The Student Room Group

Didn’t get into midwifery// HELP

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help give me some advice or information on a decision I need to make very fast.

I haven’t got into Salford University for midwifery and have no other choices for it because I don’t want to move away.

I can now either wait a year and get some sort of healthcare job to give me more experience before applying again (I have been told it will still be hard for me next year because of my age). this could either go well and I get a place next year or I run the risk of not getting in again and wasting more time.

Or, I can start trying to apply for nursing with extra on UCAS and do that for 3 years then midwifery. Although I don’t want to end up not liking nursing and really struggling plus it’s longer to get to the career I wanted.

Just wondering if anyone has had this same kind of experience with midwifery and how they dealt with it or any advice at all.

Thankyou for any help!
Original post by JayeDurose
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help give me some advice or information on a decision I need to make very fast.

I haven’t got into Salford University for midwifery and have no other choices for it because I don’t want to move away.

I can now either wait a year and get some sort of healthcare job to give me more experience before applying again (I have been told it will still be hard for me next year because of my age). this could either go well and I get a place next year or I run the risk of not getting in again and wasting more time.

Or, I can start trying to apply for nursing with extra on UCAS and do that for 3 years then midwifery. Although I don’t want to end up not liking nursing and really struggling plus it’s longer to get to the career I wanted.

Just wondering if anyone has had this same kind of experience with midwifery and how they dealt with it or any advice at all.

Thankyou for any help!

Hi, I’m sorry that you haven’t been successful this year with your application. Did you get some feedback from the university at all? This can give you an idea of how to improve your application if you do want to apply again.
When you say about applying for nursing through extras, just consider that firstly, the midwifery conversion may not be available when you complete your degree plus they are competitive & few universities offer it. And secondly, that the degree is tough even when your heart is in it, so be sure you will enjoy the nursing degree if you do decide to apply. (I don’t want to be really negative, I just want you to be sure if you do apply for nursing).
I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, I’m sorry that you haven’t been successful this year with your application. Did you get some feedback from the university at all? This can give you an idea of how to improve your application if you do want to apply again.
When you say about applying for nursing through extras, just consider that firstly, the midwifery conversion may not be available when you complete your degree plus they are competitive & few universities offer it. And secondly, that the degree is tough even when your heart is in it, so be sure you will enjoy the nursing degree if you do decide to apply. (I don’t want to be really negative, I just want you to be sure if you do apply for nursing).
I hope this helps.

Thankyou so much, that really helped as I hadn’t even thought about it being hard to get into after nursing!
Thankyou so much, that really helped as I hadn’t even thought about it being hard to get into after nursing!

Glad I could help. Act on any feedback they have given you and move on from there.
Good luck with everything.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mel_l218
Glad I could help. Act on any feedback they have given you as move on from there.
Good luck with everything.

Ye I think I’m going to ring them because the only feedback they out was that my score fell below what they wanted, thankyou😊
What's the issue with your age?
Reply 6
Original post by DrSocSciences
What's the issue with your age?

I have been told by my college teachers that because I am only 18 soon and just a college leaver that people have a lot more of an advantage over me. They say it’s because they have more life experience.
I have been told by my college teachers that because I am only 18 soon and just a college leaver that people have a lot more of an advantage over me. They say it’s because they have more life experience.

Oh ok, well that sheds light on the Salford feedback. I can't contribute to your dilemma, other than to say that I have huge respect for both the nursing and midwifery professions. Good luck.
Since your only 18 I wouldn't go for nursing unless your heart is really in it. Go gain some experience and reapply next yr, time is very much on your side and if MWery is what you want don't settle for something else.
Reply 9
Original post by bunnieboo
Since your only 18 I wouldn't go for nursing unless your heart is really in it. Go gain some experience and reapply next yr, time is very much on your side and if MWery is what you want don't settle for something else.

Thankyou for the advice, I am swaying towards just getting experience now since I’m not totally up for nursing
Hi,

Thankyou for any help!

I didn't get into uni last year for children's nursing so I took a gap year and reapplied. It's not as bad as you might think! Gives you a lot of time to save up some money too. Definitely stick with midwifery because it's what you want to do! Good luck with whatever you decide to do☺️x
Reply 11
Original post by elise68
I didn't get into uni last year for children's nursing so I took a gap year and reapplied. It's not as bad as you might think! Gives you a lot of time to save up some money too. Definitely stick with midwifery because it's what you want to do! Good luck with whatever you decide to do☺️x

Thankyou so much😊x
Thankyou so much😊x

If you want any advice or have any questions about reapplying or anything then feel free to message me😊x
Hi,

Thankyou for any help!

U can always try thru clearing on results day
Reply 14
Original post by elise68
If you want any advice or have any questions about reapplying or anything then feel free to message me😊x

I appreciate it😊x
Reply 15
Original post by choco_monsterxo
U can always try thru clearing on results day

Ye that’s true, thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending