I'm sorry but the reality is that a degree from Oxford will serve you more in life than going to another school to just to enjoy the nightlife for a few months.

No I’ve accepted it, I would never do such a thing, however I’m just worried that the scene won’t necessarily vibe well with what I’m into
Original post by alicecrocker
I think you're probably underestimating the number of Oxford students who are into the same music as you, there are definitely more RnB and grime nights than there are punk or rock... Lots of students go to events at the Bullingdon (only Cowley Road, not the veuve clicquot and nepotism bullingdon) and Cellar

That’s good to know that there are nights catered more towards my interests; there is always that underlying fear that you will not fit into the Oxbridge habitus...
For the people saying that a degree from Oxford very much outweighs the fun you have when you're at Uni.. I think you're wrong.

Through various talks with different employers & recruiters (including my own family members and University staff), they don't really care what Uni you go to. The only real difference is between Russell Group Unis and non-Russell group Unis. The years you're at Uni for can honestly be the best years of your entire life, I don't think getting some "prestigious" degree outweighs the potential bond-making, character building experience University could turn out to be for you.

Yes course's differ between Oxford and those of other top Uni's, but the content is no harder (across the whole course) and you really don't get an edge over anyone else just because you went to Oxbridge. What future employers look for is someone who obviously has the skills and knowledge they are after, but also someone who is outgoing and gels well with anyone they potentially will have to work with, and honestly at Uni, the way you learn those social skills is by going out and meeting people. If you're stuck in a boring city you could be shooting yourself in the foot, as you won't be getting these personable skills as much as people who are in places where they can be much easier to develop, and yet someone from a "worse uni" comes out with exactly the same qualifications as you do.

That's how I see it anyway, congratulations on your offer though! I visited the Uni a few times and it definitely is visually stunning, but I found it just wasn't right for me personally so I didn't let it take up a space of my UCAS application. Good luck in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending