The Student Room Group

BTECS

So I’m currently in my first year and struggling with my a level choices. So I’ve decided to speak to one of my teachers and ask to do btecs next year and drop the a levels . I have the choice of business BTEC or it BTEC. Should I do an extended diploma in one of the subjects or a subsidiary diploma and diploma with both of these subjects. Which of these will look better for uni?
Well I take BTEC ICT extended diploma which is equivalent to 3 A levels but it’s 2 years . A sub is equivalent to 2 a levels I think. I got onto the course I wanted at uni and it does depend the course you want to take at uni
Reply 2
Original post by Studentsmannny
So I’m currently in my first year and struggling with my a level choices. So I’ve decided to speak to one of my teachers and ask to do btecs next year and drop the a levels . I have the choice of business BTEC or it BTEC. Should I do an extended diploma in one of the subjects or a subsidiary diploma and diploma with both of these subjects. Which of these will look better for uni?

The Extended is more widely accepted. You'll find that a lot of universities do accept the Diploma / Subsidiary diploma combo, but don't always specify the required grades on their website, but usually just list the Extended diploma grades.

Out of your choices (Business and/or IT) I would suggest taking IT Extended Diploma, because you'll be able to get onto a Business related degree with either, but if you decide to take a more technical degree e.g. Computer Science, Computing, Software Engineering or even ITMB you'll find a lot of unis will specify the IT BTEC in the requirements.

There were several people from my BTEC IT class who went onto study a straight Business/Management degree and others who went onto study more technical subjects like Computer Science.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
The Extended is more widely accepted. You'll find that a lot of universities do accept the Diploma / Subsidiary diploma combo, but don't always specify the required grades on their website, but usually just list the Extended diploma grades.

Out of your choices (Business and/or IT) I would suggest taking IT Extended Diploma, because you'll be able to get onto a Business related degree with either, but if you decide to take a more technical degree e.g. Computer Science, Computing, Software Engineering or even ITMB you'll find a lot of unis will specify the IT BTEC in the requirements.

There were several people from my BTEC IT class who went onto study a straight Business/Management degree and others who went onto study more technical subjects like Computer Science.

Hope this helps :smile:

Really appreciate your reply :smile: Do you reckon the exetended BTEC IT course alone without any a levels be enough to get me into uni if I get good grades in it. And also how did u find the extended course was it hard and tricky or if I put my head down will I be able to achieve DDD as long as I put my work in.
Original post by itss_ana15
Well I take BTEC ICT extended diploma which is equivalent to 3 A levels but it’s 2 years . A sub is equivalent to 2 a levels I think. I got onto the course I wanted at uni and it does depend the course you want to take at uni

Hi I appreciate your reply. May I ask what course your are apply for at uni. Also did you just take the extended diploma alone in BTEC ICT without any other courses
Reply 5
Really appreciate your reply :smile: Do you reckon the exetended BTEC IT course alone without any a levels be enough to get me into uni if I get good grades in it. And also how did u find the extended course was it hard and tricky or if I put my head down will I be able to achieve DDD as long as I put my work in.

Almost all universities will accept it.

I did the IT Extended (with no A levels) and got D*D*D* which got me 5 uni offers and ended up going to a top 20 (at the time) to study Computer Science and now studying for my masters at a top 10 uni. I don't think any of my offers were above DDD so you'll be good if you aim for that.

The difficulty totally depends on the units that your college chooses to teach you.
Reply 6
Hey, I'm doing the Applied Law BTEC subsidiary diploma (with the first year doing the diploma) and I can tell you now it is 100% worth it. I got accepted into all 5 of my unis with my offers (Exeter x 2, York, Kent and Manchester), it doesn't look bad at all I promise, it's generally quite manageable you only have to do work throughout the year but I've finished everything on my applied law course now which means I can thoroughly revise my other subjects (psychology and politics) so trust me it helps massively with reducing workload. Plus if you get distinction on every single task which is quite easy as long as you work in lesson you will get a distinction star which all the uni's I applied to take it as an equivalent to an A* and you can say it requires individual work to make it seem more suitable for uni.
Hi I appreciate your reply. May I ask what course your are apply for at uni. Also did you just take the extended diploma alone in BTEC ICT without any other courses

The extended diploma is a heavy course so you would be unable to take an a level with it. I applied for uni business and HR
Original post by yt7777
Almost all universities will accept it.

I did the IT Extended (with no A levels) and got D*D*D* which got me 5 uni offers and ended up going to a top 20 (at the time) to study Computer Science and now studying for my masters at a top 10 uni. I don't think any of my offers were above DDD so you'll be good if you aim for that.

The difficulty totally depends on the units that your college chooses to teach you.

So I have the choice of doing the extended diploma in BTec IT or I can do just the Btec IT diploma with a level economics. WOULD YOU SAY I WAS BETTER OF DOING THE EXTENDED OR DOING THE DIPLOMA WITH ECONOMICS.
Original post by itss_ana15

So I have the choice of doing the extended diploma in BTec IT or I can do just the Btec IT diploma with a level economics. WOULD YOU SAY I WAS BETTER OF DOING THE EXTENDED OR DOING THE DIPLOMA WITH ECONOMICS.

It depends on what you want tbh
Reply 11

What is it you want to do after?

Personally, I'd say the Extended Diploma because you won't get onto a good Economics degree without A level Maths anyway so what's the point? Whereas, the BTEC Extended will get you onto most Business degrees as well as technical degrees like Computer Science.

Also, it's worth considering that the way the BTEC calculates your final grade makes sure that you never have 2 grades apart e.g. it impossible to get a grade like DMP. Whereas if you take the Diploma and get say, D*D and then you get a B in Economics this would be annoying when applying to units because they don't usually list standard offers with a 2 grade difference within the 3 grades.

Quick Reply

Latest