81.PNG
So for this question I did:
-2x^2 +x +3≥ 0
2x^2 -x-3≤ 0
(2x-3)(x+1)≤ 0

Then I got stuck on drawing the graph.
This is what is shown in the mark scheme:

However why can't the graph be:

Well it can't be like that because it's the reflected graph from the one asked by the question! They're not the same, they only share the same roots.

Not like it matters anyway, it's all just for the purposes of working out the same region.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sienna2266
Hi guys,
81.PNG
-2x^2 +x +3≥ 0
2x^2 -x-3≤ 0
(2x-3)(x+1)≤ 0

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

both graphs are fine... in the top graph you are looking for values of x where the curve lies above ( or on ) the x axis

in the lower graph you are looking for values of x where the curve lies below ( or on ) the x axis
Original post by the bear
both graphs are fine... in the top graph you are looking for values of x where the curve lies above ( or on ) the x axis

in the lower graph you are looking for values of x where the curve lies below ( or on ) the x axis

I would disagree, the equation given in the question is a negative quadratic and therefore the graph you sketch should portray this.
Original post by u12davisd
I would disagree, the equation given in the question is a negative quadratic and therefore the graph you sketch should portray this.

it is not an equation
Original post by u12davisd

But you don't have to draw the negative quadratic graph. The OP has clearly taken all terms on the other side of the inequality and correctly drawn the corresponding graph. The problem can be solved either way...
It doesn't specify you have to draw a specific quadratic graph- "use a sketch of appropriate quadratic graphs..."
Hi guys,
81.PNG
-2x^2 +x +3≥ 0
2x^2 -x-3≤ 0
(2x-3)(x+1)≤ 0

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

The roots remain the same because you just changed signs. However by changing signs you change the shape of the graph, you drew -f(x) rather than f(x). Hope that made sense. I tend to make that mistake too.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
But you don't have to draw the negative quadratic graph. The OP has clearly taken all terms on the other side of the inequality and correctly drawn the corresponding graph. The problem can be solved either way...
It doesn't specify you have to draw a specific quadratic graph- "use a sketch of appropriate quadratic graphs..."

Fair enough, I would just recommend sketching the graph that is implied by the question as it is better practice for questions which involve having to get the sign correct or marks are lost. In this situation however this is not as important, obviously.
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
Well it can't be like that because it's the reflected graph from the one asked by the question! They're not the same, they only share the same roots.
Not like it matters anyway, it's all just for the purposes of working out the same region.

Ahh thanks so much for replying :smile: So I see what you mean there. Just to make sense of this. Here is the thread for a similar question that you helped me with ages ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5154306&page=2
For this particular question(in the link above):
We or I :biggrin:came to the conclusion that the graph can be sketched in 2 ways:
First way:
87.PNG
Attachment not found

However, now coming back to this, I think the second graph is wrong because I did x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6 --> -x^2 -x +2<0 --> x^2 +x -2>0 --> (x-1)(x+2)>0
Clearly, the graph has a maximum point as it is -x^2 -x +2<0.

Could you please let me know your thoughts?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Hey guys, thanks for your replies!
Here is a very similar question which is rather confusing:
90.PNG
I've outlined my confusion in my reply to RDKGames.. Could someone please help with this one too?
So basically I understand they're asking you to "sketch" to just find out the solutions to the question but what I am specifically wondering about is the correct sketch of the graph. This one above is rather confusing
Please check my post above if possible- it would be much appreciated:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys, thanks for your replies!
Here is a very similar question which is rather confusing:
90.PNG
I've outlined my confusion in my reply to RDKGames.. Could someone please help with this one too?
So basically I understand they're asking you to "sketch" to just find out the solutions to the question but what I am specifically wondering about is the correct sketch of the graph. This one above is rather confusing
Please check my post above if possible- it would be much appreciated:smile:

If the coefficient of x in x^2 is positive it will form a u-shaped graph and if it's negative it will form an n-shaped graph.
Original post by dont know it
If the coefficient of x in x^2 is positive it will form a u-shaped graph and if it's negative it will form an n-shaped graph.

Thanks but I am specifically talking about there being one graph on the axis not the one in the mark scheme. So this is not correct right:
89.PNG
It has to be the other way round? - so like n shaped?
Thanks but I am specifically talking about there being one graph on the axis not the one in the mark scheme. So this is not correct right:
89.PNG
It has to be the other way round? - so like n shaped?

No that is correct. By rearranging you get x^2+x-2>0. Since the coefficient of x is positive, you get a U-shape, so that's right.
Reply 13
Original post by dont know it
No that is correct. By rearranging you get x^2+x-2>0. Since the coefficient of x is positive, you get a U-shape, so that's right.

" x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6 --> -x^2 -x +2<0 --> x^2 +x -2>0 --> (x-1)(x+2)>0
Clearly, the graph has a maximum point as it is -x^2 -x +2<0. "

Just copy and pasted what OP did. I don't think the graph is correct cos this is the graph -x^2 -x +2<0 . The negative in front x^2 means it's got a maximum as opposed to a minimum point. The one OP has drawn is x^2 +x -2>0 and so the graph has been reflected which is wrong I think.
But that's just my gut instinct -hopefully some of the others will confirm:wink:
Original post by h26
" x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6 --> -x^2 -x +2<0 --> x^2 +x -2>0 --> (x-1)(x+2)>0
Clearly, the graph has a maximum point as it is -x^2 -x +2<0. "

Just copy and pasted what OP did. I don't think the graph is correct cos this is the graph -x^2 -x +2<0 . The negative in front x^2 means it's got a maximum as opposed to a minimum point. The one OP has drawn is x^2 +x -2>0 and so the graph has been reflected which is wrong I think.
But that's just my gut instinct -hopefully some of the others will confirm:wink:

You can do it either way I think depending on however you rearranged it. Also, if you multiply that equation by -1, you get x^2+x-2>0.

It would be extremely appreciated if you could please kindly reply back as you explain things so well.

Ahh thanks so much for replying :smile: So I see what you mean there. Just to make sense of this. Here is the thread for a similar question that you helped me with ages ago: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5154306&page=2
We or I :biggrin:came to the conclusion that the graph can be sketched in 2 ways:
First way:
87.PNG
Second way:
Attachment not found

However, now coming back to this, I think the second graph is wrong because I did x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6 --> -x^2 -x +2<0 --> x^2 +x -2>0 --> (x-1)(x+2)>0

I just felt I needed to refer back to this one as it contradicts the question in this thread
(edited 6 years ago)
It would be extremely appreciated if you could please kindly reply back as you explain things so well.

First way:

I just felt I needed to refer back to this one as it contradicts the question in this thread

It's not *wrong* it's just different graphs representing the same solutions to the inequality. If you want to sketch what the question lays out then yes you need to strictly follow the first way, but generally it doesn't matter.
It's not *wrong* it's just different graphs representing the same solutions to the inequality. If you want to sketch what the question lays out then yes you need to strictly follow the first way, but generally it doesn't matter.

Thanks so much for replying. But if we ignore working out the solutions to the inequality and focus on drawing the correct sketch of the graph - doesn't that mean that the graph for way 2(alternative graph i thought of) should have a upside down U shaped graph? Btw I understand the graph shown in the mark scheme is correct. I am just wondering if the the alternative graph should be U shaped or upside down U shaped?
This is what I mean by upside down U shaped: and this is caused by -x^2 -x +2<0 -the solutions would be x<-2 or x>1
91.PNG
This is what I mean by U shaped graph: and this is caused by x^2 +x -2>0 - the solutions would be be x<-2 or x>1
Attachment not found

Both these graphs are from x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6 and these graphs are not from the mark scheme -just an alternative graph i think could work
So I understand both these graphs yield the same solutions and they are both correct to use to work out the solutions. But what I am specifically asking is which one would be the correct representation/sketch of the graph x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6?

Would be really really appreciated if you could please reply back. Thank you so much!
(edited 6 years ago)
But what I am specifically asking is which one would be the correct representation/sketch of the graph x^2 +8<2x^2 +x +6?

Would be really really appreciated if you could please reply back. Thank you so much!

Neither or both, whichever way you want to think about it. But the point is that one does not take precedence over the other, they are both equally as fine in order to answer the original inequality and both are fine to sketch in order to answer it.
Neither or both, whichever way you want to think about it. But the point is that one does not take precedence over the other, they are both equally as fine in order to answer the original inequality and both are fine to sketch in order to answer it.

But why not for the question here then: I've quoted what you said about it below
81.PNG
-2x^2 +x +3≥ 0
2x^2 -x-3≤ 0
(2x-3)(x+1)≤ 0

84.PNG

Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest