The Student Room Group

Brexit already affecting the car manufacturers and pharmaceutical industry

Vauxhall is going cut down on the numbers of retailers it has. Nissan will Close it’s factory after brexit. Land Rover has cut jobs, temporary agency workers.

Pharmaceutical companies are holding back investment and some companies are already moving to the Euro.

Many more companies from outside these two industries have already left the U.K.

Scroll to see replies

....................so we should stay in and ignore the referendum ?
Reply 2
Was inevitable. Nothing to do with Brexit
Reply 3
Why would Brexit negatively affect car manufacturers? The EU and UK have both stated they want zero tariffs and in addition we can reduce the burden of regulations and trade more freely with the world.

There's good and bad news, Vauxhall has just announced it will build the Vivaro here, and manufacturing has grown much faster since the referendum.
Original post by bob072
Why would Brexit negatively affect car manufacturers? The EU and UK have both stated they want zero tariffs and in addition we can reduce the burden of regulations and trade more freely with the world.

There's good and bad news, Vauxhall has just announced it will build the Vivaro here, and manufacturing has grown much faster since the referendum.

Do not tell me that brexit is not negatively impacting car manufacturers when my dad who works in factory making land rovers for 17 years might be made redundant. His work has sent him a letter saying 120 staff will be made redundant out of the total of 250 staff that work there this month!

The people that work in the factory are from a different country (my dad Indian but holds British nationality now, polish people, Romanian people etc).

Their reason being was do to with brexit! The ONLY good news was that there are 2 models of the Range Rover cars coming out so there is some work- this is nothing to do with brexit (nevertheless 120 staff are getting fired).
Reply 5
Original post by Icypricy
Do not tell me that brexit is not negatively impacting car manufacturers when my dad who works in factory making land rovers for 17 years might be made redundant. His work has sent him a letter saying 120 staff will be made redundant out of the total of 250 staff that work there this month!

The people that work in the factory are from a different country (my dad Indian but holds British nationality now, polish people, Romanian people etc).

Their reason being was do to with brexit! The ONLY good news was that there are 2 models of the Range Rover cars coming out so there is some work- this is nothing to do with brexit (nevertheless 120 staff are getting fired).

My family also work at a Vauxhall plant where there is uncertainty about future jobs. But that's not down to Brexit, long term there's no negative impact, in the short term there's less demand at home for new cars but this is made up for by the boost in exports.
I’ve no idea what’s going on at Nissan and Vauxhall’s but JLR is nothing to do with brexit and everything to do with new car tax laws and confusion of the diesel emissions scandal in the uk
Just read about Vauxhall’s and the man in charge said it’s nothing to do with brexit
More to do with death of the diesel.

That has nothing to do with Brexit.

The far more greater aspect for the UK's economy is that the UK's productivity hasn't improved over the last decade, and is roughly 15-20% less than in France, Germany or the US (link). Companies want to make money so they're going to go where they can make more money. If the UK's productivity had shown signs of improvement perhaps companies wouldn't have decided to move.

I'm not saying Brexit has had no effect, but please can we all stop making ridiculous extrapolations.
Original post by Duncan2012
That has nothing to do with Brexit.

The far more greater aspect for the UK's economy is that the UK's productivity hasn't improved over the last decade, and is roughly 15-20% less than in France, Germany or the US (link). Companies want to make money so they're going to go where they can make more money. If the UK's productivity had shown signs of improvement perhaps companies wouldn't have decided to move.

I'm not saying Brexit has had no effect, but please can we all stop making ridiculous extrapolations.

Why are they getting rid of people if they want to increase productivity ??

Why is who?
Reply 12

Well if you have fewer people and the same output, you are have better productivity.

They will probably produce less but output per worker (however that is measured) will be able to increase. Maybe they don't feel they can supervise all their workers properly right now to make sure they are working hard. Also if people are scared for their jobs they will work harder
So youre mad that BREXIT is doing more for climate change than any single thing you little Europeans could dream off!?

KING FARAGE GOAT SAVING THE EARTH
Manufacturing is being hit by industry 4.0, aka automation, people are being replaced because they can't compete with a robot at simple tasks. Brexit is far from the main issue!
Reply 16
Original post by rudic990
Manufacturing is being hit by industry 4.0, aka automation, people are being replaced because they can't compete with a robot at simple tasks. Brexit is far from the main issue!

And the other big factor is energy prices, the EU has only pushed us to use expensive (even more so with the subsidies to rich landowners) green energy, while our heavy manufacturing has all moved to the Far East where they create even more emissions.
Original post by pereira325
They will probably produce less but output per worker (however that is measured) will be able to increase. Maybe they don't feel they can supervise all their workers properly right now to make sure they are working hard. Also if people are scared for their jobs they will work harder

How can you have workers producing less but output increased?

Not just you in this forum but your statement so confusing, yield rates are going up, automation doesn't make mistakes, it runs 24/7 and it doesn't need toilets. It's called Industry 4.0, its the thing for 2018 in manufacturing.

An unskilled workforce is an unskilled workforce which operators and assemblers are. Just because they are from germany/france doesn't make them have a higher output. Tooling is made to ensure mistakes are minimal, tach times are recorded to ensure a worker is meeting quota or they will be booted. But now we have robots so there is big change happening!
Original post by bob072

With regard to tariffs you are absolutely correct. However, under WTO rules if you offer 0% tarrifs to one country without a deal then you have to offer 0% tarrifs to everyone which means the UK would be flooded with cheap imported (cr@p) cars from China.

As for regulation - if you want to sell to the EU you must follow EU regulations. There is no benefit to the UK doing its own thing. Where the EU go, we will follow, except where as we used to have a say in EU regulation (and a veto) we won't even have a voice. It will be a take-it-or-leave-it scenario.

Interesting that the government was defeated today on the idea of no customs union in the Lords. It goes back to the Commons and if defeated by a Tory back-bench revolt, the idea of customs union as a hard line that must not be crossed will be off the cards.
Original post by rudic990
How can you have workers producing less but output increased?

Not just you in this forum but your statement so confusing, yield rates are going up, automation doesn't make mistakes, it runs 24/7 and it doesn't need toilets. It's called Industry 4.0, its the thing for 2018 in manufacturing.

An unskilled workforce is an unskilled workforce which operators and assemblers are. Just because they are from germany/france doesn't make them have a higher output. Tooling is made to ensure mistakes are minimal, tach times are recorded to ensure a worker is meeting quota or they will be booted. But now we have robots so there is big change happening!

*facepalm* There is a reason why I specified output per worker instead of output. They are two different things. Output per worker might be say 5 cars per hour (just an example) and output is 1000 cars per hour for the factory.
Automation has existed for some years now, I'm not sure why 2018 is the year it suddenly has massive impact tho (According to you). Unless they've been working without "robots" for so long, such significant cuts don't make easy sense.
Car manufacturing isn't something I do but it's well proven the UK has lower productivity levels to other nations (including EU ones like Germany, France).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending