The Student Room Group

Is 4'11 (149cm) too short for a 19 year old guy?

Yo!
I'm a 4'11 19 year old. I was always the shortest in school and im the shortest out of 10 on my apprenticeship. Next year I was thinking of going uni instead but I'm not sure. I'm worried people will make fun of me for my height.
Am I too short? How do I stop others making fun of my height, particularly around girls who are like 5'6 or more?
I'm school there was a 6'8 guy and whenever I was near him I felt so bad. He made me feel so so small.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah that's really short.

Dress really garish and have charisma and you can still be the epicentre of attention
Reply 2
Original post by Hirsty97
Yeah that's really short.

Dress really garish and have charisma and you can still be the epicentre of attention

I know I'm short. Clothes never fit me either so have to dress like a kid. Shortest guy you've ever seen?
I guess it’s shorter than average height but if I saw a guy that height while I was out I don’t think it would even cross my mind
Original post by Anonymous
I know I'm short. Clothes never fit me either so have to dress like a kid. Shortest guy you've ever seen?

Possibly. Good news is you can get designer clothes a lot cheaper if you shop in the kids section. Not gonna sugarcoat it is going to be hard on some aspects of your life because lots of people are superficial and if you see a 4'11 guy it's going to be pretty shocking. Guys whine about being short are usually 5'6-9 which is just low average. But 4'11 is definitely short for a guy. Look at Kevin Hart and Rey Mysterio for inspiration they are about 5'2 At least.
i dont think people would make fun of you.
no offence but obviously its unusual, which may result in some looks, but after as while, people would just overlook it and not care any more ^^
no need to put off education :smile:
You are definitely extremely short and people will inevitably make jokes about that. But that doesn't mean you can't improve yourself and make others respect you in other ways
Reply 7
Original post by sunflower09
I guess it’s shorter than average height but if I saw a guy that height while I was out I don’t think it would even cross my mind

It's a foot shorter than average 😂. I've never seen a guy my height
Reply 8
Yeah man sorry to say but 4’11 is quite short for a guy, what is the height of your family members? , if they arent that short then you might have some hormonal problems that might be suppressing growth. Have you expressed your concerns to your GP or anything?
Reply 9
Possibly. Good news is you can get designer clothes a lot cheaper if you shop in the kids section. Not gonna sugarcoat it is going to be hard on some aspects of your life because lots of people are superficial and if you see a 4'11 guy it's going to be pretty shocking. Guys whine about being short are usually 5'6-9 which is just low average. But 4'11 is definitely short for a guy. Look at Kevin Hart and Rey Mysterio for inspiration they are about 5'2 At least.

Still a lot taller than me 😂
I have a 5'5-5'6 teacher who makes fun of his own height and isn't really bothered if anyone else does. He's a funny and nice guy so that's probably why he has a pretty wife. You could do the same and see if it works for you.
Original post by Kingt4h1r
i dont think people would make fun of you.
no offence but obviously its unusual, which may result in some looks, but after as while, people would just overlook it and not care any more ^^
no need to put off education :smile:

Many I guess. It's just hard having giant 5'5 girls come to me for a photo.

Original post by TheFarmerLad
You are definitely extremely short and people will inevitably make jokes about that. But that doesn't mean you can't improve yourself and make others respect you in other ways

MMayb. No idea how though, they just see me as a toy
Don't worry about your height. I believe height is socially desirable and not biologically therefore, people can easily overlook it if you have other good social traits such as charisma. Also the fact that clothes don't fit is kind of an advantage because you can get them tailored to fit perfectly whilst others wear generically made clothes so you will look better.
It's a foot shorter than average 😂. I've never seen a guy my height

Fair enough 😂 still don’t think I’d really notice it
Original post by No$feratu
Yeah man sorry to say but 4’11 is quite short for a guy, what is the height of your family members? , if they arent that short then you might have some hormonal problems that might be suppressing growth. Have you expressed your concerns to your GP or anything?

Yeah but I was never short enough for hormones. My mums 5'2, dad's 5'10 and 14 year old sister is 5'2 and growing

Original post by JDieMstr
I have a 5'5-5'6 teacher who makes fun of his own height and isn't really bothered if anyone else does. He's a funny and nice guy so that's probably why he has a pretty wife. You could do the same and see if it works for you.

I'm half a foot min shorter though!
Original post by muzzy2017
Don't worry about your height. I believe height is socially desirable and not biologically therefore, people can easily overlook it if you have other good social traits such as charisma. Also the fact that clothes don't fit is kind of an advantage because you can get them tailored to fit perfectly whilst others wear generically made clothes so you will look better.

I'm poor though so just go for kids clothes.

Original post by sunflower09
Fair enough 😂 still don’t think I’d really notice it

Not what strangers in the street say!
Original post by muzzy2017

Also, whilst clothes may look better, they're a foot taller so that trumps it

What a terrible choice of words. Firstly being 4’11 isn’t ‘pretty shocking’. Yes it’s below average but this isn’t dwarfism, OP hasnt got a condition. People are superficial, but they’re too consumed in themselves to care about other people. They aren’t going around putting other people down, and if you think they are that is a judgement of yourself rather than other people.

Secondly, the average height of a male in the UK is 5’8. To make out that people ‘whine’ about being normal again will only make the OP feel bad.

OP, please ignore the almost back handed and inaccurate comments from this person. 4’11 is short but it is far from abnormal. Ultimately, you should be judged on your character and you should judge others on your character. I wouldn’t worry about people teasing you at university, it is a very laid back social environment nothing like the almost competitive social environment of school! Ignore the idiot telling you to buy child’s designer clothes that’s another piece of laughable advice. Show others your best and warmest side, and they’ll do the same to you. Those that don’t are not worth your time and they’re the ones you want to avoid.
Original post by TheFarmerLad

No they won’t? You have damaged view of the world.

MMayb. No idea how though, they just see me as a toy

At first they will, but if you have thick skin and develop a solid attitude these can help overcome your physical misfortune. Knew a few short guys (like 5'3'') and of course they received their fair share of chat about their height(s), but they were also extremely witty and smart, so could easily shutdown any meathead in conversation

Latest

Trending

Trending