The Student Room Group

Can anyone good at maths work this out?

My university said they can work out the degree classification in 2 ways. They either just use the third year marks. Or they can contribute 25% from the second year, whichever works out best.

Im tryingbto work out what degree classification I’l get

In my second year I got 57.

This year involved 4 units each contributing 25 percent equally.

I got: 68, 59, 40, 60.

I know I’l get a 2.2 if they calculate just using the third year marks but what if they use 25 percent of my 2nd year marks? Im not sure how to work it out.
Original post by Anonymous
My university said they can work out the degree classification in 2 ways. They either just use the third year marks. Or they can contribute 25% from the second year, whichever works out best.

Im tryingbto work out what degree classification I’l get

In my second year I got 57.

This year involved 4 units each contributing 25 percent equally.

I got: 68, 59, 40, 60.

I know I’l get a 2.2 if they calculate just using the third year marks but what if they use 25 percent of my 2nd year marks? Im not sure how to work it out.

The problem is '25% from second year' is vague.

If it's what I assume it means, just using your second year overall grade x (in %) and third year overall grade y, your overall grade would be 0.25x + 0.75y. So if you got y=58 in 3rd year and x = 66 in second year then your overall is 60.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
The problem is '25% from second year' is vague.

If it's what I assume it means, just using your second year overall grade x (in %) and third year overall grade y, your overall grade would be 0.25x + 0.75y. So if you got y=58 in 3rd year and x = 66 in second year then your overall is 60.

Thanks.

I know what you mean, I think they just take 25 percent of the average mark from second year. This is what it says in the handbook. Its a shame I don't have the brains to work it out, its probably simple actually lol.

The final degree classification can be calculated in two ways. The classification that is awarded to a student shall be determined by applying whichever of the two classification methods set out in the Revised Regulations for Undergraduate Programmes of study is more beneficial to the student

METHOD ONE: WEIGHTED AGGREGATE CLASSIFICATION

The classification shall be determined according to an overall weighted average mark (M), which shall be calculated for each student based on a contribution of 25% of the weighted average from units at level 5 (second year) combined with 75% of the weighted average from units at level 6 (third year).

METHOD TWO: PROFILING

The classification shall be determined with reference only to the marks in level 6 units (third year), according to a classification table.
It doesn't matter as you got a 2.2 both years so the actual % might change a little but the overall grade won't.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks.

I know what you mean, I think they just take 25 percent of the average mark from second year. This is what it says in the handbook. Its a shame I don't have the brains to work it out, its probably simple actually lol.

The final degree classification can be calculated in two ways. The classification that is awarded to a student shall be determined by applying whichever of the two classification methods set out in the Revised Regulations for Undergraduate Programmes of study is more beneficial to the student

METHOD ONE: WEIGHTED AGGREGATE CLASSIFICATION

The classification shall be determined according to an overall weighted average mark (M), which shall be calculated for each student based on a contribution of 25% of the weighted average from units at level 5 (second year) combined with 75% of the weighted average from units at level 6 (third year).

METHOD TWO: PROFILING

The classification shall be determined with reference only to the marks in level 6 units (third year), according to a classification table.

It seems I was right, so you can use the calculation I suggested

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending