bri90bri
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all, I just wanted to hear from all you guys out there who are mature medicine students as in mature ages. I am 27 and still not close to applying yet might not be till I am 30 by the time I am academically ready to apply.
JennyB85
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bri90bri)
Hello all, I just wanted to hear from all you guys out there who are mature medicine students as in mature ages. I am 27 and still not close to applying yet might not be till I am 30 by the time I am academically ready to apply.
Hi, i’m Not a med student yet, but i’m 32 and i’ve just received an offer, I was about 29 when I decided I wanted to be a doctor. I’ve been studying a degree with the Open uni, I was doing physics but changed to bio so I could pursue med.
I’ve got kids as well, a 10 year old and one that is 2 in a couple of days!
If it’s where your heart is go for it!
bri90bri
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JennyB85)
Hi, i’m Not a med student yet, but i’m 32 and i’ve just received an offer, I was about 29 when I decided I wanted to be a doctor. I’ve been studying a degree with the Open uni, I was doing physics but changed to bio so I could pursue med.
I’ve got kids as well, a 10 year old and one that is 2 in a couple of days!
If it’s where your heart is go for it!
Hi, its so good to read your comment, honestly. How did you find the Bio with the OU. I am doing K101 which is a healthcare course with them at the moment. I wanted to switch to the Bio route but I worry that it will be very hard going. I didnt do science at higher or anything so I am not sure if I would struggle.

Its great to hear you have kids as well. I just keep thinking how can I do this with 2 kids.
JennyB85
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bri90bri)
Hi, its so good to read your comment, honestly. How did you find the Bio with the OU. I am doing K101 which is a healthcare course with them at the moment. I wanted to switch to the Bio route but I worry that it will be very hard going. I didnt do science at higher or anything so I am not sure if I would struggle.

Its great to hear you have kids as well. I just keep thinking how can I do this with 2 kids.
Well I started out doing maths and physics, even did a level three module, but when I decided I wanted to do medicine I switched, I did human bio which is level 2 and now I am completing my level 3 bio modules. So it has been a bit difficult because I missed a lot of the earlier level bio stuff but I have managed and I’m still on track for a first.
Did you know that some unis (for medicine) accept certain OU modules instead of A-levels. Usually the level one 60 credit module exploring science (it may go by something different by now), the level two 30 credit human bio and then an optional module from a list. That may be easier than doing a whole degree?
As for not having done the science before, don’t worry about that, at level one they really do start with the very basics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads