The Student Room Group

Calcium and Fluorine Reaction!

This question is about fluorine, I can't get my head around it. I searched in textbooks and internet still no answer, BTW I am in Year 11 and I will be sitting the GCSE Combined Science Paper (Higher Tier)

Calcium reacts with fluorine to produce calcium fluoride (CaF2).
Explain how oxidation and reduction have taken place in this reaction.
Write about electron transfer in your answer.
4 marks
calcium + flourine calcium flouride
Ca + F_2 CaF_2

this is an example of an ionic bond forming. here, the calcium atom loses 2 electrons, and the two flourine atoms each gain 1 electron.

the reaction equations above can be written as 2 separate 'half-equations':

Ca Ca^2+ + 2e^-
calcium atom calcium ion + 2 electrons

calcium's ion is positive, meaning that there are more protons than electrons. this happens when a calcium atom loses electrons.
since the calcium has 2 electrons separated from it, it loses electrons. oxidation is the loss of electrons.

F_2 + 2e^- 2F^-
a diatomic flourine molecule + 2 electrons 2 flourine ions

flourine's ion is negative, meaning that there are more electrons than protons. this happens when a flourine atom gains an electron.
since the flourine has 2 electrons added to it, it gains electrons. reduction is the gain of electrons.

therefore, calcium is oxidised and flourine is reduced.
Reply 2
Original post by euphrosynay
Ca + F_2 CaF_2

this is an example of an ionic bond forming. here, the calcium atom loses 2 electrons, and the two flourine atoms each gain 1 electron.

Ca Ca^2+ + 2e^-

calcium's ion is positive, meaning that there are more protons than electrons. this happens when a calcium atom loses electrons.
since the calcium has 2 electrons separated from it, it loses electrons. oxidation is the loss of electrons.

F_2 + 2e^- 2F^-

flourine's ion is negative, meaning that there are more electrons than protons. this happens when a flourine atom gains an electron.
since the flourine has 2 electrons added to it, it gains electrons. reduction is the gain of electrons.

Thank You Very Much!
I was just confused if the fluorine were ions or atoms (stupid).
Thank you !!
no problem! glad to clear up the issue :smile:
no problem! glad to clear up the issue :smile:

this helped me soo much time
Ca + F_2 CaF_2

Ca Ca^2+ + 2e^-

F_2 + 2e^- 2F^-

Omg thank you so much, this was on my hw and I think I got the wording mixed up or something!

Latest