The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for accounting without A-level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Physics? Accounting is pretty math based, and many accounting degrees require a level maths or further maths.
Original post by Happy baby00

ideal combination: maths,econ,any other traditional subject
but without maths u should do any 3 from the following: econ, business, chem, bio, phsyics, accounts, computer science, geography, history, politics.
Original post by Hello1236969
ideal combination: maths,econ,any other traditional subject
but without maths u should do any 3 from the following: econ, business, chem, bio, phsyics, accounts, computer science, geography, history, politics.

Can you mix business and economics or would that put me at a disadvantage?
Can you mix business and economics or would that put me at a disadvantage?

i would say try not to. Especially if your targeting a top uni like LSE or warwick. But then again they want maths so your probably aiming a little lower.
Original post by Hello1236969
i would say try not to. Especially if your targeting a top uni like LSE or warwick. But then again they want maths so your probably aiming a little lower.

I'm not. I'm trying to get an accounting apprenticeship.
well im hopefully going to do accounting and finance at uni and im doing business studies, psychology and english lit/lang at alevel

its recommended to take business because it covers some accounting

however, i've heard that you shouldnt take accounting at alevel because it'll confuse you when you do it a degree level.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by soIiIoquy
well im hopefully going to do accounting and finance at uni and im doing business studies, psychology and english lit/lang at alevel

its recommended to take business because it covers some accounting

however, i've heard that you shouldnt take accounting at alevel because it'll confuse you when you do it a degree level.

Good luck and what uni are you aiming for?

Have you considered an accounting degree apprenticeship? There's a lot of opportunities with the big four companies (EY, Deloitte, PwC and KPMG).

An accounting apprenticeship, especially a degree one will certainly give you a head start in the financial sector.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Have you considered an accounting degree apprenticeship? There's a lot of opportunities with the big four companies (EY, Deloitte, PwC and KPMG).

An accounting apprenticeship, especially a degree one will certainly give you a head start in the financial sector.

I'm thinking of applying in the future but I think I am at a severe disadvantage without A-level maths.
I'm thinking of applying in the future but I think I am at a severe disadvantage without A-level maths.

that's the issue. most (if not all) require alevel maths. but the programmes are exceptional. you get a degree, get paid, get work experience in one of the biggest companies in the field and are pretty much guaranteed a job afterwards (assuming you don't **** up and aren't lazy).

think about it.
that's the issue. most (if not all) require alevel maths. but the programmes are exceptional. you get a degree, get paid, get work experience in one of the biggest companies in the field and are pretty much guaranteed a job afterwards (assuming you don't **** up and aren't lazy).

think about it.

That's what I was talking about.
That's what I was talking about.

why don't you want to do alevel maths?
why don't you want to do alevel maths?

Been entered for foundation. So I can't
Been entered for foundation. So I can't

have you asked if you could take higher at any point or even take higher at college? it's worth considering.
have you asked if you could take higher at any point or even take higher at college? it's worth considering.

I'm willing to consider that. Do you have to pay in college even if you pass? Can you apply for school leavers program at age 19?
I'm willing to consider that. Do you have to pay in college even if you pass? Can you apply for school leavers program at age 19?

colleges make people resit if they didn't pass. this is something you'll have to talk to your college about.

my assumption is that regardless of whether you pass or not, you'll have to pay to sit the higher paper. why? because colleges make you resit the foundation paper if you fail, not the higher paper. if you pass, then college doesn't make you resit maths at all so you'll need to enter privately if you want to sit the higher and you'll probably have to pay for it (I'm not sure about that which is why you need to ask).
Reply 17
Accounting, Economics, Business, IT, Computing

Or you could take A level Use of Mathematics or A level Statistics if you didn't want to do straight Maths
If u wanna do accounting, its a good choice that u looked at the apprenticeships cos they are the best ways to get the ACA qualification and get u a long term career. However, these are extremely competitive and u would need good grades at A-level; minimum AAA realistically. Also u would need to be confident, show u can work well in teams and communicate as they are important factors of the assessment centres. You will need to be confident in interviews. Basically u have to excel in every stage. The quality of applicants are fairly decent and big 4 take few apprentices cos preferably they rather take graduates because of the skills and level of maturity they have developed. Thats another thing, you need to show your mature and can get on well with colleagues in a professional manner
I'm not. I'm trying to get an accounting apprenticeship.

Why dont you do an apprenticeship then? Why do you need a-levels?

Quick Reply

Latest