The Student Room Group

Careers adviser Sophie is now live on TSR until 9pm!

Good evening all!

If you have questions about your career, education, employment or perhaps apprenticeships I'm live on TSR tonight to help.

Really interested to hear from you about how your revision is going and if you are starting to feel the exam stress?

I look forward to answering your questions - Sophie.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by National Careers Service
Good evening all!

If you have questions about your career, education, employment or perhaps apprenticeships I'm live on TSR tonight to help.

Really interested to hear from you about how your revision is going and if you are starting to feel the exam stress?

Hi Sophie,

I will shortly be starting a History degree, but I'm not sure what sort of job I will go into afterwards. I have thought about doing a masters in script-writing/professional writing afterwards, so that I can get into the entertainment industry, but I would also be interested in roles which are history-related, because I am really interested in forming my own interpretations of the past! Are there any employment opportunities you could recommend which would be linked to History, or perhaps ones which incorporate written skills in some way? Alternatively, are there any jobs where you are paid to do research? I am entirely open to options at this point.

Many thanks,
Daisy
Original post by DaisyDragon
Hi Sophie,

I will shortly be starting a History degree, but I'm not sure what sort of job I will go into afterwards. I have thought about doing a masters in script-writing/professional writing afterwards, so that I can get into the entertainment industry, but I would also be interested in roles which are history-related, because I am really interested in forming my own interpretations of the past! Are there any employment opportunities you could recommend which would be linked to History, or perhaps ones which incorporate written skills in some way? Alternatively, are there any jobs where you are paid to do research? I am entirely open to options at this point.

Many thanks,
Daisy

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your message this evening. There are a range of jobs which a History degree can open up to you and I have provided a list below:

Heritage manager

Historic buildings inspector or conservation officer

Museum education officer

Museum or gallery curator

Museum or gallery exhibitions officer

Secondary school teacher

Academic librarian

Archaeologist

Archivist

Broadcast journalist

Civil Service administrator

Editorial assistant

Information office

Politician's assistant

Some of these careers will require extra study after your degree and all will require you to have a great deal of work experience within the industry. A lot of the careers above will have opportunities for work experience and volunteering so you can start to get a good idea about what each role involves.

You can also start to research each job on our websites job profiles so you can find out more and hopefully help you to narrow down your ideas - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home

As you will see from the list above many of these will incorporate written skills and research. When you are employed for a historical organisation they often receive grants and funding for research so you could be part of upcoming research projects and be paid a wage.

How does this sound?

Thanks - Sophie.
Hi Daisy,

Thanks for your message this evening. There are a range of jobs which a History degree can open up to you and I have provided a list below:

Heritage manager

Historic buildings inspector or conservation officer

Museum education officer

Museum or gallery curator

Museum or gallery exhibitions officer

Secondary school teacher

Academic librarian

Archaeologist

Archivist

Broadcast journalist

Civil Service administrator

Editorial assistant

Information office

Politician's assistant

Some of these careers will require extra study after your degree and all will require you to have a great deal of work experience within the industry. A lot of the careers above will have opportunities for work experience and volunteering so you can start to get a good idea about what each role involves.

You can also start to research each job on our websites job profiles so you can find out more and hopefully help you to narrow down your ideas - https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/home

As you will see from the list above many of these will incorporate written skills and research. When you are employed for a historical organisation they often receive grants and funding for research so you could be part of upcoming research projects and be paid a wage.

How does this sound?

Thanks - Sophie.

Thank you very much! That is a really comprehensive answer, and I shall enjoy looking further into the jobs you've suggested. I am wondering however, how I will be able to gain the work experience, as the university I am attending is in a relatively small town, so there are not many local opportunities. Do you know if any historical organisations ever have residential internships?

Best,
Daisy
Original post by DaisyDragon
Thank you very much! That is a really comprehensive answer, and I shall enjoy looking further into the jobs you've suggested. I am wondering however, how I will be able to gain the work experience, as the university I am attending is in a relatively small town, so there are not many local opportunities. Do you know if any historical organisations ever have residential internships?

Best,
Daisy

That's a great question Daisy and something which is a real barrier for a lot of people when looking for work experience.

Historical organisations tend to accept volunteers as they often need support to keep the organisations going. Heritage sites, museums and even libraries are all good places to start.

Have a search on the following websites to see what you can find where you will be studying:

www.do-it.org

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

I hope this helps, I'm live until 9pm if you have any further questions and if you need advice when we are not online you can speak with our advisers on 0800 100 900.

Thanks - Sophie.
That's a great question Daisy and something which is a real barrier for a lot of people when looking for work experience.

Historical organisations tend to accept volunteers as they often need support to keep the organisations going. Heritage sites, museums and even libraries are all good places to start.

Have a search on the following websites to see what you can find where you will be studying:

www.do-it.org

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

I hope this helps, I'm live until 9pm if you have any further questions and if you need advice when we are not online you can speak with our advisers on 0800 100 900.

Thanks - Sophie.

I've had a quick look and there seem to be some promising volunteering opportunities with the English Heritage, in particular. Thank you once again!
Daisy
I'm still live on TSR as well as Facebook and Twitter to answer any questions you have tonight!

From revision to exam stress, work experience to writing your first CV. I'll do my best to help you this evening.

Sophie.
Hi, My name is Sarah. I am currently in Year 12 and I don’t like the subjects I’m taking as they are essay based subjects and won’t lead me to a career I would like. I was wondering if I could retake the year but not sure if universities would accept retaking a whole year with different subjects. My first question is: Do universities accept retaking a year? Will sixth forms allow me to do two of my a levels and pick up an AS and finish the AS On a gap year? How can I know what degree I would like to study? Shall I just not take my AS exams as I don’t think I’ll get above a D? Will it affect uni?
Original post by Student guest
Hi, My name is Sarah. I am currently in Year 12 and I don’t like the subjects I’m taking as they are essay based subjects and won’t lead me to a career I would like. I was wondering if I could retake the year but not sure if universities would accept retaking a whole year with different subjects. My first question is: Do universities accept retaking a year? Will sixth forms allow me to do two of my a levels and pick up an AS and finish the AS On a gap year? How can I know what degree I would like to study? Shall I just not take my AS exams as I don’t think I’ll get above a D? Will it affect uni?

Hi Sarah,

That's a lot of questions! Let me work through these one by one for you.

1. Re-taking your A-levels

You can re-take your A-levels and this shouldn't go against you when applying to university. We all change our minds and sometimes make mistakes with the subjects we choose so they will be understanding of this. What I would advise you do is check with your sixth form if they will allow you to start your first year again there with different subjects. What this comes down to essentially is funding, have a chat with your sixth form as soon as you can about starting over and get enrolled onto different subjects for September.

2. Will sixth forms allow me to do two of my a levels and pick up an AS and finish the AS on a gap year?

This is difficult to answer, as it wouldn't be classed as a Gap Year if you are in some form of education and would be down to the discretion of the sixth form. I mentioned funding earlier and will explain a little more here. You get your first level 3 funded for you which is your A-levels however once you turn 19 (which you may if you take an extra year) you become an adult learner. If you already have a level 3 and go back to complete another one or start a new level 3 you may need to fund this yourself.

3. How can I know what degree I would like to study?

Again really difficult to answer without knowing a little more about you. What subjects are you thinking about taking next year? What are your career goals?

4. Shall I just not take my AS exams as I don’t think I’ll get above a D? Will it affect uni?

This one I would say decide once you know that you can start again in September. If you re-enrol for September on new subjects and really feel that you do not wish to continue with your current subjects this is your decision. However your AS levels will accumulate some UCAS points so it may even be in your benefit when applying to uni to have these even at AS level.

I really hope that all sounds okay Sarah, please do get back in touch to answer the questions I asked through to see if I can help further.

Thanks - Sophie.
Good evening all!

I’m stressing for mocks and I am doing AS. I don’t know what to do.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I’m stressing for mocks and I am doing AS. I don’t know what to do.

Hi there,

Exams and revision are a really stressful time. A little bit of stress is good as it motivates you to do something about it, too much is bad and it means you are less productive.

Tell more about how you are revising for your mocks?

Thanks - Sophie
How can I get a passive income after A level?
Reply 12
Good evening all!

Hi,
do you think American degrees hold more weight than UK ones in the UK?

i.e. Say I had a physics degree from Imperial (8th World Ranking) vs Physics major and computer Sciences minor from the University of Chicago (9th World Ranking)
Original post by Life864

Hi there,

A lot of people who have a 'passive income' do so by investing money first in things like property which they rent or by investing in stocks and shares and collecting dividends.

You could also start your own business and hire someone else to do they day to day running.

It's a difficult one and it can take a bit of luck and also the financial support you need to get started.

Did you have any ideas about what you would like to do?

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by Life864

You get real estate and start renting. Or - if your parents allow it - you can rent out your room to get a weekly income.
Original post by Life864

You can also start investing into stocks and bonds - but believe me when i say it's not as easy as it sounds.
Original post by yusyus
Hi,
do you think American degrees hold more weight than UK ones in the UK?

i.e. Say I had a physics degree from Imperial (8th World Ranking) vs Physics major and computer Sciences minor from the University of Chicago (9th World Ranking)

Hi there,

Your degree is worth the same regardless of where it comes from. What you would need to be sure about is that the degree from the America is accredited and recognised in the UK or you may find that you need to do additional qualifications on your return.

Are you thinking about studying for your degree in America?

Thanks - Sophie.
what can i do after an accounting degree thats not got anything to do with getting an ACCA or getting a CA qualification?
Reply 18
Hi there,

Your degree is worth the same regardless of where it comes from. What you would need to be sure about is that the degree from the America is accredited and recognised in the UK or you may find that you need to do additional qualifications on your return.

Are you thinking about studying for your degree in America?

Thanks - Sophie.

Thanks,
Yeah, I am currently considering it; I heard that since they cover a lot more in am American Degree their graduates would be more employable.
Hi there,

A lot of people who have a 'passive income' do so by investing money first in things like property which they rent or by investing in stocks and shares and collecting dividends.

You could also start your own business and hire someone else to do they day to day running.

It's a difficult one and it can take a bit of luck and also the financial support you need to get started.

Did you have any ideas about what you would like to do?

Thanks - Sophie.

I have no idea. I do have some money to invest though if needed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending