The Student Room Group

Am I making a mistake by quitting?

Thank you for all your help guys, I have sorted everything out. Many thanks once again!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I can,t give advice but i will pray for you if that helps
Reply 2
Original post by Zaspo
I can,t give advice but i will pray for you if that helps

Honestly, I feel as if I should be doing this myself since I haven't done so in years. My lack of faith is probably one of the reasons why I feel crap. Appreciate your prayers my friend, thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by AceBoogie
Honestly, I feel as if I should be doing this myself since I haven't done so in years. My lack of faith is probably one of the reasons why I feel crap. Appreciate your prayers my friend, thank you.

Your welcome any day man hope everything goes well for you

I'd say

Stop asking about the training - it's clear if what you've said is accurate, that you won't get a decent training package there.

However, don't quit until you have something to go to, because balls-ache that it may be, it is giving you very good experience if you spin it in a positive light, which will make up for the weak A levels etc. Grinding, chaotic work like this, especially if you are having to lead things, often provides the most positive CV material.

Keep working on the applications, trying to improve your performance at interview etc. Bearing in mind as you add to your CV with tasks you do in the current role, you are strengthening you applications.

Reply 5
Hi guys

I am in a bit of predicament at the moment and I would really like some advice from those who are on a training contract on ACA/ACCA/CIMA at an accountancy practice or at a firm.

Ace

What would you be studying on the training contract? How many exemptions would you have? What part of the country are you in?
Yeah, no dude, it's time to leave. An unqualified 'trainee' (I put trainee in inverted commas because you haven't actually done any training lol) should not be the most senior staff member.

Let me tell you what your boss will do. Your boss is going to drag out your professional qualification and use it to justify keeping you on junior pay at senior responsibility. You are going to be run ragged as senior after senior leaves. I mean, you did accounting as did I. Surely seniors leaving and not being replaced in a small firm highlights a going concern issue too? Is the firm in any trouble at all or...? Either way man, I assume you're doing ACA/ACCA. ACA is known to be the hardest. If PwC have shortlisted you and not got back to you in 3 months it's not unreasonable to assume either A) Every graduate they offered a position to has accepted and you are on a wait list or B) They just cba to get back to you

You won't be homeless. How many UCAS points do you have? A Levels in many schemes don't matter. UCAS matters in B4 obvs, but in smaller firms it does not. Note, smaller firms. So, GT, BDO etc. Have you applied there? I understand what you mean about video interviews, they are the worst stage by far. Speaking into a little black dot on top of your laptop and talking corporate crap about values is such nonsense honestly. But I'm afraid it has to be done. Unfortunately feedback is rarely provided, so your continuation to an assessment centre is, at least on your side, luck.

Either way, you should leave. Seniors leaving should have already set the alarm bells ringing and you should already have put plans into motion.
Reply 7
I appreciate all your comments and responses. I have read through them, and I am trying my hardest to get out at the moment. Applying to many graduate schemes at the moment but I keep failing at the video interviews. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
What would you be studying on the training contract? How many exemptions would you have? What part of the country are you in?

I will be studying ACA. I will only get 5 exemptions from my course meaning 10 exams to do. I am from London and work in London.
Reply 9
Original post by somemightsay888
Yeah, no dude, it's time to leave. An unqualified 'trainee' (I put trainee in inverted commas because you haven't actually done any training lol) should not be the most senior staff member.

Let me tell you what your boss will do. Your boss is going to drag out your professional qualification and use it to justify keeping you on junior pay at senior responsibility. You are going to be run ragged as senior after senior leaves. I mean, you did accounting as did I. Surely seniors leaving and not being replaced in a small firm highlights a going concern issue too? Is the firm in any trouble at all or...? Either way man, I assume you're doing ACA/ACCA. ACA is known to be the hardest. If PwC have shortlisted you and not got back to you in 3 months it's not unreasonable to assume either A) Every graduate they offered a position to has accepted and you are on a wait list or B) They just cba to get back to you

You won't be homeless. How many UCAS points do you have? A Levels in many schemes don't matter. UCAS matters in B4 obvs, but in smaller firms it does not. Note, smaller firms. So, GT, BDO etc. Have you applied there? I understand what you mean about video interviews, they are the worst stage by far. Speaking into a little black dot on top of your laptop and talking corporate crap about values is such nonsense honestly. But I'm afraid it has to be done. Unfortunately feedback is rarely provided, so your continuation to an assessment centre is, at least on your side, luck.

Either way, you should leave. Seniors leaving should have already set the alarm bells ringing and you should already have put plans into motion.

I have only got around 240 UCAS points. I got a C, C and E which I think is only like 200 pts and then the other 40 from AS. To this day I regret not doing a BTEC. The past haunts me.

I have been rejected by pretty much all of the smaller ones, BDO and GT recently. Not sure if it is purely because of my application or my grades. BDO called me to ask if I have started my ACA, I said no. Then they just sent me a generic rejection.
I will be studying ACA. I will only get 5 exemptions from my course meaning 10 exams to do. I am from London and work in London.

Right. Just to check my reading is correct:

You have a first in Accounting and Finance, a year plus experience including time as an intern, earn £25k but this will drop if you take a training contract as you lose money for study days. The experience is probably fine for a first position (and you must be doing something right if they are keen to hang onto you). London based.

Are you hooked on studying ACA as opposed to something else? I think that limits the number of jobs you can apply for (any issues with A level points?). I'm sure you can get better at video interviews with some practice. It certainly harder when you have to discuss what you are doing in a job you are not enjoying.

I'd be concerned about signing a training contract with the firm you are with now - it might improve but it seems like the owner is not fully committed and staff who know more about it are jumping ship. Maybe one of them could help you in a new firm?

I wouldn't worry too much about the salary. You can probably get the same looking for other jobs in London at the moment - certainly in industry so long as you come across ok in interviews.

I have been experiencing anxiety, panic attacks and have been down for the past couple of months and I just don't know if what I am doing is a mistake.

Just noticed this - you don't need to be suffering anxiety and panic attacks over this. You are not in a bad situation - a good degree and some experience. Just don't sign a training contract which may stop you leaving - just say you want a year without studying if asked, or that you want to see how you get on with new staff who can support your development.
Hi, some good advice above!

I'm an ACA graduate myself, who struggled through my final exams and left PwC the moment my 3yr training contract was up.

It seems to me that your big stumbling block is the video interview. If you are getting to aptitude test and video interview stages then it's obvs the employers are not rejecting you because of your A-Levels. Why don't you go to work improving your video interview skills? Some ways to do this would be:

- Get your family/friend to conduct mock interviews with you simulating the same questions/atmosphere while videoing you.
Then watch yourself on camera, get feedback from 3-5 people on what you could do better and repeat the process
'Confidence is a tangible thing, it comes from practice and repetition' Kobe Bryant
- Google 'How to improve video interview skills' there must be loads of tips and advice on the internet/youtube?
- Get the name of a person who works for a big firm Graduate Programme on Linkedin and reach out to them explaining that you really want to work for their firm, and are trying to improve your video interview skills, and ask them what they typically look for?
- Ask your friends who work for those firms, ask how they did theirs? what tips do they have? can you practise with them?

If the firm is how you say it is, I'd be wary of locking yourself into a 3yr contract with them, as you will have little leverage once you do that. However, I'd try and stay in your job until you have a new one, as it becomes a lot tougher to get a job when you are out of work.

Have you tried all the medium and smaller sized firms? There are some really good ones, that wouldn't do video interviews! :smile: I'd be very surprised that they wouldn't be jumping at at a person with a 1st and some relevant work experience in what sounds like a tough firm.

I feel your pain, as I hated my 3yr training contract with a passion, but do persevere, as once you get that ACA qualification, it opens up so many doors and puts your CV ahead of lots of your peers, so don't give up! Just try and be a bit more creative to try and get a better firm! Also, try not to worry, it sounds like you are getting good experience where you are, you just need a tiny tiny break to get into a better firm and all this will fade into the past very quickly!

stick with it, just try and get a better firm!

The very best of luck! Am sure you will get sorted soon :smile:
Paul
Reply 13
Original post by ajj2000
Right. Just to check my reading is correct:

You have a first in Accounting and Finance, a year plus experience including time as an intern, earn £25k but this will drop if you take a training contract as you lose money for study days. The experience is probably fine for a first position (and you must be doing something right if they are keen to hang onto you). London based.

Are you hooked on studying ACA as opposed to something else? I think that limits the number of jobs you can apply for (any issues with A level points?). I'm sure you can get better at video interviews with some practice. It certainly harder when you have to discuss what you are doing in a job you are not enjoying.

I'd be concerned about signing a training contract with the firm you are with now - it might improve but it seems like the owner is not fully committed and staff who know more about it are jumping ship. Maybe one of them could help you in a new firm?

I wouldn't worry too much about the salary. You can probably get the same looking for other jobs in London at the moment - certainly in industry so long as you come across ok in interviews.

I appreciate your comments and thank you for taking time in reading my post! In relation to the first query, no- I am open to other qualifications but limited to CIMA, ACCA or ACA at the moment. The second- my colleagues that have left/are leaving are moving out of London completely and into places near their home etc.

At the moment I am starting to dislike accountancy practice but perhaps it may be because I am stuck in a small one and not really sure how the bigger ones are but it is a risk I will have to take.

Original post by ajj2000
Just noticed this - you don't need to be suffering anxiety and panic attacks over this. You are not in a bad situation - a good degree and some experience. Just don't sign a training contract which may stop you leaving - just say you want a year without studying if asked, or that you want to see how you get on with new staff who can support your development.

Thank you for this. You are right! and I can definitely use some of these reasons.

Original post by paulkevinmurphy
Hi, some good advice above!

I'm an ACA graduate myself, who struggled through my final exams and left PwC the moment my 3yr training contract was up.

It seems to me that your big stumbling block is the video interview. If you are getting to aptitude test and video interview stages then it's obvs the employers are not rejecting you because of your A-Levels. Why don't you go to work improving your video interview skills? Some ways to do this would be:

- Get your family/friend to conduct mock interviews with you simulating the same questions/atmosphere while videoing you.
Then watch yourself on camera, get feedback from 3-5 people on what you could do better and repeat the process
'Confidence is a tangible thing, it comes from practice and repetition' Kobe Bryant
- Google 'How to improve video interview skills' there must be loads of tips and advice on the internet/youtube?
- Get the name of a person who works for a big firm Graduate Programme on Linkedin and reach out to them explaining that you really want to work for their firm, and are trying to improve your video interview skills, and ask them what they typically look for?
- Ask your friends who work for those firms, ask how they did theirs? what tips do they have? can you practise with them?

If the firm is how you say it is, I'd be wary of locking yourself into a 3yr contract with them, as you will have little leverage once you do that. However, I'd try and stay in your job until you have a new one, as it becomes a lot tougher to get a job when you are out of work.

Have you tried all the medium and smaller sized firms? There are some really good ones, that wouldn't do video interviews! :smile: I'd be very surprised that they wouldn't be jumping at at a person with a 1st and some relevant work experience in what sounds like a tough firm.

I feel your pain, as I hated my 3yr training contract with a passion, but do persevere, as once you get that ACA qualification, it opens up so many doors and puts your CV ahead of lots of your peers, so don't give up! Just try and be a bit more creative to try and get a better firm! Also, try not to worry, it sounds like you are getting good experience where you are, you just need a tiny tiny break to get into a better firm and all this will fade into the past very quickly!

stick with it, just try and get a better firm!

The very best of luck! Am sure you will get sorted soon :smile:
Paul

Thank you very much for your advice. You are right, I will need to work towards improving my video interview skills.

How was working at PWC? How was the training? What role did you do? How has working there improved your job opportunities?! I have so many questions. I would really love to get into one of the Big 4's because of the boost it will give to my CV. I have heard mixed opinions about the work load and training but I am willing to take that challenge if I get into a big firm.

I have been constantly applying for jobs but it really does get quite demotivating when you are constantly being rejected. I hope I do get a good graduate scheme in a decent company.

I am sort of playing with my own head at the moment. The confusion, the indecisiveness, self doubt. It's scary. I am sort of in a tricky position with starting the course with them at the moment but I guess I will have to speak to my employer and tell him I can't start it here. But at the same time I'm thinking wait... am I throwing a good opportunity away because I am being negative? But then I think vice versa and so on. To add to that, I don't want to be that guy who ends up wasting years and years not starting a qualification and regret it, if you know what I mean?
(edited 5 years ago)

At the moment I am starting to dislike accountancy practice but perhaps it may be because I am stuck in a small one and not really sure how the bigger ones are but it is a risk I will have to take.

I'm big 4 qualified but have come across some of the smaller firms (say up to 20 people in an office). Can't say it would suit me at all but clearly a lot of people like it. A huge benefit of London is that there are a lot of firms to apply for. I'd guess around 50 with large enough offices to have some fun and always have some colleagues you enjoy going for a beer with.

The Big 4 can be very tough places to work but have great training, exam support and career paths outside the profession. I'd have a serious look at studying ACCA if you find yourself missing out on formal grad schemes (how many exemptions would you have and which papers?).

The benefits are that you can self study which leaves you much more free to change employers. With ACA you can be pretty stuck if you don't like what you are doing - at least the big firms pay well but in smaller ones it can be a bit of a trap.

I just looked at reed.co.uk and there are load of jobs out there for you! There is a shortage of candidates at the moment in commerce/ industry so you have a chance to think about what you want to do. Far worse things than taking a 6 month/ one year contract to learn more and find out what suits.

I have some knowledge of industry career paths in London and routes different people have taken if you need any advice.
Reply 15
Hi guys

I just wanted to thank all of you for your comments. I gave in my notice at work about 3 weeks ago. I also had a partner interview with PwC recently (I was surprised when they called me!) who have offered me the job which I am really pleased about! The salary I was offered was pretty disappointing though and a lot less than what I am getting at the moment. I am doing the Corporate Tax grad scheme (ACA qualification starts a year later) in Birmingham. I have been offered 22k starting. Nevertheless I think I will accept and begin a new chapter. Shocked at how low the salary is, I thought regional starting salaries for PwC was around 25k.
Hi guys

I just wanted to thank all of you for your comments. I gave in my notice at work about 3 weeks ago. I also had a partner interview with PwC recently (I was surprised when they called me!) who have offered me the job which I am really pleased about! The salary I was offered was pretty disappointing though and a lot less than what I am getting at the moment. I am doing the Corporate Tax grad scheme (ACA qualification starts a year later) in Birmingham. I have been offered 22k starting. Nevertheless I think I will accept and begin a new chapter. Shocked at how low the salary is, I thought regional starting salaries for PwC was around 25k.

That's great news - many congratulations! I think this proves that you are pretty employable so can be positive in making choices. Oh, and the cost of living in Birmingham is pretty reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending